Grim Reaper Achievment Strategy (No Glitch "Legit" Way)

SamuraiSwede

First off, I know that there is a "Reaper on Hard" thread already, I just wanted to throw a few stratagies out there to help people who are having trouble with it. Also, half that thread is talking about the "Dupe Glitch" and what you can and can not do to get the achievement. (IE, changing difficulty right before you fight him.)

Aaaaalso! This is my first guide-type-thing. So please don't throw stones at me if this doesn't work for you :)

I beat the Harvester with a Warden Warrior and a Warden Rogue

NOTE: I chose the "New Character" option for the Warrior and the second time I beat him, I imported my lv35 Rogue.

Warden Warrior (1st Time)

I did the Warrior first because after reading the threads about how hard the Harvester was, and at the time I didn't remember that I had a 35Rogue to import... (I also played the whole thing on Hard, at the time I wasn't sure if you could change the difficulty midway through the DLC and still get the achievement.) The second I got into Amgarrak, i knew this DLC was gonna' be a pain. Especially after reading all the, "The Grim Reaper achievement is IMPOSSABLE." stuff I wasn't exactly confident. Anywho, after a couple hours of banging my head against the wall after dying by 6 golems attacking me, I finally got to the Harvester...

Okay, first things first. You need to make sure you've fully upgraded your Runic Golem buddy. (Finding all his level up/skill scrolls scattered throughout Amgarrak). Once you get "Group Heal" and "Flaming Weapons", go into his tactics and set "Group Heal" to cast it every chance he gets. Also set "Flaming Weapons" to be active at all times as well. Your Runic Golem is just going to be healing you and occasionaly throwing rocks at the Harvester. For you're Dwarven Rogue, I gave him a bow and just had him constantly shoot the Harvester at a distance. He'll die in about 2 seconds if the Harvester starts attacking him. Lastly, have your Dwarven Warrior buddy just beating the hell out of our friend the Harvester. So, that's what your AI buddies will be doing, and most likely they WILL die by the end of the fight. So don't freak out and load your game everytime once of your party members die.

NOTE: The Runic Golem can revive people if you get the appropriate skill scroll.

Now, you're job is to always have the Harvester's attention. So you'll want to have your Warden with the Tanking skill set. (You get a Book that you can use to reset your skills/attributes/etc when you play this DLC. When i started it, my Warden was using a 2-Handed sword, but i just used the book before the boss fight and gave him Sword&Shield and the tanking skills.)

There are two stages to this fight.

First Stage

The first stage is fighting the Harvester with the head and body. There's a "Button" to the right of the Harvester if you're staring directly at him when you start the fight. Every time the screen gets that reddish tint to it, you need to hit that button. It gets rid of all his skeleton minion buddies. Now, i basically did ONE thing for this fight... I ran around the room and let my party members attack him. If he started attacking one of my buddies, i would just switch to that party member and continue to kite him around the room. Remembering to hit the switches every time the red mist came to keep the skellys down. When the Harvester hits about 1/3 HP, you will not be able to get rid of his skeletons anymore by hitting the switch. The second you press it, he'll just summon all of them again instantly. At this point, your party members are probably dead. If not, i applaud you. The remaining 1/3HP is gonna' take quite awhile to get rid of. You're basically gonna' run him around the room and attack him ONLY when you have "Carapace" activated. (I believe this is the 2nd skill in the 3rd row of the class skills.) Otherwise, the 4-5 skellys + Harvester will just dominate you. Eventually, you'll take him down and enter stage 2...

Second Stage

Yay! You've killed it!!! Just kidding, now the head pops off and you get to fight that! Woot.

Personally, I thought this part was SUPER easy compared to the first stage. Using your "Run around like a scottish lass" technique, (Running around then attacking while carapace is activated) is all you'll need to do to take down the second stage. Yes, it's really that simple. Granted, this takes awhile to do, but it gets the job done. Once you kill the creepy head, ding, "Grim Reaper" achievement unlocked.

Once again, this strategy will take you a couple failed attempts to figure out how to move around the boss area and time your attacks right. Just stick with it and you'll be jumping for joy once you hear the heavenly ding sound of your hard earned, "Grim Reaper" achievement!

Warden Rogue (Imported)

If you have a character that you can import, who is lv35. This fight is easy. End of story. No strategy required. Just make sure you have ample health potions and good equipment. (Which shouldn't be a problem if you legit leveled your character up through playing Origins/Awakening)

Good luck!

Yeah nice guide.

I've boosted my dwar two handed warrior to unlock the achievements but I wanted to try the book which reset the stats (I didnt know about that before) and Importer my lvl 33 Warrior with shields.

With Carapace on and all the tank skills, it makes a huge difference.

Before I played this DLC, I was getting concerned about the difficulty on acquiring the Grim Reaper achv. So I was seriously considering on doing the duping glitch.

I decided to just try it out with my level 35 Rogue legit and see for myself how truly hard it was on hard against the Harvester.

And surprisingly enough, it was a heck of a lot easier than I feared it would be.

Afterwards, I ran through my stats and tried it again to see what damage I was taking from the harvester and the skeletons, b/c I couldn't for the life of me, find nor activate the switches.

2 out of 3 times the skeletons were missing on their attacks on me, and on average when they did hit, was around 23 to 28 points of damage.

Harvester averaged around 43 to 48 points of damage.

It's not necessary to dupe the tomes, but it is necessary to make sure your character plays their strengths. Warrior for strength and constitution, Mages for their magic and intelligence, Rogues for the dexterity and cunning.

My only stats that were high was dexterity at 101, next highest was strength at 69, cunning was actually around 47, b/c anymore was negligible when it came to lock picking, etc.

What helped were the accessories: lifegiver, spellward, Anruil's Blessing and the Key to the City.

Added to that was the Felon's coast, level 9 thieves boots and gloves from the another dlc (sorry don't know the names, and wicked upgraded executioners helmet, etc.

My weapons Veshialle and a sword made from the ore of an asteroid, had element resistance, cold, electric runes.

In addition, with my dual wield skills, I had to passive attack bonuses.

With this setup, i was getting an additional 30% bonus to my potions.

10-15 percent boost on critical strikes. Good bonus on my evades.

I had the allies replenish their health at 50%, and the golem do the group heal at 50%. And just concentrated on the attacking the Harvester.

First form was easy, and all allies managed to survive.

2nd form, all allies died, but just kept evading, drinking potions and concentrated on killing only the harvester.

Man, you're AWESOME! Your strategy to run around whilhe the other character hit the boss is wonderfull. I passed the first form on my first try, it wasn't hard at all! Barely used any potions, two or three tops!

To make things even better, on the second part, the boss started running away, making my party disengage from combat! I could save, heal everybody, recover my stamine and run to the boss to kill him really quickly!

AWESOOOOOOOOOME! I was so afraid of the difficulty because of all the coments here. So glad I got so lucky :p

First try and boss dead, in part thanks to you, in part thanks to a bug in the middle of the fight :Bounce:

How does one use the book that lets you reset your stats? I can't access it from my Usable items menu at all. Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: Nevermind, forgot you're meant to access it from the Radial menu >_<

Edited by Braddy J

I can't even hurt him in part 2. By the end of part one, my team is all dead and the skeletons are raping me. My technique was run around, using potions 2-3 times, then throw a bomb. By part two im out of bombs and anytime I try to attack, the skeletons overwhelm me. This is incredibly frustrating.

I haven't even tried it yet, so this may be a stupid question, but are you a high enough level?

Do you have points in Ghose or Stregnth of Stone? Either one of those abilities will give you a momentary immunity from the onslaught of Skeletons allowing you to either shoot the boss or recover potions. When it wears, just do some more laps while you wait for timers to come back.

I'm gonna go ahead and now argue that it can be done with a 2H warrior. The Harverster IS stunnable, and paralyzable. I set Brogan to tank with attack speed and paralysis runes, and my warrior used all of his single-target sustainable abilities (indomitable, precise striking, berserk, blood thirst, etc.) Phase 1 lasted all of 40 seconds, and Phase 2 involved a lot of chasing still, but he died no problem. When you have Blood Thirst up, it's very easy and fast to run to that switch and turn it off. But this IS with an imported character. I don't know if you get the blood abilities without importing...

I haven't played this DLC yet, but I've noticed everyone says to use a warrior or rogue. I have a lvl 30 something mage from my awakening/origins I was planning to import. I'm aware, you friendly fire like crazy with mages, but do you think it's doable with a mage? I'd like to try beating it on hard with a mage as my main :p Any advice for a mage would be awesome :D Thankss

I haven't played this DLC yet, but I've noticed everyone says to use a warrior or rogue. I have a lvl 30 something mage from my awakening/origins I was planning to import. I'm aware, you friendly fire like crazy with mages, but do you think it's doable with a mage? I'd like to try beating it on hard with a mage as my main :p Any advice for a mage would be awesome :D Thankss

A buddy of mine said it was pretty easy with an Arcane Warrior Mage. I think he was exaggerating, but he got the achievement (I did it as a Tank). You get to respec in this DLC with a new Tome.

Thanks SamuraiSwede for the tips.

Edited by BuddyRusso

so i have a great story to go along with this strat... i entered phase 2, following the the strategy(except i hit the switch every time i could... he didnt spawn the skellies like the OP said). at about 50% HP on the head, i notice i need some stamina, so i go for one of my stam pots. i wasnt paying close enough attention to what i was doing, and instead of the stam pot i clicked the tome to reset your skills. so now im running around naked, while my party is continuing the fight... and somehow i still had aggro on the head and skellies. the party ended up downing him though... so all is well but i was about to go crazy if i got killed.

so i have a great story to go along with this strat... i entered phase 2, following the the strategy(except i hit the switch every time i could... he didnt spawn the skellies like the OP said). at about 50% HP on the head, i notice i need some stamina, so i go for one of my stam pots. i wasnt paying close enough attention to what i was doing, and instead of the stam pot i clicked the tome to reset your skills. so now im running around naked, while my party is continuing the fight... and somehow i still had aggro on the head and skellies. the party ended up downing him though... so all is well but i was about to go crazy if i got killed.

Buahahahah! That's great! Grats on somehow not dying!

Kind of lame that they would allow that tome to work in combat though eh? ;)

For doing it as a Rogue, just boost your DEX to 100+ and you'll be fine. Also, using Duel-Weapon fighting is easier then trying to shoot him with a bow... Just my opinion though.

And sorry about not responding to questions asked, I haven't had access to my computer for the past weeks

A buddy of mine said it was pretty easy with an Arcane Warrior Mage.

Ah my mage is everything except an arcane warrior lol. Well my character accidentally got deleted so I might make an arcane warrior mage along with spirit healer. I'm pretty determined to get it beat with a mage. Thanks :)