Best Kinect game for losing weight/working out?

iheardUrip1

Been looking for a kinect title to work out with. I was thinking UFC Personal Trainer because it looks like a tough workout (which is good considering I need to lose some weight now while I'm still in my 20's) but I was browsing through the forums and it seems like a hit and miss. Still interested though, but are there any games like that that you would recommend for losing weight/working out?

Even if it's like Kinect Sports or Fighters Uncaged. Whatever you think helps/has helped.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would honestly suggest just doing some of the dancing games. you're staying active. the workout specific games don't always track right, and it really is hit or miss. really just causes more frustration than anything most of the time. at least with dancing games, you're still getting a decent workout, having a little bit of fun, and even if it does mess up tracking, you just replay the song and move on with your day.

I haven't tried UFC yet saving it for after the summer. I have tried both Your Shape games, Get Fit With Mel B, Jillian Michaels and EA Sports Active 2 and for me since I have a problem with getting started and beeing motivated to train EA Sports Active 2 was the best since the 9 week program kept me going. Be warned tho that you can't get 100% in that game anymore. Your Shape 2012 have good workouts but you have to constantly pick workouts yourself and I found it hard to know when to switch and if I'd be able to properly do a workout or not. Jillian Michaels Adventure mode was fairly hard but I wasn't very motivated to go back to it after I got the achievements due to bad tracking forcing you to do workouts the wrong way (might just be my gaming area tho dunno) Get Fit With Mel B isn't a bad game but it doesn't really push you, you do sweat but you don't really get tired from it.

So my advice is to look what you _need_ from a training game since they all work a bit different.

Edited by Kinkimono

...the dancing games are probably good. I think that when they get just a bit better tech or software, so that the fighting/boxing type games actually work, a lot more people will get into motion gaming.

You should play UFC Personal Trainer, that's a fantastic game. You can't fight exactly but the sparing and punchbag workouts are the bomb, the closest they've come to perfection fighting wise in a Kinect game so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I go to Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports and Your Shape for my workouts. I'm also real eager to try out Zumba Rush and Nike+ Kinect Training when it's out.

I tried Jillian but it didn't really work too well, I assumed it just blew at picking things up all that well but since others liked it maybe it was due to my space, so I guess I should try it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends !!! Hey so I have finally had enough of being overweight and I have a few resources at home and I just wondered what sort of exercises routine I should do around my work schedule. i have never done a serious work out before but i want to change that. i recently used my game for the xbox kinect and i think i done it wrong because i done squats without warming up properly and now i cant even walk, sit down, go up down the stairs without being in extreme pain...

Hi friends !!! Hey so I have finally had enough of being overweight and I have a few resources at home and I just wondered what sort of exercises routine I should do around my work schedule. i have never done a serious work out before but i want to change that. i recently used my game for the xbox kinect and i think i done it wrong because i done squats without warming up properly and now i cant even walk, sit down, go up down the stairs without being in extreme pain...

Great question! I can answer it from very personal experience.

I think the first important thing is that you have to be committed to changing your lifestyle. For me, I was skipping breakfast, running the the local food truck for lunch, and stuffing myself late at night with a huge dinner. I'd exercise 30 minutes a day and wonder why the heck I wasn't losing any weight.

I went on one of those diet programs. They're all pretty bad in terms of food, but what I like is that they teach you good habits. I forced myself to eat five meals a day, all very light. It's counterintuitive, but doing this helped improve my metabolism, which meant workouts were all the more effective. I threw in some weight training as well.

The Kinect has been a big part of it. I like this list of the best Kinect fitness games, although there are plenty of other great sites out there that give good advice. In the past Kung Fu High Impact has been by far the best fitness game for me. I could play it every day.

Sadly, KFHI isn't supported by the Kinect PlayFit, and lately I've grown addicted to tracking my progress on that. So what I do is I just mix up the games every day. I'll do Kinect Sports 2 one day, Star Wars Kinect the next day, Dance Central, etc. The key isn't really what game to play, just choosing games that elevate your heart rate for a sustained 20-30 minutes a day for at least 4-5 days a week.

I'll be honest, I bought The Biggest Loser and Your Shape, but my attention span is such that I get really bored really fast with them. If you're disciplined, they're the most efficient workouts. But I tend to stick with "fun" games. They provide a little less of a cardio workout, so I just play them a little longer (one caveat is that PlayFit calorie tracking trusts whatever the game tells it, so don't necessarily trust the calorie count, just trust how much you're sweating and your heart is racing).

As for the pain you're feeling, if it's a shooting pain or intense persistent pain, you might want to see a doctor for advice. On the other hand, if it's extreme soreness that clears up over a day or two, that's actually a very good thing. It means that your muscles are being used, and the soreness is your body repairing them. My best advice is to just start slowly, and then work your way to the more intense exercises.

The most important thing is commitment. You need to force yourself to do it every day, no matter what's on TV that night, no matter how tired you are mentally. Stick with it, and I guarantee you will see progress. We're all rooting for you :)

Edited by HwCh

Kinect Adventures obstacle course is more difficult ('moves' you more) than any of the other mini-game compilations. I think its way better than Downhill Dodge on Kin Sports2.

Your Shape'12 is great; not nearly as 'squat' heavy as the first one. I use PlayFit, and the top burners on my friends list all play Dance Central 2, so there must be something to that.