Pro Guitar - Squier vs. Mustang

snipingheadshot

I know that the Squier will be the real guitar and the Mustang will be the guitar controller with a MIDI output. I want to buy the Squier when it comes out, but I want to make sure of something first. The Mustang technically only has 17 buttons because the guitar can't tell which string you have your finger on, only which fret. So will the Squier have 132 buttons (22 frets x 6 strings) or will it only have the 22 buttons (if the guitar can't tell what string you have your finger on). If it doesn't have 132 buttons, then I will just buy the Mustang. Any fellow guitar players should understand this. I know that the Squier isn't out yet, but any feedback will be appreciated.

I know that the Squier will be the real guitar and the Mustang will be the guitar controller with a MIDI output. I want to buy the Squier when it comes out, but I want to make sure of something first. The Mustang technically only has 17 buttons because the guitar can't tell which string you have your finger on, only which fret. So will the Squier have 132 buttons (22 frets x 6 strings) or will it only have the 22 buttons (if the guitar can't tell what string you have your finger on). If it doesn't have 132 buttons, then I will just buy the Mustang. Any fellow guitar players should understand this. I know that the Squier isn't out yet, but any feedback will be appreciated.

Have you seen how chords work in pro mode? Those would be completely impossible if the Squier couldn't tell which string each finger was on, so it very clearly can tell.

I think you're mixing it up with PowerGig's horrible, horrible guitar.

Have you seen how chords work in pro mode? Those would be completely impossible if the Squier couldn't tell which string each finger was on, so it very clearly can tell.

I think you're mixing it up with PowerGig's horrible, horrible guitar.

Unless the Mustang and Squier have different modes because they are different guitars, then yes, I have seen how the chords work and Mustang can't tell what string you have your finger on, only which fret. I have seen several videos where the player had their finger on the 7th fret of the E AND the A string to play a chord where you need to play the 5th on the E and the 7th on the A. So he only had to put his finger on the highest fret covering the entire string (like a barre chord) to play that chord, which is obviously incorrect, but the game recognized it as correct and he didn't break his multiplier.

Those sorts of questions seem pretty difficult to answer until the pro guitar controller is widely available, the MIDI interface and controller box is shipping, and the Fender Squire actually becomes something other than vaporware.

For now, maybe all we can say is that one is a game controller that goes right into the game, and the other is a guitar that goes into the game through a controller interface. We'll have to wait for it all to work to know if there's a difference between how the Mustang and Squire functionally operate as in the game.

Unless the Mustang and Squier have different modes because they are different guitars, then yes, I have seen how the chords work and Mustang can't tell what string you have your finger on, only which fret. I have seen several videos where the player had their finger on the 7th fret of the E AND the A string to play a chord where you need to play the 5th on the E and the 7th on the A. So he only had to put his finger on the highest fret covering the entire string (like a barre chord) to play that chord, which is obviously incorrect, but the game recognized it as correct and he didn't break his multiplier.

You were probably watching a vid of a song in drop D tuning, which makes power chords on the lower strings a barre chord across the same fret. Both guitars recognize and require you to fret correctly on every string.

The mustang has individual buttons on each fret to mimic holding down a string, so yes, it will be able to tell which string you're on. As far as the Squier, it has technology that allows the game to know where your fingers are at on each string. This is very evident even in the feature that shows where your hands are at on the neck of the guitar even while you are not holding anything down. I'm sure you can do a simple google or youtube search to confirm all this information.

The mustang has individual buttons on each fret to mimic holding down a string, so yes, it will be able to tell which string you're on. As far as the Squier, it has technology that allows the game to know where your fingers are at on each string. This is very evident even in the feature that shows where your hands are at on the neck of the guitar even while you are not holding anything down. I'm sure you can do a simple google or youtube search to confirm all this information.

I have done plenty of research, but like SFAL said, it is hard when they are not widely available. As ILoveAztecChick said, it is probable that I misinterpreted the chord. Just today, I saw a video where he actually showed himself pressing each fret on each string and the game's recognition of this. So, yes, the Mustang can tell which string is fretted. The Mustang came out November 1st, correct? Hopefully, I will be able to find more videos; I have seen almost every single one on Youtube.

I have done plenty of research, but like SFAL said, it is hard when they are not widely available. As ILoveAztecChick said, it is probable that I misinterpreted the chord. Just today, I saw a video where he actually showed himself pressing each fret on each string and the game's recognition of this. So, yes, the Mustang can tell which string is fretted. The Mustang came out November 1st, correct? Hopefully, I will be able to find more videos; I have seen almost every single one on Youtube.

I don't think the Mustang is out til later this month: "Preorder this item today and it should ship on 11/22/2010"

Source: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rock-Band-3-Wireless-Fender-Mustang-Pro-Guitar-Controller-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/15119032

It seems there are a few different dates out there, but I would lean more towards Amazon having the correct date over Walmart and Amazon says it's released on Nov. 24th. I don't know, either way not til the end of the month.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Mustang-PRO-Guitar-Controller-PlayStation-3/dp/B003RS1A7Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288727361&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Rock Band 3 Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller for PlayStation 3: Video Games[/ame]

I'm going with Amazon on this one, around the end of this month for the controller.

As for the guitar, we'll have to wait for next March, but at least we've got a number, $280

We'll see how the availability for each of them goes.

• 4 weeks later...

"Have you seen how chords work in pro mode? Those would be completely impossible if the Squier couldn't tell which string each finger was on, so it very clearly can tell."

NO, I CANT FIND ANY GOOD VIDS ON YOUTUBE. WOULD SOMEONE POST A LINK PLEASE?

I'm going with Amazon on this one, around the end of this month for the controller.

As for the guitar, we'll have to wait for next March, but at least we've got a number, $280

We'll see how the availability for each of them goes.

well, its going to be closer to 300. don't forget, the midi adapter is required and not included.

Forgive my possible ignorance on the following question.. I haven't been keeping up with the pro guitar info really. The above poster said that the MIDI interface is a separate purchase from the Squire guitar.. so theoretically, couldn't I buy just the MIDI part and use one of my own electric guitars? Or is the Squire made specifically to interact with the MIDI interface for RB3?

Edited by xXthefragileXx

Forgive my possible ignorance on the following question.. I haven't been keeping up with the pro guitar info really. The above poster said that the MIDI interface is a separate purchase from the Squire guitar.. so theoretically, couldn't I buy just the MIDI part and use one of my own electric guitars? Or is the Squire made specifically to interact with the MIDI interface for RB3?

The Squier for RB3 has a sensor in the fretboard to pick up finger placement, so any other guitar will not work.