Half-Life 2 "Keep Off the Sand!"

I was wondering where the "Keep Off the Sand!" achievement started. Does it start when the soldier warns you not to go on the sand? And are the antlions at that part supposed to come out and attack his injured friend, or did I hit some sand accidentally? My earliest save point is right then, after his friend got killed by antlions, and I hope this was supposed to happen or else I have to start the game over to get back there... Because I didn't touch the sand (at least I think I didn't--do the antlions ALWAYS attack when you touch sand?) and made it to the Antlion Guard but I didn't get the achievement.

Edited by Yelsikneb

I'm having some trouble with this achievement also. I youtube'd a video for myself but you can use it too. :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY18fYR1waY]YouTube - Keep Off the Sand Achivement Half Life 2[/ame]

or.. heres an even better video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEEAk91p2Ps]YouTube - HL2: Keep off the Sand, OSHA Violation, Targeted Advertising[/ame]

I just realised what to do watching the second video. At the point where you've used the long plank for a second time you're supposed to go right. I've been heading straight on up the hill lol.

Edited by Purge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

this achievement is bullshit. i made a bridge across this sand at the end out of like 5-6 things of metal, one being a huge ass door type thing. I get all the way across and to the point where it should pop, and nothing. i know for a fact i didnt touch any sand up to the point where the mass amount of sand is AND i couldnt have touched sand cuz i was walking on metal the whole damn time on the stretch of sand and still nothing. is there any better way to do this? i cant start the mission all over cuz somehow my save for it isnt there but i just dont know where the fuck i touched sand...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Save often and if you even suspect you touched the sand (sometimes there's rumbling but not always) revert.

I've been replaying HL2 this week for the first time in over 10 years and for the first time on the Xbox. I was reminded about how the game mechanics, which are replicated perfectly on the Xbox from the PC version, are incredibly annoying. Maybe it's just the early version of Havok but collision and object interaction are handled so badly that it makes this achievement far harder than it needs to be. Other games of the same year (Halo 2 and Far Cry 1) are much better about it.

Edited by Gilbert Prime
Sentence structure