What do you guys think of this?

Annalie

I saw this while watching E3 and i like what i saw.

:p

http://www.insomniacgames.com/wp-content/themes/insomniac/imgs/logos/os.jpg

Overstrike is a four-player cooperative action game featuring a team of elite agents called Overstrike 9.

Comprised of an ex-mercenary, a lifelong thief, a gifted young scientist and a decorated detective, the members of Overstrike 9 are considered outcasts within their own organization, but are the best team suited to stop a global terrorist group from attempting to wipe out humankind. Overstrike 9 uses lethal teamwork and an arsenal of fringe-tech gadgets to infiltrate and destroy enemy strongholds.

Overstrike marks Insomniac’s first multiplatform release and will be available on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.Overstrike presents a unique blend of features that have long been a part of the Insomniac DNA: high powered gadgets, action-heavy gameplay, memorable characters in a deep and mysterious universe and of course a touch of humor. And since this is our first multiplatform game, we’re especially excited to introduce ourselves to a new audience — one which may not have experienced our previous games.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kltLI5oL22k&feature=pyv]YouTube - ‪Overstrike - Official Reveal Trailer E3 2011‬‏[/ame]

Edited by Annalie

• 1 year later...

When I first saw this announced I thought it looked great.

Now they have completely re-worked the visuals to make it more realistic looking. To me that has completely changed the feel of the game, and I am not certain it is in a good way.

Initially planned to pre-order, now will probably wait a while after release to decide if/when I will get it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get my hopes up over an FMV trailer and make wild-ass extrapolations like most people seemed to make judging by the news comments threads. No offense, but having been burned by the exciting but unrepresentative FMV videos for old PSone games that technique doesn't work on me anymore. BUT I like a 3PS and this seemed to have a good concept behind it.

Then I watched that 18-minute-ish gameplay vid they put out as an example of what the game would be like. IT WAS HORRIBLE. I kept reminding myself that the vid wasn't a hype piece that would have explosions or cool shit every 20 seconds but it looks so utterly bland.

I watched it about two months ago so my memory might be a little hazy but...

The enemies are just dudes with helmets and guns.

Most of all the environments were grey, generic, forgettable, lacked character. This stuck out to me the most.

The characters seem like they're trying to hit some demographics; White male lead, natch. Female with red hair. Black guy. Then a 4th to round out the numbers.

The powers seem like wank too.

The black guy's power seems to be that his cross bow has long range, so his 'special power' seems to be that he's a sniper. Oooooh! Sci-fi at it's finest.

Woman #1 Shatter = You shoot an enemy and they will freeze, then die. Upgrade and the person in a close vicinity to them will also freeze, then die. I guess firing the gun then tapping the right stick slightly to the left/right was too taxing for some?

Woman #2 Vortex (Or whatever) = You shoot an enemy and then they do nothing because there's now a vortex behind them stopping them doing anything. Bullets seem to do a good job of that in every other shooter.

This vortex also didn't seem to be having an effect on any of the other enemies running right nearby so this ability pulls a cool move by sucking and not sucking all at the same time.

White guy = Shield. It seems massively 'OP' since the player absorbs 0 damage as opposed to a reduced amount and you can still fire your gun while using it. A classic "I can hit you but you can't hit me" moment right from the playground. Balance? LOL, maybe if Insomniac have created the greater 3PS AI ever that are actually any good at flanking a team of 4 human players then maybe but that's a tall task.

Compared to the abilities from Mass Effect which offered a decent alternative to shooting like teleporting into the bad guy's face at speed, throwing them into the air, freezing them in place, etc. FUSE's seem unimaginative and more like a supplement to your gun than an alternative.

...but hey, I'm sure that was an 'early build' and everything will be fixed by release. ;)

A couple of knob jokes and some slapstick couldn't save the base game from looking like one of the blandest 3PS about to hit the market.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxs2Y-cI6jY]Fuse: 18 Minutes of Gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: The new Dalton's Rules video does a better job of promoting the game and the non-rent-a-soldier type enemies including a mech going utterly loco. Hopefully the full game is more bullet hell.

Edited by Hurricane Of 87
THE OFFENDING VID

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I personally refuse to buy EA games with the exception of Mass Effect, and have the same ban for Activision (freaken bungie for working with them...)...But I may break it for this game. It looks fun, I love the style...it's not the best graphically, but I think it's art style is pretty cool, even if subtle.

Fuse sounds much better, and I'm quite looking forward to this. Probably will be a day 1 purchase for me as I love co-op games.

I dunno BRE4D, could be a sleeper gem like the way folks talk about Binary Domain ...or could be complete crap. Looks like a good mindless bit of fun but not a day one at full price for me. Am working through a backlog and will probably pick this up later after it drops. The lack of a season pass and microtransactions is a bonus though.

If I nab it dude I'll shoot you a FR, we can blast this shit down and hit up some old BF3 if we get bored. :woop:

Heavy co-op. That killed it for me. Fuck co-op.

Does not play well with others.

I dunno BRE4D, could be a sleeper gem like the way folks talk about Binary Domain ...or could be complete crap. Looks like a good mindless bit of fun but not a day one at full price for me. Am working through a backlog and will probably pick this up later after it drops. The lack of a season pass and microtransactions is a bonus though.

If I nab it dude I'll shoot you a FR, we can blast this shit down and hit up some old BF3 if we get bored. :woop:

I'm not so excited about the game anymore tbh. :p I will still get it just not on release, the co-op is the only thing I'm looking forward to but like you said there's nothing great here just a mess about.

• 3 weeks later...