Demo Thoughts?

Barad

I have no problem with how supposedly generic it looks, but I'd like it more if the controls did what I expected of them. Sure it's my first time playing but they lack a certain smoothness.

Found the controls awkward mostly due to X being reload and B to take cover, too used to Max Payne 3's variation.

Leap being on the back button (Nothing important should be on the back button ever). for some reason I just expected it to be on LB and I keep throwing grenades instead.

I checked the options in-game and there doesn't appear to be any alternate control scheme. Boo!

The Bad:

• Loading screens when you switch to a new character for the first time.
  • Lame loading screen humour (That's gonna stand out right after Blood Dragon)
  • No difficulty other than Normal. (One of many option in the demo with only one choice)
  • Teammates just stand there looking up at the extractor fans instead of going in.
  • Team AI seem either pretty incompetent or vulnerable, they go down alot.
  • If I stay in cover and take potshots they'll do similar but if I use Naya, cloak and charge past a few enemies then they'll mow down everything in their path to catch up to me.
  • I'd also like to know exactly what my abilities did without having to experiment on the fly.
  • Unclear way of choosing your character in the menu (Press Y to customize, then switch from there)
  • Third EA demo in a row that ended with something about to hit the camera (Dead Space 3's Hive Mind Arm, The Devil's Cartel's Helicopter blades, FUSE's crashed EVAC chopper)
  • Not a very big turning circle while running, might not have been able to rotate the camera whilst running either.

Yeah, seeing a few problems with this. The Leadfoot & Firefoot battle was decent though. Also liked the blue enemy that was giving off a health field around him, good to see the enemy has these OP abilities too, should make it more interesting as the game progresses.

Everything else is mostly servicable.

Edited by Hurricane Of 87

Leap being on the back button (Nothing important should be on the back button ever). for some reason I just expected it to be on LB and I keep throwing grenades instead.

I checked the options in-game and there doesn't appear to be any alternate control scheme. Boo!

That's so strange I also keep pressing the LB button instead of the back button, it just seems like the logical button for a character switch

It was really good. The mechanics seemed similar to Gears of War, and at times, in the video below, I found myself thinking I was playing Gears and I tried to roll with :abut: (idiot). I hope you can remap the button scheme or something to that effect when the retail game is released...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnDdo5m1wn8]Fuse - Xbox 360 Demo (Redemption Games) (What'cha Playin'?) - YouTube[/ame]

NOTE: I AM NOT COMPARING THIS GAME WITH GEARS OF WAR; JUST THE BUTTON-MECHANICS AND COVER SCHEMES. :p

I enjoyed the demo. I didn't feel generic. The twin mini boss battle was fun. I liked being able to switch characters and wasnt really bothered by the back button being the switch button. I liked the different weapons and the character banter. I liked the difficulty too.

I think the 4player coop is its biggest draw for me. I want more 4 player coop games so ill speak with my money and get it at launch. Bitching on a forum doesn't really work as well.

I found the Demo loading screens to be funny. It was a nice change.

IMO

Other than the mini-boss battle and design I really didn't like it. It all just felt too much like Syndicate but with a different setting, third-person cameras and the whole Uncharted movement system. The whole game was literally just another cover shooter.

I also didn't like how it doesn't explain anything before I chose it and how it tells me of the 'switching characters' feature so far down the line.

I doubt I'll be buying it.

the demo surprised me as none of insomniacs games have been the same as this one, besides the third person aspect and shooting stuff. The engine looks pretty good too, nice seeing it used on other games rather than just nothing but ratchet & clank titles. Picking it up though because i respect this developer and don't want to see another game they make go in the trash like resistance

Played it 3 or 4 more times trying to focus on the other characters:

* Can only get up to level 15 in the demo, so FUSE Grenades (Generic Tier 2 upgrade for all characters) is where you'll max out. You'll need 5/9 of the Tier 1.5 upgrades to be able to get the FUSE grenades though.

so you can upgrade but nothing much more interesting than what's already available comes to light.

* Sidearms seem to be split between 2-handed (Left on D-pad) and 1-handed (Right on D-pad)

2 handed:

Sniper Rifle

Assault Rifle

Burst Assault Rifle with Scope

Prowler (Shotgun)

1-handed:

Guardian (Pistol, 15 clip, pretty nifty)

Dragonfly (SMG/UZI type deal)

So you can't carry both a sniper and a shotgun, but they're not restricted to certain characters.

*Dalton's Magshield is obviously very nice, the enemies are highlighted yellow if you're Mag Burst will hit them. Did the 3-kills in one shot achievement requirements several times in the demo, very easy. It takes about 3 seconds to recharge so you can't SPAM it to death, but it shot costs you 15 Fuse points so if you abuse it it'll be gone very quickly.

RB will drop a stationary shield for 10 Fuse points, but only right in front of where you're standing. No throwing it.

Holding out the shield and advancing it a good plan but the more fire you absorb the fast you'll use up Fuse points. To be honest just chip away at it very slowly, but grenades? Roll the fuck away ASAP or the explosion will eat up all your Fuse points and you'll be pissing in the wind.

I don't think the Firefoot's flamethrower does any damage to the shield at all. If it does, it's a laughable amount.

Best plan is to stay mid distance and let one of the ladies stand next to you and use their Fuse weapons for reasons mentioned below.

Or go into a corner, drop a shield and switch to a sidearm and fire away.

Or waltz up to a dude with your shield out, drop it and stab him in the head. Glasgow style.

*Jacob's Arrows are alright, as a gun it's not too much different from the Sniper Rifle apart from having no clip and having a faster rate of fire.

but he's got park that'll cause firearms to cause extra damage once the arrows are stuck in them.

You can hit RB and melt them down, but you don't have to hit them first, meaning it acts as a nice distant C4 if you want it to. I've seen a few instances of me shooting at the cover and hitting RB and watching the enemy get fried anyway. Yeah, nice.

Wasn't paying attention to how much FP this used up though.

*Naya and Izzy's guns essentially seem to be the same thing. you have to spray the enemy for a while and if you spray a few others in the process they'll get caught up in the effect. It just takes too long to have an effect on the first time that you can find yourself sprawled on the floor asking for help when you get bombarded in the first two seconds of sticking your head out.

This is why I suggest standing by Dalton as his shield absorbs all the ammo aimed at your head.

Izzy's health beacons only use 10FP and Naya's cloak uses only 40FP (After the upgrade anyway)

The enemies aren't complete dipshits and tossed a grenade where my cloaked Naya just was so there's that.

* I enjoy elements of certain enemies.

The regular grunts keep the 'nades coming, keep me moving.

Snipers jetpack about for better vantage points.

The Elite (The blue guy on the Airfield giving of a healthfield aura) demands you sodomize him with FUSE weapons because sidearms barely phase him. Other soldiers could die it 3 or 4 shots, this guy might your entire sidearm ammo reserves.

That last regular enemy on the Airfield who tries to make a dash for you. Haha. Legend.

* I enjoy that the players go down alot. Just think about it. If you made a 4 person co-op shooter and barely anyone went down they'd just all split up and run 'n gun around by themselves. And this is just on Normal.

Likewise you can imagine shit turds abusing Leap so that they can switch from a downed character to one that isn't while the AI has to clean up the mess. Well tough shit fucker.

*Just played a game with a few human player and there were a few Elites before the Airfield. Good. The game appears to be throwing harder enemeis at you the more human players there are.

Stuff I'm not liking:

Running into cover causes you to automatically jump it. I'm down. Again.

Lame BGM on the first area before slipping past the fans.

The energy bars over regular enemies are fine you can tell how much is left (Bright red) and how much has already been cut away (Dark red).

The X-Foots however appear like a solid bright red bar with a "/" appearing in reasonably the same area. Initially I was super confused if I was even causing damage of if their energy had regenerated.

Everything after the Airfield is a formality.

No 'Restart Last Checkpoint' option in this demo which was a bit annoying as I have to restart from the beginning instead of being able to fight the Feet again and again.

Think the demo might have missed a good story hook. They should have provided some of the mid-mission story and ended with Jacob saying "The FUSE is in the air!" since I think that sounds rather vital, but instead with me thinking "That's what you get for stealing my kills." when our ride gets taken out.

the effect probably should have been "Oh FUCK, we have to fight THIS?!" but I'm not getting that at all since the camera is focused on the 'Splosions.

I was interested because it seemed that it was going to be similar to Borderlands, but quickly found that I won't be playing this game. Why?

1. As people have been mentioning the controls are not good, and you can't customize them. In my opinion, being unable to change the game controls (unless they are extremely simple) is a cardinal sin towards games.

2. The HUD is invisible most of the time, and even when it is, I'm not shown what is what on there. I got the general clue of what health was, but I never saw how much ammo I had, how many healing grenades. The entire interface needs an overhaul.

3. You always have partners, it just depends on whether you have actual friends to play with, or A.I. I guess it is neat that you can switch between them, and eliminates the need to play through the main quest 4 times. However, that means that you've got to baby-sit them all.

4. The game requires you to link your XBox live account, and e-mail to Origin. I couldn't even give them another e-mail, it had to be the e-mail linked to my XBox gamer tag. Hopefully I can undo that now.

5. This game will likely get the usual EA treatment; buggy as hell, a few patches, a sequel comes out 6 months to a year later, the servers are shutdown 30 days after that. I could be wrong, but this is EA, they've been doing the same thing for years now, and I like being able to go back and play games online with my friends.

Those are just my thoughts though. It looks like it could be fun, if they fix some stuff.

Played this over 10 times now. WHOA. :eek:

Guess teaming with Dalton isn't necessary if you're a lady.

Naya can fire all her weapons whilst cloaked without breaking cover.

Izzy can REVIVE HERSELF with her own health beacons. Just toss one at your own cover before popping up in a dangerous environment and you'll be up shortly.

Izzy's health beacons might be the most exploitable part of the game. They only cost 10 FP and since her Fuse weapon is so shitty you'll be storing up all the FP for this alone, I had above 200 FP most of the time so that's potentially 20 right there, plus there's an upgrade that makes them last 10 seconds longer. Madness. You can throw them down repeatedly, but only the most recent one will remain active. Can definitely see Izzy being the solo player's choice for this reason even though the AI does a fantastic job of reviving you.

But seriously Izzy's gun FUSE weapon is the worst by far. When Naya's activates the mini-black hole, you know you're done there.

But when Izzy's gun causes enemies to crystallize the enemies will just break out after a few seconds and get back to the job of killing you.

Good to see Dalton's Magshield isn't as OP as you would have assumed it would be. Enemies can just run through the shield and it's not too tall and so flat that enemies at an elevated position or at a steep angle can still get at you. I'd say just holding the thing out and allowing your pals to shoot through the shield is the most effective point -for-point use of it unless you find an opportunity to kill 3 or 4 guys in one shot.

Real players leaving in the middle of a game can cause the AI to do some goofy stuff, like just hanging around whilst you're waiting at a rally point or standing next to two downed teammates and doing nothing to help either up.

Leadfoot is way worse than the Firefoot. Guy drops turrets, can shot you from across the map (Unlike the poor range on the flamethrower) and can TELEPORT. You need to make it a priority to kill these ones first. Firefoot ain't shit by themselves.

Played it now a few times and still really liking it. Bring on next week

Glad youre excited, everything turns into a bullet sponge in the main game.

I'm really digging everyone's fuse weapon but beyond that it has gotten boring after about 4 hours.