Free to p(l)ay. What's the cost of free?

Tyger7

I have been playing this game for a few days now. It was confusing at first, but I started getting into it. The game does a terrible job of explaining certain things. It will be a free game to play. There is a currency called Souls. You need Souls to buy weapons/gear/spells as well as repair and upgrade them. You can earn them from defeating enemies, gaining little bits over real time just waiting (depending on things you do and capture in game), and finding them in chests and piles of skulls.

What happens when you buy expensive gear? You must repair it when it breaks. A terrible part of this game is needing to repair your gear. If you get hit a lot or die, then you will damage your gear more. This costs a lot of souls because you have many different things to repair. Take for example this chest piece I have. It costs me around 5k to repair it. I normally only have 6-7k Souls on me. I kill everything I see, go through every dungeon I find, and loot every chest. I sell every item I find. I feel poor. I feel like if I'm not careful all my gear will break. It's a constant struggle. So much in fact, that I have paid around 5 dollars in real money to keep myself repaired and to buy a better weapon than I had. They sell Souls for ridiculous prices. 250,000 Souls costs you 100 dollars. This is a lot of money for a free game. The other problem is you're spending this money on just...repairing gear! Things you have already purchased. Just to maintain it. I have done pretty decent up to the point I am, but let me tell you I am never buying gear, never buying or upgrading my spells, and never buying boosts. When you customize your character you can use Souls to buy different faces, different hair color, etc. One mask alone was costing around 100000 Souls. None of this makes sense, especially considering the skins and hair color do nothing to your game, and second because it'll be covered by a helmet or something.

If you want to get around 200 points in this game, you'll do fine being a freebie. But if you want to get the rest, I am starting to see that it will either be taking you HOURS of grinding souls in places you have been, or spending real money. Can you put a price on time?

Here is a tip I've found to be helpful with that issue. Don't go and sell your items as soon as you get them. While you're exploring dungeons and just running around use the weak equipment you find and save your strong items for defending shrines and alters. Selling an item at 100% durability and the same one broken sell of the same amount, might as well use them before selling them. Also try not to wait till your equipment is fully broken to fix, if you can help it, because fixing it earlier will cost less then when it is broken.

Yeah, repairing kinda screws you up at least on the early levels. Maybe you'll earn more per fight once you get some more levels under your belt but I'm level 9 and am constantly in the poorhouse due to all the repairing I have to do. It's bringing the game down a little bit for me too. Still a lot of fun to me, but I wish it was a little bit cheaper to repair...

I mean, I'm absolutely not going to spend MSP to repair shit. No way. I will probably spend some on acquiring beastly gear I like, since I do enjoy the game and want to reward the devs for it, but I refuse to spend actual money on repairs of digital swords and shit. That's just dumb.

I mentioned this over on TA, but I'll repeat it here.... the best way to play this game, by far, is to not repair anything. Loot all the chests, collect all the armor and weapons, and just keep everything - no repairing (unless you have NOTHING to replace it with). Equip your best stuff. When something breaks, sell it and replace it with your next best item. Yeah, it sucks to lose that nice sword, but you will find better, and probably soon. Even at the higher levels (I was 22), you're consistently finding loot that is better than what you have.

I guess that's a good idea but that really devalues the loot and the sense of excitement when you get something good. Kinda counterintuitive.

Devalues? Broken loot sells for the exact same amount as fully repaired loot. I use this same method, except I use the second best items in my inventory. I save my best items for Ascension score. This method is the exact opposite of counterproductive. If anything, you earn and save more souls this way than any other method.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just don't like it, the fact that you need all these things to manage durability, and souls aren't just a currency you find everywhere and anywhere, along with the fact that other players can happily curse you for no reason, or just come and invade and really screw you over. It's pretty much Capture the Points Dark Souls unless I'm missing something.

It's why I hate PVP F2P games, other than Team Fortress 2.