Of horses and such...

Nitnoid

So, there I am, dropping off a quest item to a merchant bodyguard outside of Dawnstar when there appears to be a commotion over the adjacent hill. A frost Troll approaches, alerting the nearby npc's. The merchant and companion rush to the battle. The bodyguard runs off down the road. My horse, Frost, decides to join in the fracas. Not wanting others to think me cowardly, I called forth some fire to damage the troll. Upon hearing the commotion, the bodyguard returned to the side of his merchant charge. When the dust cleared, the troll lay dead alongside the merchant who now ceased to exist. The bodyguard and companion ran over the hill and paused. The bodyguard proceeded to draw his sword and made a beeline to Frost where he began assaulting the horse, much to my dismay. I promptly mounted said horse and rode into town, at a gallop. Rounding some buildings, everything at peace with the world again. Next thing I know, here comes the bodyguard, sword flailing in the air, attacking my horse yet again! After some amazing maneuvering through the town, I headed down the highway watching the bodyguard getting smaller in the distance. Once safely away, I fast traveled back to Riften to begin my next quest. A mine with wolves nearby. After dismounting, Frost proceeded to go after the wolves. Aye-caramba!

Question is, once you obtain Frost (or buy a horse for that matter), is there a way to prevent him from fast traveling with you or is he like a wife, til death do you part?

wow thats a interesting series of events, its always fun to stop and observe what NPCs of skyrim are up to. is "frost" a special horse you earn via quest or something? or is it just a regular 1k horse you can buy at the area outside of a city?

also a general horse question, where will it be when i enter towns / dismount and do things? is there a preset place he will wait for me, or is it wherever i dismount. i wanted to get a horse before, but was hesitant because i wasnt sure how long i would keep it :p.

Frost is a quest horse, depending on how you complete the quest. When fast traveling to a city, it will be waiting at the stables. When fast traveling to a non-city destination, he will appear right beside you. I normally don't use a horse because I like to walk/climb everywhere, hence my wish to get rid of him in a humane way. I don't like euthanasia...

I've been wondering this as well. I'm currently stuck with Shadowmere following me around, which causes problems more often than I would like. I don't want to kill the poor glowy-eyed thing, but if I could just stable him somewhere, that would be great.

This was annoying with frost and the other horses as they would just charge head first into a dragon and get killed seconds later, but Shadowmere is strong enough that you can just leave it and it will be fine. I use to use it as my 'tank' with its has high health and regeneration.

It's more the fact that I'm currently playing a stealth build, and having the horse go running into battle when I fast travel somewhere gives me away a lot. It's not infuriating or anything, just annoying sometimes. It would be nice to have the option to leave you horse in a particular stable until you come get it or something. Maybe have a "whistle for your horse" option somewhere under Magic? I don't know. Not really that big a deal.

i think the only way to get rid of a horse (like have no horse anymore) is to kill it

however you might be able to buy a new horse, mount it (to make it your primary horse) then kill that one, and keep frost or shadowmere (will stay wherever you last left them)

i had an issue with frost/shadowmere, i hopped on frost to steal him, then gave him to the guy for the quest, so shadowmere stopped following me around i had to track down shadowmere (near the black briar lodge) to get him back

Hmmm, sounds like we might have a testable theory going here. If I fast travel to a town, say Whiterun. Shadowmere will then be in the stable, right? If I then buy a new horse there, ride off a ways, and kill said unlucky horse, will Shadowmere remain at the Whiterun stable until I come pick him back up? I might have to test this tonight.

This was annoying with frost and the other horses as they would just charge head first into a dragon and get killed seconds later, but Shadowmere is strong enough that you can just leave it and it will be fine. I use to use it as my 'tank' with its has high health and regeneration.

Yeah I had the same problem. I gave up on having any more horses after my second decided it could take on a Dragon by itself. Thankfully now I have Shadowmere now so that's less of a deal. It would be nice to store him somewhere though.

Hmmm, sounds like we might have a testable theory going here. If I fast travel to a town, say Whiterun. Shadowmere will then be in the stable, right? If I then buy a new horse there, ride off a ways, and kill said unlucky horse, will Shadowmere remain at the Whiterun stable until I come pick him back up? I might have to test this tonight.

this might work however it still involves killing a horse! and if you want to do it again you need to kill another horse!