Fireworks? Try this!

Bahaumaut

3-3 worked for me also. I thought I had killed a bunch throughout the campaign but I always softened them up first to make sure one grenade would do the job. After reading the comment about killing them purely with grenades I tried that and got it in two short runs.

I did do a few kills with the Magnetar (sp?) method also mentioned so that may have contributed but it unlocked right at the start of 3-3 after killing the 2nd watcher. Screwy achievement but at least it unlocked.

• 2 weeks later...

this was the only achivement to give me problems with this game. Grinding 1-5 a few times worked, but the achivement unlocked when a grenade bounced off the final tank of the stage and killed a random ground enemy.

killed way more than 10 airborne enemies with grenades (not including ones suspended by gravitar or blown up in vertical cover sections)

screwy achivement is screwy.

Also, not sure if this helps or not, but at the very end of the village section of 1-5 (you'll know where it is, it ends at the base of the pyramid monument) there are 3 enemies in the very middle of it with jetpacks that fly between the left and right side. You can spam grenades straight up and nail them as they fly across. If you run out of nades, there's a toy chest nearby that should be listed on your radar where you can get more.

• 2 weeks later...

This achievement just popped for me, so I'll add my 2 cents. I tried a few runthroughs of village attack, but it didn't seem to give me anything. I've just spent about 10 minutes on 2-1 in the first bit; threw my grenades at the flying guys, killed myself, repeat. It popped after maybe 7-10 attempts. I found it's best to wait for them to land and then take off again before throwing, because sometimes they hover or jump towards your general area (they take off as you approach the ruins).

I tried the magneton trick mentioned above, no love.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really say what I did as I have zero idea of what counted as the "airborn" kills.

I tried killing the Knights solely with grenades, I must have killed 30 of them without the achievement popping.

So I went onto regular enemies with the jetpacks. I tried the group of them in "The Prophesised One", there are 4 after the 2 turrets - I killed all 4 of them about 10 times each and nothing popped.

So I went onto 3-3 The Revolt and just threw grenades at the enemies hoping I would hear the achievement pop noise - and I did! I cannot say whether it makes a difference if the enemies are hovering or actually boosting but one thing I can confirm is that you DO NOT need to reach a checkpoint for kills to save. They accumulate even if you chose to restart the level.

Buggy game and I am looking forward to never even looking at the cover again :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The correct way to do this is written here. The achievement itself is not glitched, it's the description that is wrong. You have to kill 10 enemies using the correct timing when launching the grenade to make it explode before it reaches the ground. That's also WHY it's called "Fireworks". This is confirmed, with 10 kills it pops up.

EDIT: That's why it works so random in the other cases, and why it works in the vertical sections. You don't need to kill flying enemies.

Edited by lzAvol

• 1 month later...
The achievement itself is not glitched, it's the description that is wrong. You have to kill 10 enemies using the correct timing when launching the grenade to make it explode before it reaches the ground. That's also WHY it's called "Fireworks". This is confirmed, with 10 kills it pops up.

EDIT: That's why it works so random in the other cases, and why it works in the vertical sections. You don't need to kill flying enemies.

That makes a lot of sense, because I got it in section 1-2 on my second play through while killing two guys who were in cover and i was so confused. I guess thats why it popped! Because it didn't hit the ground :woop:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was reading on the playstation forums that the achievement description is actually wrong. It apparently is for cooking the grenade long enough that it explodes in the air killing the enemies, not actually killing airborne enemies.

I'm off to give it a try, but I've killed like a million airborne enemies with no love.

• 4 weeks later...

DEFINETLY NOT GLITCHED,JUST DESCRIBED WRONG,SOMEONE POSTED THAT ON PS3 ITS WRITTEN CORRECTLY,SO HAVING NEVER TRIED TO GET THE ACHIEVMENT BEFORE I TRIED IT OUT JUST THROWING GRENADES AS THEY EXPLODE ABOVE THE ROBOTS,AND IT UNLOCKED NO PROBLEM,NOW I HOPE THAT GREASE MONKEY ACHV UNLOCKS WITH NO PROBS!!!:eek:

• 4 weeks later...