Spartan Ops Info and Discussion * Episode 5 Released *

Clueless

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent episode, the CGI cutscene was great and I'm really excited for the season finale next week. Though I can't help but feel annoyed at just how tedious the last chapter was for this episode. The cheap mission ending cop-outs and constant flow of enemies (thanks Knight for releasing 4 Watchers in a row) just shows that they are padding the length of the missions due to the maps being designed/cut from single-player and multiplayer.

Oh well, maybe next season will have entirely new maps with SpOps in mind since it, holding my breath here, isn't on disc.

I don't mind the map re-use. We can't realistically expect them to create all new maps all the time for these things. That would be far too much development expense. If they did that they'd have to charge for them as DLC like MW3's "let's release one specops mission with each multiplayer map pack". Screw that.

I'm expecting 4 things from Spartan Ops.

1. Jul ' Mdama. I really hoped he'd have at least some role in the campaign but he never showed. I like how he's the big man in Spartan Ops though, arguably a free campaign DLC.

2. Didact. Likely not until the very very end of all the last Episode will he make an appearance, though I would not be surprised if he influences things soon.

3. Cortana. If you read my Composer theory, it's highly likely she isnt just "gone." I believe that the artifacts we've been seeing and Halsey's contact in Ep 4 are all Cortana-related, if not her to begin with. In order for there to be more Halo games after this one they'll need Cortana to stay important to the story, even if not present.

4. Flood. Come on......we know they're out there, we know it's probably only a matter of time...... It'd also be one hell of a cliffhanger for the final chapter. I personally hope they never show but it's always a possibility.

2. Didact. Likely not until the very very end of all the last Episode will he make an appearance, though I would not be surprised if he influences things soon.

3. Cortana. If you read my Composer theory, it's highly likely she isnt just "gone." I believe that the artifacts we've been seeing and Halsey's contact in Ep 4 are all Cortana-related, if not her to begin with. In order for there to be more Halo games after this one they'll need Cortana to stay important to the story, even if not present.

4. Flood. Come on......we know they're out there, we know it's probably only a matter of time...... It'd also be one hell of a cliffhanger for the final chapter. I personally hope they never show but it's always a possibility.

Pretty sure the Didact will appear in some form, seeing has hes already been mentioned.

Sadly I doubt Cortana will, even though she mentioned during the campaign they could team MC up with another Cortana model it wouldn't be her. I genuinely feel the end of 4's campaign was closure for her character.

I'd like them to introduce Flood (just for something different to clear for a change). But if they've not created new areas for spartan ops you can't imagine them creating new AI and models for enemies. But it would be interesting to see how much of a nightmare trying to clear out flood infected knights. Hell I'd love for them to infect your spartan just so we could kill all the AFK'ers who don't help clearing.

I didn't really kind of follow the story for Spartan Ops, I was in a party attempting to get them done quickly and get some achievements. Could anyone give me a quick re-cap.

Also, is this the end for Season 1 or not? If so when can we expect Season 2 (if anyone has any info about it that is)

I will reply with a quick recap after my matches tonight, but there are still FIVE Episodes (5 Weeks) left in Season 1. There hasn't been and proper speculation or news on Season 2 yet.

Is anyone else starting to get tired of Spartan Ops? It's gotten to the point where my friends and i are just trying to get through them as quickly as possible to unlock the achievements.

The intro videos are really well done, and the overall story isn't too bad either, but the gameplay is just too repetitive. I don't mind the Covenant maps because at least they have different enemies and vehicles but the Promethean maps are the same thing over and over. By the 3rd episode we were tired of fighting the same group of Prometheans only to have the exact same enemies respawn again and again.

Why didn't 343 give the Prometheans vehicles or at least include more than 3 enemies? Really disappointed with 343's contribution to the Halo universe:mad: At least MP is fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had a quick question: at the loading screen each week with the matchmaking update, it says sometimes "episode x now available" even though they've been out a while now. I haven't played the campaign or SpOps yet, so I'm not sure, but is only one episode available at a time, and will Season 1 be taken down when Season 2 is out? I can't imagine so with the tied achievements, but I just want to check.

I just had a quick question: at the loading screen each week with the matchmaking update, it says sometimes "episode x now available" even though they've been out a while now. I haven't played the campaign or SpOps yet, so I'm not sure, but is only one episode available at a time, and will Season 1 be taken down when Season 2 is out? I can't imagine so with the tied achievements, but I just want to check.

Only one episode is available in matchmaking sessions. They are currently running "re-runs" of the first season. I haven't played today but yesterday the matchmaking was actually done on legendary which was new for me. Not sure if the first season will remain but I think it will still be there b/c like you say, they will still want those cheevos to be obtainable, I would think.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for more episodes, I hope they stay for free, they're amazing, though I guess as long as they're really cheap I'd by them. like maybe a dollar a season or maybe even an episode if they make the story really good and keep nice action and finally change the maps, having everything in the same like 5 maps is boring as hell. I hope that they eventually open them all for random MP all at once permanently, I don't like only being able to choose from the current episode they choose. They give more XP than running through it with friends and such, so I'd like to go through the fastest and easiest ones to speed up lvling time.

I have to admit though, the leveling in this game is much better and faster than it was in Reach, I'm still trying to get everything in Reach, it kind of sucks.

• 2 weeks later...