Official Bitching Thread

Method

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people who moan the game is dated....thats the whole point.

So DNF being a throwback from the 90s or 'dated' is a good excuse for it to be a low quality, badly put together excuse for a video game? Doom 3 could've pulled the same crap - but they didn't. And because of that the game received a pretty impressive reception.

I do wish to see a sequel to DNF in the future though, and hopefully it'll be all Gearbox's work.

As for the topic.. quite a few things bothered me; long loading screens, two weapon limit, very linear gameplay, very bad level design in some parts and no jet-pack in SP. Seems like a fairly easy 1000g though, if I can get around to doing Insane :).

Edited by DeanBriggz

So DNF being a throwback from the 90s or 'dated' is a good excuse for it to be a low quality, badly put together excuse for a video game? Doom 3 could've pulled the same crap - but they didn't. And because of that the game recieved a pretty impressive reception.

I do wish to see a sequel to DNF in the future though, and hopefully it'll be all Gearbox's work.

As for the topic.. quite a few things bothered me; long loading screens, two weapon limit, very linear gameplay and very bad level design in some parts. Seems like a fairly easy 1000g though, if I can get around to doing Insane :).

there are plenty of low quality of games which are fun to play, im not saying this is a revolution just that it is different, in a way inspired by late 90's FPS gaming and I have found memory's of that particular era. Thus I like the game.

Edited by gazmaster1

Worst part of DNF? The people that sit here and complain about how horrible this game is. After my time spent with the Single Player and Multiplayer components, I can safely say that no matter how dated this game is, it's still 10x more enjoyable than any of these "record selling" Call of Duty games that the whole industry has gone stupid over. (Have fun paying $60 for the same game you get every year. I'll be enjoying my Duke Nukem and looking forward to DLC and sequels.)

i don't really have any gripes other than the loading times. i came in this knowing what to expect for many reasons...

1. i've played the other Duke Nukem games, so i know how cumbersome certain shit can be at a point.

2. i didn't expect it to be like "OMFG, nu shewterszsz, mum plx plox can i hasz??!!...gunna b teh gr8tis gayme of teh summersz!!" as some people apparently did.

3. i knew it was more primarily for nostalgic/humor purposes (much like Eat Lead) than an actual serious shooter (i.e. Call of Duty, Halo, etc.)

people are bitching about the most ridiculous shit in video games. i mean if you've followed ANYTHING about this game within the past few fucking years, you'd know it LOOKS average quality for a fucking reason. it wasn't MEANT to be "mindfucking gotdamn greatest 1080p quality you've ever seen with your shitty eyeballs!!!", yet a nostalgic feel/look reminiscent of the previous Nukem games.

i mean seriously folks...get a fucking grip. if u want uber 2160p graphics, go the fuck outside for a while & get a glimpse of things that actually fucking exist, like PEOPLE & BUILDINGS. 3D enough for u?

as far as everything else, it still feels like the older Nukem games to me, even the fucked up controls, which i DIDN'T expect, but oh well. no me importa. this is what they make GameFly for. if u feel like u wasted $60 on it because u just absolutely fuckin had to have it at launch...tough shit. maybe next time you'll wait for a review, rent it or try other venues before opting to be the very first one of your geek fucking friends to have a game so u can look cool saying u have it...

*edit i'm also guessing 90% of the whiny babies will be age ranged 13-17, maybe 18...so they won't even understand what Nukem's all about & probably bought it/had their mother buy it because other people were talking about it. pretty sure most of the people (notice i said MOST, not ALL) aged 24+ will appreciate it for what it's worth so far, if they in fact enjoyed other Nukem titles.

Edited by hype

rediculous load times, 2-weapon limit, terrible physics in minigames, enemies do WAY too much damage half the time ( maybe I just suck, idk... ), no jet pack, no achievements if cheats are on ( seriously devs, don't make me choose between achievements and FUN )

Edited by DOA_Rose

This game takes forever to load and after 12 years of work i think they could have made it a bit....how do i say.....smoother. The game was a massive disappointment at first but after my second play through i started to like it a bit more

Edited by XVANQU1SHEDX

rediculous load times, 2-weapon limit, terrible physics in minigames, enemies do WAY too much damage half the time ( maybe I just suck, idk... ), no jet pack, no achievements if cheats are on ( seriously devs, don't make me choose between achievements and FUN )

Why should the devs allow you to get achievements while using cheats? It defeats the whole purpose of them. Then again, maybe you'd like every game to just have 1 achievement worth 1000G for pressing start at the main menu.

Queen Bitch. Worst boss design ever. You have to throw grenades on bouncy things, which take 4 seconds to reach her, and then detonate, then shoot her with rockets. Sounds simple enough, BUT-- she's invincible when she attacks, and she can attack as many times as and any time she wants, so you pretty much have to cross your fingers and hope the game even gives you a chance to stun her with the grenades. Then at the end, you have to kill octopus' with your secondary firearm, whatever you brought along since they don't provide you with any non-expolosive weaponry at the boss fight, and you have to be careful after killing one and shooting rockets that one doesn't spawn in and throw it back at you

The enemies take too many shots to kill on Easy mode. There's a review out there where the reviewer says that's "faithful" to the old-school FPS games (Doom, Quake, Duke3d), but it isn't. The old school games you could kill an enemy with a single shotgun blast to the head or 3-4 shots with a pistol. I'll just wait for the PC version to hit the bargain bin and go through it with cheats rather than waste time trying to get achievements on the 360.

The enemies take too many shots to kill on Easy mode. There's a review out there where the reviewer says that's "faithful" to the old-school FPS games (Doom, Quake, Duke3d), but it isn't. The old school games you could kill an enemy with a single shotgun blast to the head or 3-4 shots with a pistol. I'll just wait for the PC version to hit the bargain bin and go through it with cheats rather than waste time trying to get achievements on the 360.

but it's simple achievements, so i don't see where your getting at there. I have 520 in the game and i'm not even done with my first playthrough. If you really can't beat the game on easy then you truly do suck at the game.

i don't really have any gripes other than the loading times. i came in this knowing what to expect for many reasons...

1. i've played the other Duke Nukem games, so i know how cumbersome certain shit can be at a point.

2. i didn't expect it to be like "OMFG, nu shewterszsz, mum plx plox can i hasz??!!...gunna b teh gr8tis gayme of teh summersz!!" as some people apparently did.

3. i knew it was more primarily for nostalgic/humor purposes (much like Eat Lead) than an actual serious shooter (i.e. Call of Duty, Halo, etc.)

people are bitching about the most ridiculous shit in video games. i mean if you've followed ANYTHING about this game within the past few fucking years, you'd know it LOOKS average quality for a fucking reason. it wasn't MEANT to be "mindfucking gotdamn greatest 1080p quality you've ever seen with your shitty eyeballs!!!", yet a nostalgic feel/look reminiscent of the previous Nukem games.

i mean seriously folks...get a fucking grip. if u want uber 2160p graphics, go the fuck outside for a while & get a glimpse of things that actually fucking exist, like PEOPLE & BUILDINGS. 3D enough for u?

as far as everything else, it still feels like the older Nukem games to me, even the fucked up controls, which i DIDN'T expect, but oh well. no me importa. this is what they make GameFly for. if u feel like u wasted $60 on it because u just absolutely fuckin had to have it at launch...tough shit. maybe next time you'll wait for a review, rent it or try other venues before opting to be the very first one of your geek fucking friends to have a game so u can look cool saying u have it...

*edit i'm also guessing 90% of the whiny babies will be age ranged 13-17, maybe 18...so they won't even understand what Nukem's all about & probably bought it/had their mother buy it because other people were talking about it. pretty sure most of the people (notice i said MOST, not ALL) aged 24+ will appreciate it for what it's worth so far, if they in fact enjoyed other Nukem titles.

>i came in this knowing what to expect for many reasons...

Hype he came.

Joking aside I'll be picking this up ASAP anything will be less boring then L.A Noire. I just want a game to pass the time for Skyrim or any other big game coming out this year.

Edited by jamie1000013

Let me start by saying I am 49 years and played the orginal Wolfenstein series, Doom and all the addons and Duke 3d. I played a lot of the single player and even did the modem to modem deathmatches. The ONE glaring problem with Duke Forever is its linearity. The old games had level design but this game follows along the 'modern' shooter line. They missed the mark by doing that. I'm not very far into the game since I also bought Alice and am having more fun with that game than Duke, unfortunately.

I can deal with load times and poor graphics, but this ain't Duke, except for the one liners...

So far only did SP so ill talk later for the MP but this game is EXACTLY what i was expecting of a DUKE exept the insane long loading time(they should have work on that) and maybe the 2 weapon thing(especially since there is an achievement for carrying the pistol all the SP)

But the one liner, the humour, exactly is duke style, im having so much fun with this, i dont understand people say its bad graphic, sure it aint Crysis but its not ugly either, as for the levels and straight forward, yeah it is, but i dont think we needed to get to the old keycard system. Even Duke make a joke about keycard.

Thing is folks, is that you need to see this game as it is, a good humor ride all the way with a lot of fun, not some crazy big game you have been waiting for years.

I don't get all the buzz around Duke 3d, sure it was a lot of fun, but it had nothing so special back then exept a jet pack, graphic where average at best, not much of a story, what made the gun fun was the humor and one line of the Duke, and its still the case here.

If only they could have fix the loading time, i tought it would be in the demo but fix in the complete game

Been watching my brother play it on the PC. I also had recently been watching him play Half-Life 2.

If I knew absolutetly nothing about either game and someone were to say "Tell which one was released this week and which one was released SEVEN YEARS AGO" my answer would be that DNF was the seven year old game...Of course this isn't a very fair comparison since Half-Life 2, despite being seven years old, is still the greatest FPS game ever made.

DNF's game physics look very bad, the graphics are borderline last generation and there is absolutely no innovation. Part of what made Duke Nukem 3D so great was that it was one of the first FPS games to actually let you aim up and down, one of first FPS games to let you jump, one of the first FPS games to let you interact with the environment and it was one of the first video games of any kind to have R-rated dialogue. DNF pretty much just poorly copies various elements featured in every other shooter out there. Not only is the dialogue no longer shocking but they pretty much just rehashed all the old one-liners without coming up with some new ones.

To sit there and excuse the game and developers for this by saying things like "its supposed to be retro" is nothing more then fanboyism (did I just make up a word?) at its worst. Other people say "what did you expect?" Well, I didn't expect the game to be the best thing since sliced bread but I did expect a quality product that is at least up to the current gaming industry standards. Duke Nukem Forever simply is not.

In the end one conclusion can be made: Bulletstorm is the game that Duke Nukem Forever should have been.

Edited by bigbear.

I think that the amount of time it took for this game to come out jaded alot of people. Is it the best FPS ever? No. Is it fun? Yes. It wasn't suppost to be the best ever. It has been 13 years since Duke came to a game. Considering the project was ust being thrown about for 12 years before Gearbox got it, I'd say it's pretty damn good, and introduces a new generation to Duke.

That's what the game is. It is Duke. Slow load times? Eh, not as bad as other games load times. Bad controls? Handled fine to me. Other games have much worse control. Bad AI? Not as bad as other games.

The game was not everything under the sun, but it was enjoyable, and I will be replaying it even after I get all the achievements.