July Staff/Subscriber Genre Tournament - Discussion Thread

Creech

http://i.imgur.com/2Y0lCc3.png

To celebrate the recently introduced Genre Leaderboards, the July Staff/Subscriber tournament will focus on earning the most gamerscore in a random genre each week.

Sign-ups begin today and will close on June 27th. Teams of two will be assigned by Creech on or before June 29th (note that you are not permitted to pick your teammate.) If an odd # of players sign up, the solo player left with no teammate can choose to go solo, bow gracefully out, or be handicapped by having Creech as a largely unproductive partner.

The contest period will run for six weeks, starting on June 30th at 12:00am PT and end on August 10th at 11:59pm PT.

The genre will be announced on Saturday mornings courtesy of our good friends at random.org, with the first genre announced on June 29th. No genres will be repeated during the contest. For the next calendar week, Sunday through Saturday, all gamerscore accumulated in the genre of the week earned by a team is added together to create a Team Score. Points will be assigned to each team by rank, with the lowest scoring team earning 1 point, the 2nd lowest earning 2 points, on up to the top scoring team who will earn as many points as there are teams.

Gamerscore earned must be reported with links to xbox.com in the scoring thread no later than noon on the Sunday immediately following the competition week.

The winner of the competition is the team that earns the most points across the six week period of the contest.

Edited by Creech

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scotty

Sounds interesting:) i've been largely very dis-interested in gaming over the last couple of months, but after starting GRID 2 yesterday, i think i'm feeling it again, so i might sign up.

This is my disclaimer and pre-apology to whoever gets 'assigned' to me, i suck at gaining achievements/gamerscore, so when you(and by extension, me) lose the tournament, badly, well, i'm sorry:p

I gonna have to look for some cheap-ass games somewhere to fill in some genre's, i'm not a very diverse individual.

on a more serious note, i won't sign up just yet, i'll see if i really am back into gaming enough, not to just be a hindrance to my partner. i'll give it a week and see how much i play and if i pick up then i'll sign up:)

Sounds interesting:) i've been largely very dis-interested in gaming over the last couple of months, but after starting GRID 2 yesterday, i think i'm feeling it again, so i might sign up.

This is my disclaimer and pre-apology to whoever gets 'assigned' to me, i suck at gaining achievements/gamerscore, so when you(and by extension, me) lose the tournament, badly, well, i'm sorry:p

I gonna have to look for some cheap-ass games somewhere to fill in some genre's, i'm not a very diverse individual.

on a more serious note, i won't sign up just yet, i'll see if i really am back into gaming enough, not to just be a hindrance to my partner. i'll give it a week and see how much i play and if i pick up then i'll sign up:)

Aaaw, dont look at it like that, the more the merrier! I'm gonna be a craptastic partner aswell.. you dont see that stoping me ;)

Guest Scotty
Aaaw, dont look at it like that, the more the merrier! I'm gonna be a craptastic partner aswell.. you dont see that stoping me ;)

i more than likely will sign up, but, i don't have a majority of the genre's covered, like sports and fitness/music and rhythm. i don't play either of these and won't be getting any, so if these 2 come up i'll be a huge inconvenience to my partner. plus i just might not play at all, i barely do during the week, so it would be a waste of a partner for someone.

i'll just have to try and step my game up:p

I'm in the same boat, never detoured me from giving it my all, bring it!

Looks like someone stumbled into the wrong part of town...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8UcDEZXqU_PCKF7apwOJXXboflCXJ8btqF996zW_QS3Wsq3-V

i more than likely will sign up, but, i don't have a majority of the genre's covered, like sports and fitness/music and rhythm. i don't play either of these and won't be getting any, so if these 2 come up i'll be a huge inconvenience to my partner. plus i just might not play at all, i barely do during the week, so it would be a waste of a partner for someone.

i'll just have to try and step my game up:p

Neither do I! I dont even have a kinect, which I assume many of the dancegames use :p I'll still try and do my best tho ofcourse, might even get some games I wouldnt otherwise if they're cheap. Not getting a kinect for this gen however.

Guest Scotty

i don't know if this is important or not, but the first week of july is also the GRID 2 community co-op event, which is a pretty important one for people interested in the award, so could that week be swapped with the week before or something. i know it's not huge, but during the competition, people are gonna be concentrating on the competition and may not be able or want to spend the time away from achievement hunting to do the GRID 2 event.

just a thought.:)

i don't know if this is important or not, but the first week of july is also the GRID 2 community co-op event, which is a pretty important one for people interested in the award, so could that week be swapped with the week before or something. i know it's not huge, but during the competition, people are gonna be concentrating on the competition and may not be able or want to spend the time away from achievement hunting to do the GRID 2 event.

just a thought.:)

More reasonable is to have people in the tourney only do one or 2 days of GRID and share the load. I picked up the game and am more than willing to help.

Well we may get lucky and have the racing genre that week. In that case, I hope I don't get Doug as my partner (he crashes. A lot.).

The amount of times I crash in a race is in direct correlation to the cost of the car. I must commit horrible sins against beautiful cars. 1972 Pinto, on the other hand...

I doubt the gods of Random.org would be that kind to us.

It could happen, but I am not going to rig the results. Seriously, hopping in a GRID 2 session will take less than 30 minutes. That isn't going to drop someone out of competitive range in this competition.

Guest Scotty

i'm very sorry to be awkward, but i've deleted my sign-up post. i most likely won't be able to compete and don't want to drag someone else down with me.

if things change closer to the sign-up closing date i'll re-sign up, but for now, i'll probably be sitting this one out.

sorry, for the inconvenience Creech, if my sign-up was already tallied up or something.

Edited by Scotty

i'm very sorry to be awkward, but i've deleted my sign-up post. i most likely won't be able to complete and don't want to drag someone else down with me.

if things change closer to the sign-up closing date i'll re-sign up, but for now, i'll probably be sitting this one out.

sorry, for the inconvenience Creech, if my sign-up was already tallied up or something.

Don't back out. I'm sure you'll do fine ;)

i'm very sorry to be awkward, but i've deleted my sign-up post. i most likely won't be able to complete and don't want to drag someone else down with me.

Bah! Backing out is even worse than being crap! (well not really but I'm trying to make you feel bad so you'll stay in ;) ) As you can see most of those signing up claiming to be rather useless, me included, so you shouldn't feel bad if you think you wont score high.

Bah! Backing out is even worse than being crap! (well not really but I'm trying to make you feel bad so you'll stay in ;) ) As you can see most of those signing up claiming to be rather useless, me included, so you shouldn't feel bad if you think you wont score high.

That's a good point. He could not do much worse then me :p

Stay in it Scotty and we will all do bad together ;)

So, it turns out my backlog has magic powers. I asked it what genres I would do well in, and it returned a shockingly large number. It also pointed out the genres I would do very poorly in. Turns out I have only one fighting game in the backlog: The 1989 TMNT Arcade game. The hilarious one is Sports, though. My second best sports game for competition purposes? Dead or Alive Extreme 2. I really wish I was joking there. And I don't have a single Party game in the backlog.

Having said that, I'm quite certain that all of those genres will come up now. Hopefully Music comes up first so I can once again appease the gods of random.org.

i'm very sorry to be awkward, but i've deleted my sign-up post. i most likely won't be able to compete and don't want to drag someone else down with me.

Don't drop out Scotty. It'll be fun no matter how badly we all do. :D

I imagine now's a good time to post my pre-contest disclaimer. I think my best bets are the RPG, Racing and Action. If any of these three genres come up I can confidently sit here and promise a 3 figure gamerscore haul. :p

An added bonus if Action gets picked is I can start working towards rekikire's staff club with Lego Harry Potter.

If music, sports, or fighting especially, are picked I will quickly become a most unhelpful liability to my partner.

I could find out what genre my games are by finding them on the main forum page. I was wondering. Is there a faster/better way to find out?

Because of the sub-genre/secondary genre that some games have, it seemed easier for me to check through every game that I had in my backlog via the checklist. But that might not work for every one.

You can also see a list of every other game in that genre by clicking on the genre on the game's page.