Your Favourite Gaming Genre

Ninja Eagle

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People would be surprised that "Free-Roam" isn't a genre of games, lol. Everyone who is saying Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA IV as Sandbox/Free-Roam...might wanna check again, they're considered Action games, almost Action/Adventure. Anyways...

To me at least, sandbox games is a term to describe an action/action-adventure that is free-roam, its more like a sub-genre then a full on genre.

Using the term sandbox game when describing GTA or Red Dead separates and identifies the games differences from just any other action/action adventure game. Action games can be hack and slashes, shumps, beat em ups, survival horror, platformers etc... Are you saying those genres aren't genres?

Edited by KillerBEA

Certain ones. As much hate as it gets, I enjoy CoD from time to time (though I haven't bought a CoD since BO). Battlefield is excellent as well, but kind of shitty looking after you've seen what it looks and plays like on a PC.

I know that CoD really isn't that great of a game, but it's simplicity is really what hooks me. It is quite fun to play in a full party though.

To me at least, sandbox games is a term to describe an action/action-adventure that is free-roam, its more like a sub-genre then a full on genre.

Using the term sandbox game when describing GTA or Red Dead separates and identifies the games differences from just any other action/action adventure game. Action games can be hack and slashes, shumps, beat em ups, survival horror, platformers etc... Are you saying those genres aren't genres?

I consider Free-Roam to be a genre. Roaming around doing whatever the hell you want is just so fun, especially with GTA IV, which has an awesome map perfect for it.

Point proven. Free-Roam as a sub-genre, while Action, Adventure, and Action/Adventure are the "bigger" genres :p

1. Free roaming (Deadrising,Red dead redemption,Fallout,LA Noir,Bully,GTA,Assassins Creed)

2.Shooters (Gears of war,Left 4 Dead,old school medal of honor,Battlefield 1943 and Bad Company,Halo.)

3.RPGS (Fallout and Mass effect ONLY)

You should check out my club. ;)

Sandbox games are my favorite genre. Without a doubt. Having the ability to complete a game at my leisure is a great thing.

I almost exclusivley play RPG's of any genre. Mass, Effect, Dragon Age, Elder scrolls (exception Skyrim, apparently I just couldn't get into the game. Going to get it on xbox instead of ps3 and replay to see if I can get into it.) But occasionally I do venture out and try other games, FPS and the like. The only thing I never play are sports games, I find them stupidly boring.

My absolute favourite would have to be puzzle/platformer-based games. Shooters are fun, but there's no appeal in playing a game from a genre everyone and their dog plays and sists they're pro at. I loved more alternative games like Catherine and Alice: Madness Returns. Perhaps the excessive advertisement large games get has turned me away from them.

• 2 weeks later...