Michael Phelps a druggy?

Wired Rising

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this a few minutes ago. Thought about making a thread but figured someone else would...and I was right. :p

Realistically here, a huge percentage of guys in his age group smoke pot or drink. If you're in college and you aren't a social recluse, chances are you either drink or smoke pot. It's just what people do at that age.

Obviously smoking pot hasn't hurt him too much. He's obviously not some burnt out lazy hippy. So what's the big deal? Let the man smoke a little herb. He worked hard to get what he's got, let the man enjoy the fruits of his labor with a little herb.

I wouldn't go labeling him a "druggy". There's a huge difference between marijuana and black tar heroin.

Remember, scientifically marijuana is just a plant. Just because some people choose to call it a "drug" to demonize it and make you feel bad for smoking it doesn't change the fact it's just a plant. It just so happens that if you set it on fire, it makes you happy/hungry/sleepy. Cannabis has been used recreationally and medicinally for thousands of years. It didn't become a "drug" until the last 100 years.

Tobacco is 10x worse for you, 100x more addictive, and doesn't provide any of the positive effects, but I don't see anyone calling that a drug. I've quit smoking both tobacco and pot. I started both habits when I was 14. I stopped smoking pot for extended periods numerous times over the 7 years since then without giving it a second thought. I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for seven years without ever stopping. When I did finally quit smoking cigarettes, I did it cold turkey the old fashioned way. No patch, no gum, no pills.

Know what helped me quit smoking cigs successfully without ever slipping up? I smoked a ton of reefer to calm my nerves for a month until the cravings went away. Now, a year later, I still get cravings for cigarettes constantly. I even get dreams at least once a month where I'm smoking, and then when I wake up I'm in a panic that I started smoking again until I realize it was just a dream. That's right, I have Tobacco Nightmares. But yet I quit smoking pot as soon as the nicotine cravings became manageable, and I've never "craved" a joint.

Smokers don't get called druggies, even though tobacco kills 400,000+ people a year while cannabis kills...none. There has never, ever been a credible link made between marijuana and any sort of fatality aside from maybe someone under the influence behind the wheel of a vehicle.

I'm not saying smoking pot is a good thing, I'm just saying there's a whole lot worse you could be caught doing. I'd be far more upset if they caught him smoking a Marlboro.

Edited by Bluntman428

I understand where your coming from, just first thing I thought of automatically. My bad for the assumption.

LOL I'm just saying I consider a "druggy" someone who's entirely dependent on a substance to get through their day.

Crackheads, heroin junkies, tweakers...those folks are who I think of when I hear the term druggy. Potheads are just that...potheads. Completely harmless in every way.

You never hear any stories on the news of people jacked up on marijuana going on killing sprees or robbing old ladies to fund their pot habit.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article5634206.ece

Haha! Wow.

Anyone have anything to say about this one?

Cut the guy a damned break! He won 14 medals! LET HIM get high if he wants. I don't support drug use in any way, I'm 100% against it. I even delete friends from my 360 friends list who do/promote it. But the guy CLEARLY pushed himself to win those medals. I know people are heartbroken but I think this guy deserves a bong hit of a recreational drug. And if he gets addicted, then he's an idiot. With as hard a work ethic as this guy has, I doubt he'd honestly succumb to the drug. It was actually a relief to hear it was that and not steroids, honestly. I heard about the wins and thought it had to be some sort of performance enhancer.

And dude, I want your Master Shake iPod avatar thing. :drunk

They should make him a poster child for weed, not demonize him for it.

You can smoke pot, and set all kinds of world records n shit! You want this!

As funny as they may have meant to be, it's completely true! I wouldn't go as far as saying, "You Want This!" but showing that it's not going to completely drag you down...

Tobacco is 10x worse for you, 100x more addictive, and doesn't provide any of the positive effects.

It's not tobacco per say that's that terrible but the astounding number of chemicals. Tobacco is not addictive. The nicotine makes you addicted hence the nicotine gum and patch.

I know most people are saying, "what's the big deal?" But you have to realize he is an international athlete that's looked up to by millions of children. People in sports are held to a higher stander than people of general society who are considered ants in anthill and should only work to contribute to society. He has everything in the world that he could ever dream of. He is widely considered the greatest Olympian ever. He has millions of dollars and numerous endorsement deals. You say, "what's the big deal?" but he's thinking, "shit! there goes my face on cereal, etc." Would anyone give up all he has just to smoke pot? The fact that remains is that society has set the rule that pot is frowned up. What are you going to do about it? Nothing. You can't do anything. Now if you want to sacrifice everything for pot, be my guest but I would never do something so idiotic. Of course, he won't lose anything because he's Michael Phelps but look at athletes who have lost a lot because of drugs deemed unacceptable.

Unless he has an addictive personality, he's not going to get addicted to weed. It's no more addictive than licking a stamp.

That's debatable. There have been studies where it shows heavy users going through withdrawal-like symptoms after stopping. A lot of people become emotionally dependent on pot and its pain relieving effects. Thought it may not chemically addicting like cigarettes, it can easily create an emotional dependence on it due to its serene effects. So yes, you can become addicted to it emotionally.

I don't care about marijuana use, if anything about him pisses me off it's the fact that he's been arrested for driving under the influence. Smoking pot didn't endanger anyone, assuming that he didn't do anything stupid, like say go take a drive while he's high. I'd hope he's not stupid enough to do something like that after he's already got caught once for being intoxicated behind the wheel.

I have to say that I kinda agree with both sides on this. Ok, he is a world champion swimmer and pot obviously didn't affect what he can do, but at the same time you are also a huge role model for younger kids. He has to know that most of his endorsement contracts have a clause that negates said contract for any negative publicity that he brings to the company. I know I wouldn't jeopardize that for a little pot. Would any of you? Probably not. And anyways, if your going to do it, at least do it in the privacy of your own 5 million dollar condo by yourself

That's debatable. There have been studies where it shows heavy users going through withdrawal-like symptoms after stopping. A lot of people become emotionally dependent on pot and its pain relieving effects. Thought it may not chemically addicting like cigarettes, it can easily create an emotional dependence on it due to its serene effects. So yes, you can become addicted to it emotionally.

Anything done in excess can lead to addiction. I'd say that a huge number of people who frequent this site are addicted to gaming and their gamerscore. What possible reason would anyone have for playing My Horse and Me 2 if they weren't addicted to their gamerscore?

Most "studies" done on marijuana that show negative side effects are funded by the government or tobacco lobbyists. People used to say smoking pot led to psychosis too. You can't always take everything scientists say at face value. Sometimes you need to look deeper into the study itself, who conducted it, and who funded it.

Anything done in excess can lead to addiction. I'd say that a huge number of people who frequent this site are addicted to gaming and their gamerscore. What possible reason would anyone have for playing My Horse and Me 2 if they weren't addicted to their gamerscore?

Most "studies" done on marijuana that show negative side effects are funded by the government or tobacco lobbyists. People used to say smoking pot led to psychosis too. You can't always take everything scientists say at face value. Sometimes you need to look deeper into the study itself, who conducted it, and who funded it.

I never said "anything" couldn't. And I never said anyone should or should not smoke it. My point is that, even though I hate it, society runs the show. Why would Michael Phelps stupidly forgo a mass fortune and legacy to smoke pot? Do I think it is stupid to not legalize pot? Yes, I do but it hasn't be done because the government can't take a huge advantage of it as well as possibly putting the wood industry into shambles. I think the amount of police force and time taken to investigate pot is unnecessary. There are much better things we can do with tax payer dollars instead of investing it into pot. But my entire point is that Michael Phelps is an idiot. I have nothing against pot but he's held to a different standard. Now he's like Roger Clemens!

They have been talking about this on the radio. I personally believe he is a role model and he needs to act like one. A perfect example is Kurt Warnner (Cardinals QB). I heard an interview with him and he talked about having to live his life the right way even behind closed doors because he is a role model. In my mind that was really refeshing.

If he was drunk I would think he is just as wrong as he is for doing drugs. But if he was out with friends and had a few drinks no big deal.