Haven't Played Pervious Entries

d0ct0rscarecr0w

Well, this is a total reboot basically, so I can't imagine you'd have any problems, story-wise. It's not really a prequel, as it's set in modern time (as evidenced by the tech she has). Besides, Lara's past was pretty well established anyway. Again, this is more of a reboot than anything else.

reboot? So, its pretty much it's own universe? I didn't know the other games took place in the past.

Cool thanks. I definitely pick it up, Looks promising.

Well while waiting that it's released I would suggest trying the older games :) They are pretty good! And this new one appears to be completely different experience from what I've heard/seen :)

Well I don't have time for ever Tomb Raider game ever made. Any suggestions?

Note: I got a 360 and PC. No Xbox, PS3, PS2, or PS1

GoG.com has the first three Tomb Raider games for 10 bucks, all of those are pretty good/great. After that they are fairly bad up until Tomb Raider: Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. I'd say that if you want to play the games, go for those, and they should all be cheap and easy to pick up now. Anniversary is an HD remake of the original Tomb Raider with some changes to the level design and minor story changes to make Lara more believable, so you can probably miss that out if you want.

reboot? So, its pretty much it's own universe? I didn't know the other games took place in the past.

Cool thanks. I definitely pick it up, Looks promising.

The other games didn't take place in the past. But the Previous games have their Separate Timeline if you will.

Think of this new Tomb Raider game like the new Batman Movies, or the New James Bond with Daniel Craig(Technically takes place before all previous James Bond Movies, but he obviously has the technology of today):

A Total Reboot/Restart/Refresh of the Series, character, and Universe. Starting now instead of sometime before the First game.

And I for one think this will be one of the Best Games of 2013.

Edited by ZingZitang

With it being a reboot its a great time for you to be coming in to get this. As for trying other TR games I would say Tomb Raider Underworld, that was by far my favorite the controls were alot better as well. There was one I would stay away from tho I can't remember the title but you had to run up these burning stairs and jump a ledge and I could never get past that part the controls were that bad.

I love the route this one is taking!

The Tomb Raider games have never really built off of each other. Each game is it's own adventure separate from the rest of the series. I never played the originals, but I've seen the movies and played the ones on 360 and understood what was going on perfectly. This new game is also restarting the entire series from scratch. Lara is younger, has a more realistic design, and an entirely new approach on gameplay for the series, having gone from platforming puzzles to survival horror.

The Tomb Raider games have never really built off of each other. Each game is it's own adventure separate from the rest of the series. I never played the originals, but I've seen the movies and played the ones on 360 and understood what was going on perfectly.

Uhhhh.... what? I'd say the only ones that fit your description are I, II and III, which you say you've not played. Chronicles (and to a lesser extent Angel of Darkness) follow up on Last Revelation (the only "real" TR game I've not played (I don't count Guardian of Light as a real TR game, nor was it ever intended to be one)), while Underworld is a direct sequel to Legend and draws heavily on Anniversary (a modernized reimagining of TR1).

And the movies have absolutely nothing to do with the games (other than being the inspiration behind Croft Manor in the Legend series).

Edited by jswartz0181

Also, so you are sure it's not related at all to any of the other games? Someone said its supposed to take place in the 80s.

I guess I'm not 100%, but she does have an iPod-like device in one of the Trailers.

Lara is younger, has a more realistic design,

I for one find the New, more Realistic Lara much, much more attractive than any previous Lara we've seen.

Also, so you are sure it's not related at all to any of the other games? Someone said its supposed to take place in the 80s.

I do believe that that was what people though initially when they realize it was a younger Lara Croft and this was suppose to be her first steps into becoming the world-greatest-slow-mo-jumping-killing-dinosaurs-arqueologist that she was in the previous games. Really, I never like it that much, I hate ficticional characters set in supposed realistic scenarios that turns out to exceed in every aspect to any other human being in the universe. And the Angelina Jolie movies prove how much stupid it was the original concept in the first place.

I will not bother to play the older games unless you´re retro. This game has nothing to do with the old saga, and I actually think there will be no similar plots or returning characters other than Lara.

• 3 weeks later...
I guess I'm not 100%, but she does have an iPod-like device in one of the Trailers.

I for one find the New, more Realistic Lara much, much more attractive than any previous Lara we've seen.

Now that some time has passed I've heard both that it takes place in the same universe and that it is a new one set in modern times, I'm not sure which is right anymore.

Also I totally agree.

Now that some time has passed I've heard both that it takes place in the same universe and that it is a new one set in modern times, I'm not sure which is right anymore.

Also I totally agree.

Think of it in the same way as Back to the Future 2. We have gone back in time but have skewed off into an alternate time. Yes it is set within the same universe and it is a story of her past, but set later then the already established Tomb Raider timeline.

• 4 weeks later...

Big, big fan of the series but its safe to say the older games have aged a fair bit now in terms of core gameplay (the puzzling is still top notch!).

Given you haven't played a TR game before I highly recommend you check out Anniversary as, out of the three 360 games at least, it's probably the the most "Tomb Raider-y". Underworld is also great if you can look past the wonky camera and occasional glitches.