Computer suggestions?

Sanction

My parents said they would give me a laptop / desktop for graduation (I think they're leaning more toward laptop) so does anyone have suggestions on what brand I should get? I've been looking at Alienware computers for a while and I like what I'm seeing there. I'm mainly going to be listening to music and playing the occasional flash game.

Ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you need to be mobile, don't get a laptop. They are such a hassle depending on what you do and where you live. Laptops get stolen a lot and can't be upgraded easily (if you work with hardware at all). Listening to music and playing flash games could probably be done with my piece of crap 6-7 year old laptop.

Alienware = biggest rip off since canned air... you can get the parts they put in their machines for half the price...they give their machines big numbers but budjet parts.. that are worse..

for example: Alienware Machine with 5gb ram.. their ram costing them £30 with shitty stats = the same as a normal stat 1 stick of 1gb ram.. they are the biggest con ever and they cover it up with nice shiny cases lol

You don't perticaly need a powerful machine if all your going to be doing is playing music and flash games they aren't high CPU or memory reliant things to do.

Best bet i would say is get a machine thats about 1.4ghz / 2gb ram / 128mb or 256mb graphics (flash games don't really even need that 64mb onboard would be ok)

and a reasonably big h/d to what ever suits you because i pressume you will wanting to store your music on it.

Unless you plan to do anything else with it i suggest you stay well clear of anything high spec because you wont need it and will be wasting your money.. you could probably pick up a base unit for 70-100 or less for what you require. So don't let anyone con you into thinking you'll need dual core cpu for listening to music and loads of RAM they will be talking pure BS.

And stay well clear of PC World and Alienware.

Your best bet would be to find a local computer maitanence shop at a highstreet and tell them what you need to do to with the PC and they will help you find the best solution.

Sorry if any of this is confusing i've been working as a computer/server technecian for the last 6 years and sometimes I forget people don't understand certain termonoly etc

Got any questions just ask me :)

Alienware is so overrated, IF you want to pay 1k more than what the systems worth go alienware especially on desktops. If your going desktop build your own you'll save ass loads. I got a dell 1520 and love it no problems at all. But if all your going to do is listen to music and play flash games why the hell are you looking at alienwares?

Alienware is so overrated, IF you want to pay 1k more than what the systems worth go alienware especially on desktops. If your going desktop build your own you'll save ass loads. I got a dell 1520 and love it no problems at all. But if all your going to do is listen to music and play flash games why the hell are you looking at alienwares?

Does it matter? Why do you look at one car and not the other? Personal preference mainly. Plus they look cool as hell.

Doesn't matter anyway since a family friend can get me an insane discount on one. So I'll be getting one for about 50% of what suckers pay. :p

Well, I would personally go with a iMac, those things are the shit! One of my school teachers has 3 of them and they are awesome! But if you are used to dells, they can be a little tricky at 1st, but they are great after you figure them out(usually takes about an hour of testing everything out).

Btw, what computer are you using now? Are you satisfied with it, or are you looking for something different than what you have? If you're satisfied, buy a newer version of the same one you have, or save your money for college or something.

If you're just going to use mainly music and flash games, the iMac is the way to go, considering it has iTunes pre-installed, and it can handle practically all types of things(loss of better words lol), considering Vista works better on it than it does on Dells:eek:.

Hmm. I am very intrigued. I heard that Macs were nice computers and worked well too, but I've never used one. lol. :p

I'm using a Gateway 505 right now. I bought it in November of 2004 and it has served me well and have had a few problems with it, but nothing major. But I definitely don't want another Gateway.

I've always wanted a Mac. Now I want even more. Screw Alienware. ;)

Lol, glad to help:). If you want a laptop they have really good laptops too. I would know because my bro has one. But I would recommend getting the iMac, considering it's better, has a bigger screen, and especially since you haven't told us of a money limit:p.

Also, if you get the mac, try out garage band. That is a very time-consuming thing and you can rock out to your own music.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/vostronb_1500?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

My one true love. I had the Macbook and your just paying for the name. Dell is the same and somewhat better IMO. It is a great laptop for running games, music, movies in HD, and pretty much EVERYTHING you could expect from a laptop. It is great and one of the best out there. Believe me ge the Dell, you save 300$ and get the same quality.

i have an HP. i think it was $1,300 about 3 years ago. i dont play any games on it because i hate pc gaming, but it works perfectly for what i do which is just get on the internet:p.

but personally if i were to get a new computer tomorrow i would get a mac. now that they use windows there is pretty much no reason not to get one(other than that they are more exspensive.)

For all you people who say Macs are more expensive than PC's.

If you compare a Mac price to a PC (Same type, Ex. Desktop, Laptop)

You will find that the reason Mac is so expensive is because it already has the upgraded hard drive space, upgraded memory, graphics card, Etc. You name it, it's already up there in quality. If you look at a PC you'll find they start very low in specs, and gradually get higher.

So when you finally find all the right specs for your PC, you'll be spending the exact same amount on it than you would a Mac, or more.

Dude Get A Alenware

they do???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware

also, why get an alienware when you could get a rig that does the same for cheaper. the case's are nothing speical and you could get a nice one that you can fit yourself for like £40.

also, if you want to splash out, get a 8-Core Power Mac with 32Gb of ram and 4Tb worth of space :woop:

For all you people who say Macs are more expensive than PC's.

If you compare a Mac price to a PC (Same type, Ex. Desktop, Laptop)

You will find that the reason Mac is so expensive is because it already has the upgraded hard drive space, upgraded memory, graphics card, Etc. You name it, it's already up there in quality. If you look at a PC you'll find they start very low in specs, and gradually get higher.

So when you finally find all the right specs for your PC, you'll be spending the exact same amount on it than you would a Mac, or more.

Don't get me wrong, I love Macs and have used a mac at home rather than a PC for the past 8 years, but..... they are more expensive than PCs either way. You do pay for the fact that it's a mac, that's for sure. That's the only reason I haven't upgraded my old Grape iMac yet!

Maybe it's different over in the US anyway, but I know that here in the UK, getting a Mac is definitely more expensive than getting a decent spec PC.

Of course I'll still get another one day though! :p

Before buying ANYTHING I would go to your nearest CompUSA, Office Max, Office Depot, anywhere that sells a good amount of computers so you can try out some computers. If you are thinking about an iMac or a Mac Book, try finding an apple store or a CompUSA where they sell them. Ask them to show you a few things, you will be amazed, just like I was :p

Get a MacBook - I've had one for a year and a half now and it's still running like it was from day one (whilst if I had a computer I bet you it would have broken by now:(). ALSO - if you buy a macbook now, it has boot camp on it so you can run Mac OSX *AND* windows Vista/XP. You can't lose (especially if your parents are paying haha :))

Peace

oh god, i want this so bad

Mac Pro

• Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  • 32GB (8x4GB)
  • 4xATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB GDDR3
  • 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
  • Two 16x SuperDrives
  • AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
  • Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mac OS
  • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
  • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" LCD)

£12,610.99