Vigors Vs. Plasmids

NShepherd N7

I was a little disappointed in the Vigors in this game. Not necessarily because of their gameplay usefulness, but because of their story significance. Or lack thereof. In Bioshock, Plasmids were central to the plot. The ability to manipulate genetics combined with Ayn Rand's Objectivism creates a world where everyone is constantly trying to improve themselves, and the splicers were driven mad by it.

In Infinite? What significance to the story do Vigors represent? So far it just seems like they're there because they're "cool". And despite them being freely handed out in the streets, only Booker seems able to use them, except for the rare enemy type here and there.

Am I the only one disappointed in their lack of importance? And are there plasmids you wished to see return/replace a vigor?

Or lack thereof. In Bioshock, Plasmids were central to the plot.

In Infinite? What significance to the story do Vigors represent? So far it just seems like they're there because they're "cool". And despite them being freely handed out in the streets, only Booker seems able to use them, except for the rare enemy type here and there.

I will be adressing each paragraph listed above. you will also want to read about the other quote as well as it ties in directly with yours.

1. I don't think Plasmids were really central to any plot, they were important to use to help you get stuff done but the game didn't rely on them much, you could beat any and every BS game while barely using any Plasmids or Vigors, they weren't really story pivatol (sp?) either.

2. just tossing it out here other than bosses, the earlier BS games didn't have enemies who used ANY plasmids, and the bosses that had plasmids didn't much use them. most enemies used meelee even for christ's sake. it was pathetic. Also it should be noted that you see a few people using them, it's more of a circus act type thing it seems in their world, you see clowns outside where you first get posession that have a number of the abilities, the crow sect have it, flamers have them, the woman who gives you possession has it and someone else does. lots of people have them, but no one really uses them.

I don't think enemeis will ever get to use the abilities much in any game, a good case and point. enemy having a leveled up possession vigor, well you just died the moment they used it, because when it ends you kill yourself. That's a fun game... OR how about someone constantly using shock to stun you until you're dead, very fun... it's just never going to happen, your character is made to be rather overpowered, if they were provided that then everyone would bitch that the guys were too OP.

Other than being created by Fink Inc, we really got no details at all. When I was playing the game, it didn't bother me too much but now I am thinking that its kinda a plot whole, not a big one but we should have been told.

Fink created them the same way he did the Handymen, he viewed it from a Tear just as his brother viewed music through a tear (which is why more current day musics are in the game, and are NOT easter eggs as everyone claims them to be). He viewed the people in Rapture making Plasmids and Big Daddys that's where Vigors and Handimen came about.

I'm with you, OP. The supernatural/superscience parts of Rapture were very specifically explained. The Columbia stuff was somewhat loosely explained.

I also didn't think the Vigors were as cool as the Plasmids. I liked the instruction videos in BS1/2 better too. The plasmids, once upgraded, made me feel like a powerful tank. The vigors never quite worked as well for me.

The bottles were cool. It's too bad you didn't get to see them more often.

1. I don't think Plasmids were really central to any plot, they were important to use to help you get stuff done but the game didn't rely on them much, you could beat any and every BS game while barely using any Plasmids or Vigors, they weren't really story pivatol (sp?) either.

I don't think you understand the term "central to the plot"

he wasnt saying you NEED them for the game

he was talking about the reasoning behind them

without plasmids bioshock would have been a completely different place, wouldnt have splicers therefore rapture woudlnt have been so rundown and everything destroyed - itd be full of people too

so I'd say plasmids were quite central to the plot, any plot.

Fink created them the same way he did the Handymen, he viewed it from a Tear just as his brother viewed music through a tear (which is why more current day musics are in the game, and are NOT easter eggs as everyone claims them to be). He viewed the people in Rapture making Plasmids and Big Daddys that's where Vigors and Handimen came about.

While that answers part of the question, perhaps, it isn't a sufficient answer. Plasmids are developed from ADAM, which is itself a product of a species of sea slug found on the sea floor in the environs of Rapture. How is Fink able to produce Salts or Vigors? Is it via the same animal? From a different source? Is he actually visiting Rapture through a tear to procure ADAM?