Two things that confuse me about the ending (spoilers)

I am Goliath

Okay, so Jackie kills himself with the syphon in order to go to Hell to save Jenny. Since he used the syphon, he was now permanately dead because the Darkness can't fix that damage. With the Angelus appearing, it was definitely a twist for Jackie, but this leads to my questions:

1. Even though the Angelus told Jackie she was trapping him in Hell, what was the point of him acting so shocked and terrified? He knew what he was heading towards to save Jenny. Was he expecting to leave Hell somehow after he saved Jenny? Speaking of Hell . . .

2. Is it really Hell Jackie is trapped in, or is it The Darkness? I'm hearing both sides of the coin where one side says he's trapped in Hell with The Darkness, while the other side says he's trapped within The Darkness. Which one is it?

EDIT: I have another question that doesn't refer to the topic of this thread, but I figured I might as well ask:

How exactly does The Darkness travel through different hosts? I can understand that this refers to the Estacado bloodline, but what if the current host never has a kid? What happens to The Darkness when the host dies of age or something?

1) He has that look because he did all of this to free jenny's soul from the darkness. To get her away all the despair he causes, so she could rest in peace. But instead she is inserted right back in the middle of things, right back in the thick of the light v dark war. So i assume he looks at it like he did this to her again.

2) I think its the Hell the darkness created personally. Though the asylum bits do tend to have me lean toward that it actually is hell that jackie is in at the end. Since the darkness created that whole asylum dream to occupy jackie's time when he was near death

To answer 3. The Darkness travels from host to host as soon as the father impregnates a woman with a son. As soon as the woman concieves the host will die (Jackies dad actually died while still inside a prostitute). If the host doesn't want to have sex with women anymore, or is gay or something, the Darkness will possess the host. In Jackies case the Darkness possessed him and made him have sex with a woman named Sara (Witchblade) while she was in a coma. Good news for Jackie though as the resulting baby was a girl and the Darkness needs a male body, like the Angelus needs a womans body. Hope this answered your question.

Edited by The Splatterpus

To answer 3. The Darkness travels from host to host as soon as the father impregnates a woman with a son. As soon as the woman concieves the host will die (Jackies dad actually died while still inside a prostitute). If the host doesn't want to have sex with women anymore, or is gay or something, the Darkness will possess the host. In Jackies case the Darkness possessed him and made him have sex with a woman named Sara (Witchblade) while she was in a coma. Good news for Jackie though as the resulting baby was a girl and the Darkness needs a male body, like the Angelus needs a womans body. Hope this answered your question.

Possibly in the comic, but it's different in the game. In one of the monologues in this game Jackie mentions waking up with his father on the edge of his bed with a gun or knife. Also there are various pictures of Jackie and his father throughout the game.

Possibly in the comic, but it's different in the game. In one of the monologues in this game Jackie mentions waking up with his father on the edge of his bed with a gun or knife. Also there are various pictures of Jackie and his father throughout the game.

Yeah I agree. The game has definitely defied the comic book laws of "The Darkness" so it leads me to believe that it will have a different outcome.

The most easiest to believe, is that if Jackie doesn't consumate or pass the Darkness on some other way I think he will just live forever. It's not that hard to believe, if the Darkness can keep reviving him when he dies then he can sure as hell keep him alive indefinitely.

1) He has that look because he did all of this to free jenny's soul from the darkness. To get her away all the despair he causes, so she could rest in peace. But instead she is inserted right back in the middle of things, right back in the thick of the light v dark war. So i assume he looks at it like he did this to her again.

2) I think its the Hell the darkness created personally. Though the asylum bits do tend to have me lean toward that it actually is hell that jackie is in at the end. Since the darkness created that whole asylum dream to occupy jackie's time when he was near death

I agree with that is what he was yelling about. Not that the Angelus is in her, it will wage war on evil. From all the relics, we learned that the Darkness kills her....a lot. I think the Angelus goes through a lot of hosts. While she is a 'good' guy, she has no remorse or caring for humans, and has killed and abused the souls of humans just as the Darkness has.

Just as Jackie is cursed with the Darkness, Jenny is now cursed with the Angelus, until the Angelus probably results in her death.

I have never read any of The Darkness comics. Is any of the story from the game in the comics? Like, is Jenny in the comics and all that.

yeah she is. the Angelus is the opposite force of the darkness..and they have a "child" at one point, The Witchblade. I wish the games would actually just go straight into the comics...show other cross overs like the Magdalena.

• 1 month later...
yeah she is. the Angelus is the opposite force of the darkness..and they have a "child" at one point, The Witchblade. I wish the games would actually just go straight into the comics...show other cross overs like the Magdalena.

The Darkness II still had to be a direct sequel to the first game, which had essentially retconned large parts of the story (from what I've heard - I've never read the comics myself). They wanted it to be as close to the comic as possible, but they still had to work within the confines of the original game's narrative, hence the changes that they made.

It would be hard for them to dive straight into the comic lore, because then they would have to retcon the video game story as well, which would make the initial retcon pointless and the overall story a tad confusing. It's probably best to look at the games as adaptations or re-tellings of the comic books, but even then, I'm sure Digital Extremes (assuming more games are made by them) will try to work in as much comic book stuff as possible.

• 5 years later...

I dunno when it comes to the ending of the game. In the first series of the comic Jackie kill himself at the same time as he kill Frankie Franchetti. (they kinda fusioned Frankie and Paulie in the game, but in the comic there 2 different characters, Frankie is the original mob boss and Jackie's adoptive "uncle")

Frankie killed Jenny but its a tape he send Jackie, so nothing Jackie can do to save her. So Jackie make a whole wharehouse explode and he "dies" but the Darkness bring him back for serie 2. Sadly i never could read serie 2, as i have the compendium of serie 1 only, then i started buying serie 3 until i was not as much into comic books. Serie 3 had ups and down to say the least.

But yeah in the comic serie 1 the main antagonist are The Brotherhood (altough different than in the game) , Frankie Franchetti and The Angelus. The Angelus switch from Host to host and never care for the human. Her first host is destroyed rather quickly, then if my memory is right, she jump in Frankie's catatonic wife for second host until the host get destroy. Then there is i think a third Angelus host wich i don't remember exactly who it was and finally The ANgelus after so many failures realize a new way is maybe the best thing, she decide to do like The Darkness do and give control to the host, wich is Danielle Baptiste, the second Witchblade bearer.

In any case the major difference between the game and comics is that Jenny just dies and never come back (at least not that i know of) and is never an Angelus host. Paulie is the second uncle to appear after Frankie dies.

And obviously the Darkness armor is much more bad ass in the comic, dunno why they never used it in the game... :(