Calling all jet pilots......? TIPS

wizardfire

Ok first off I did search the search bar for jets and jets help but nothing came up so if there is a thread or post about this then I'm truly sorry and delete as appropriate..

Ok I'm confused as to how some pilots can lock onto me twice even after I disperse a flare to counter the missile? ( I know you can use Beam scanning to lock on bit quicker)

For example I get locked on and I wait for the continued beeps then let off my flare but then almost straight after that I get locked on again? I get that there could be more than one jet or helo or ground troops targeting me but I know that the person following me is the one that also gets the kill on me using the missile? I watched the kill cam and it's just him following me.

It could be coincidence that as he was following me that a ground troop targeted me and then he got me after that but not all the time which it seems to happen to me a lot.

What about set ups? I use beam scanning,infra red Flares and heat seekers what do you use?

Also what's the deal with aiming and using your guns? I seem to use the crosshairs and I shoot the jet but it takes forever but then when someone shoots me I'm down within a few shots?

I can never seem to bank or outrun jets they always seem to be able to track and follow me no matter what I do and yet when I follow people I can't always follow and get the kill (yeas I get that I'm not a good fighter pilot as some and yes I proberbly got taken down by a pro) but me asking is like asking for some general tips in improving my jet tatics and overall flying techniques..

And yes I know practice makes perfect but seriously sometimes it's like and soon as I take off I get shot down again...so annoying!

So any help tips etc would be gratefully received..

Ok I'm confused as to how some pilots can lock onto me twice even after I disperse a flare to counter the missile? ( I know you can use Beam scanning to lock on bit quicker)

For example I get locked on and I wait for the continued beeps then let off my flare but then almost straight after that I get locked on again?

Jets have two heat seekers per reload. It's common for pilots to shoot one missile, wait until target launches flares, then shoot the other missile. Flares do not break a lockon any more.

What about set ups? I use beam scanning,infra red Flares and heat seekers what do you use?

Air Radar, Flares, Rockets. Heat seekers in jets are for noobs

Also what's the deal with aiming and using your guns? I seem to use the crosshairs and I shoot the jet but it takes forever but then when someone shoots me I'm down within a few shots?

You have to lead your target, this will vary on how fast you and the target are moving, you just have to get a feel for it, keep adjusting your aim until you start getting hits. Some people are just too good at this game, once they get behind me it's like they're attached to my ass with superglue

I can never seem to bank or outrun jets they always seem to be able to track and follow me no matter what I do and yet when I follow people I can't always follow and get the kill (yeas I get that I'm not a good fighter pilot as some and yes I proberbly got taken down by a pro) but me asking is like asking for some general tips in improving my jet tatics and overall flying techniques..

The jet physics in this game make zero fucking sense. If you're going faster you can make sharper turns, once again you're just going to have to get a feel for how these things handle

cheers for the response and reply i guess it really is practice makes perfect, i do hold back on one missle myself and then shoot the other but makes no difference it seems as they still fly around.. just have to get used to the shooting bit but i do get pissed off with no matter how i try to shake some people the are still on my tail all the time....

even when i bank go up and down round and round they are there (aimbot me thinks LoL)

anyway i guess practice just makes perfect....

Jets have two heat seekers per reload. It's common for pilots to shoot one missile, wait until target launches flares, then shoot the other missile. Flares do not break a lockon any more.

Air Radar, Flares, Rockets. Heat seekers in jets are for noobs

You have to lead your target, this will vary on how fast you and the target are moving, you just have to get a feel for it, keep adjusting your aim until you start getting hits. Some people are just too good at this game, once they get behind me it's like they're attached to my ass with superglue

The jet physics in this game make zero fucking sense. If you're going faster you can make sharper turns, once again you're just going to have to get a feel for how these things handle

Pretty much this, except optimal turning speed is actually in the middle, 210 or 310, can't remember which, since I can't even see the damn thing in jets (choppers are fine, but I cannot see air speed in jets at all) and just have to feel it out.

Also, try to fly with a wingman, it seriously makes everything better, even if neither of you are especially good.

Once you fly past a flare it does no good for the defense. 310 is the ideal speed for hornet/flanker. beam scanning is good for quicker locks until you get good at the cannon. I would say radar for dogfights. If you use rocket pods remember one thing, the capital "I" in your crosshair is were your rockets are gonna land(Helis/Jets) This is coming from a better chopper pilot than Ace in the jet. I also fly in the jet and press down on the d-pad and survey the battlfield. also master the "S" turn. There are plenty of how-to vids on Youtube on how to execute.

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it,I found a cool way of invading or at least getting your Health back after being hit and that is to just fly around in circles continuously,it worked for me only a few times did I get taken out but that was because I was locked on from the ground as well but it works,now all I gotta do is master the s manoeuvre and get better with the gun then onto the helicopter I think...

Thanks again guys...

Thanks for the tips guys I really appreciate it,I found a cool way of invading or at least getting your Health back after being hit and that is to just fly around in circles continuously,it worked for me only a few times did I get taken out but that was because I was locked on from the ground as well but it works,now all I gotta do is master the s manoeuvre and get better with the gun then onto the helicopter I think...

Thanks again guys...

As a side note. Flying in circles will only help you evade the noobiest of pilots (like me). You may be able to survive a little longer by doing it to mediocre pilots, but anyone who can dogfight well won't be affected by your circle skills.

I really suck at flying jets. Seriously. I can keep them in the air okay, but I'm lucky to be able to hit anything and if anyone decides to pay any attention to me, I'm dead.

Enter the gunship. I've scored more points in the jet since AK came out than I have in the entire 11 months I've had the game. I finally got a jet kill as well for taking that monster down. I'm so close to unlocking the Heat Seekers, which should help get more jet points in future.

So I'd say, if you're not a good pilot and you're needing some easy points to help rank up and improve your kit: play AK and head for the gunship. One or two good strafing runs will take it down.

I really suck at flying jets. Seriously. I can keep them in the air okay, but I'm lucky to be able to hit anything and if anyone decides to pay any attention to me, I'm dead.

Enter the gunship. I've scored more points in the jet since AK came out than I have in the entire 11 months I've had the game. I finally got a jet kill as well for taking that monster down. I'm so close to unlocking the Heat Seekers, which should help get more jet points in future.

So I'd say, if you're not a good pilot and you're needing some easy points to help rank up and improve your kit: play AK and head for the gunship. One or two good strafing runs will take it down.

thats if you don't get taken down first mate, i have improved my flying a bit but need to work on my gun skills and chasing/outrunning as well.

lately i seem to do ok but that could be just luck...

i am rubbish in the helicopter though and could use some improvement but i hate to get shot down all the time,maybe i will rent a server for the day and just practise flying? would of been easier if EA gave you a training mode or something for the jets and helicopters in the first place as its not nice trying to improve but get shot down every single time..

thats if you don't get taken down first mate, i have improved my flying a bit but need to work on my gun skills and chasing/outrunning as well.

lately i seem to do ok but that could be just luck...

i am rubbish in the helicopter though and could use some improvement but i hate to get shot down all the time,maybe i will rent a server for the day and just practise flying? would of been easier if EA gave you a training mode or something for the jets and helicopters in the first place as its not nice trying to improve but get shot down every single time..

No need to rent a server! Just join one of the hundreds of already empty ones and practice there. Make sure to select unranked in the server browser, so you can be sure that no one will join.

The nowhere to learn problem was fixed several patches ago and there is no reason to spend money to do it.

• 1 month later...

I've learned to make turns much sharper in the air and only works every now and then. I usually bank the plane to which ever way I'm turning use the break a bit so when i get to a certain angle i turn on the afterburners which gets me out of the turn quick and sometimes out of danger. Just make sure your not so close to the ground or near some mountains when you do that. Again it only works against some pilots that aren't that great, against better pilots it all depends on skill in losing them.

For example I get locked on and I wait for the continued beeps then let off my flare but then almost straight after that I get locked on again?

One thing I noticed here, is that you're firing off the flares when you get the continuous tone. If so, you're setting off the flares too early, you should be releasing them when the tone changes from continuous to rapid beeping.

Setting them off too early allows your opponent to wait until your flares have dispersed, then finish you off easily with their two missiles.

As far as evasion goes, don't rely on circle work. Change things up with rapid changes in direction - for example if you're banking left, reverse direction with a rapid right bank, followed by another quick bank to the left. Against experienced pilots, this will only delay the inevitable, but not everyone in the skies is a pro!

The pilots I've struggled against not only weave on the horizontal plane, but vertically as well. So they not only change direction, but change altitude whilst in mid turn as well. I'm still learning this myself, sometimes it works, other times I become spread across the landscape.

But if you've got a friend available and willing to help, jump into an empty server and practice dogfighting. You don't necessarily have to start shooting at each other straight away, even practising tailing an enemy and maneuvering into the right attack position can make a world of difference.