Turbo?

This game can be completed relatively quickly (i.e. in around 120 hours) from what I can tell if done right other than the long grinding achieves. So my question is, are there random encounters in some kind of overworld map in the vein of the older jrpgs? I ask this because if so then theoretically you could tape down the controller's attack and run buttons and run in circles on a turbo controller, automatically grinding the points necessary to max out all skills. Can anyone confirm this?

This game can be completed relatively quickly (i.e. in around 120 hours) from what I can tell if done right other than the long grinding achieves. So my question is, are there random encounters in some kind of overworld map in the vein of the older jrpgs? I ask this because if so then theoretically you could tape down the controller's attack and run buttons and run in circles on a turbo controller, automatically grinding the points necessary to max out all skills. Can anyone confirm this?

There are no random battles on the world map. However there is quest zones with random battles. There is also an autobattle feature. However the grid and several options while moving/attacking negate your Turbo. You could just set them up with only certain skills however with tape on a thumbstick. But that could take a LONG time from what I've read.

Even with the turbo approach the attribute masteries do take a long time. Estimating what I just ran, starting on the 31st to finishing earlier this morning, I'd say around 120 hours. Could have been sooner had I not wanted to get redundant masteries on common attributes, such as general for fighters.

As for what I did, you'll just need to equip with as many attacks of the desired attribute as you can without creating any combine attacks. Not much you can do about Quadruple Edge though. Set the game on auto battle, turbo A to confirm inventory overflow and skip level ups, and run into a wall inside a quest area. I've read higher level enemies makes it quicker so I used Uttara Kulu.

When I started I was around LV160 but to help out the pitiful auto AI I recommend giving everyone Resist Ailments/+, Restore HP 10%/15%, and HP Up+. These should keep you alive although I'd still wake up to the occasional dead Fer or Rex (really I have no idea how). In the end I gained about 50 levels and got some quality time in with Etrian Odyssey II.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thx for the confirmation. After playing Star Ocean for over 300 hours, I turbo'd Edge's 30,000 kills so I would only have to grind ONE character's 30,000 kills (Arumat). That I can knock out this game in 120 hours give or take, and turbo the stupid-assed grinding stuff, makes it a winner in my book. Guess I know what my next long RPG will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried turbo mode when I had the game about 6 mos ago, there's one major snag,

You go to a quest area and tape a direction, you still run against walls and hit random fights.

When you're in a fight, you enable auto battle mode, where the computer takes over control of your characters. The only problem with auto battle is that the AI on your side fights like shit. They will use all of their SP on one enemy, overkilling him by 100x his HPs, leaving the other 10 mobs untouched that round. So you need to be in an area that's not really a big challenge for you.

Anyways, turbo A, you progress through everything just fine, computer fights for you. The only problem is when you level up with any character, you have to hit B to progress past that screen/prompt. I didn't put alot of thought into finding a way around it, so a couple theories,

A - you will have to manually hit B everytime there is a level up (so then it would be best to have similar level characters w/ similar EXP required to level up)

B - maybe you could turbo A and B? Or even try the Hori EX2 on a different speed setting for A/B. I didn't try that. Stupid of me.

Anyways if you figure it out let me know I might repurchase the game if I can avoid the 80 hour grind.