No Connection? No problem!

Dogmatictea

Just thought that I should make a thread for those not fortunate enough to have their cheevos for L4D2 autoupdated because they don't have XBL or any connection to the internet through their xbox. Mainly, my dlink DGL-4500 won't assign my xbox an IP address. It's nerve-wracking to know that other systems and objects connect with no problem and...well that was sort of off-topic, so here's the only rule I have:

ONLY POST LINKS TO THE IMAGES

other than that, we're all good. I'm not exactly completely done with the game, but I only rented it from blockbuster (the copies go fast and for long periods of time) and had to turn it back in. So here are links to my cheevs since i've turned it in.

Note: Any easy achievement that I don't have is only due to the fact that I didn't take the time to get it done. I only attempted a majority of the achievements.

Here's the links!:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/JOSH_TEDDY_BEAR/Mobile%20Uploads/1261617554.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/JOSH_TEDDY_BEAR/Mobile%20Uploads/1261617205.jpg

Finally, my avatar, since it won't update without an internet connection...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/JOSH_TEDDY_BEAR/Mobile%20Uploads/1261615377.jpg

Come on, Non-XBL-ers, show us what you have.

Why not assign your xbox and ip address yourself?

That's my dad's stuff. I mean, I know I'm young, (17) but I think i know a thing or two. whenever I ask him to assign the IP, he says "There's no option on the d-link site."

My dad's a jerk. When he set up the network, he set it up crappily in a novice manner. He changes the password every few weeks because he thinks someone is going to figure out his password. I already told him to set a static IP address, but for some reason he believes that it won't solve the problem. He said, "I have it set up a certain way so that we all can get on the network."

And that's what's driving me over the edge. When he said "certain way" I about lost it. He won't fix the problems, but if I try to fix it, he gets upset and blames me for anything that goes wrong later even if it is his fault. So I could possibly go without XBL for months! Mainly until I move out this summer and figure out another way to get online. Who knows. Maybe some others are in my situation. That's why I made the thread. Just in case there was no way for some people to show of their L4D2 cheevos. Even though they are all left 4 dead too, I didn't want them to feel left out. Because I know whenever I see a lot of the widgets with everyone's L4D2 cheevz, I feel jealous because I can't show off mine...

Your LAN IP address should be 192.168.1.XXX if you have a d-link. Just set your Xbox's IP address to 192.168.1.XXX (Pretty much any number between 1-150 should work). You won't be able to use 192.168.1.1 and there is usually a small range that it will handle (usually around 150). You can set your Xbox's IP address manually through its network settings.

Your LAN IP address should be 192.168.1.XXX if you have a d-link. Just set your Xbox's IP address to 192.168.1.XXX (Pretty much any number between 1-150 should work). You won't be able to use 192.168.1.1 and there is usually a small range that it will handle (usually around 150). You can set your Xbox's IP address manually through its network settings.

I attempted what you've said, but it hasn't been working. I'm not using an ethernet cable. I'm using the wireless adapter. No matter what random number I put in, it doesn't work (I tried this 6 times because we have 5 different things using the network and it still didn't work.) Do I need to use a subnet mask or a gateway? because those are blank as well. Basically, the Basic settings: Wireless mode says I'm connected to the router, and the main computer shows my xbox on the network map, but the xbox still shows an error between the 360 and the router. All of the basic settings and additional settings show that everything is either 0.0.0.0 or not set (except for the password, that's the only thing entered)

I'm going to try the guide now from portforward, I'll either edit or post again once I've figured it out...

EDIT: Now I have a story for all of you! Don't you hate it when you're looking forever for a certain setting and you spend days searching for what you're looking for and you believe whatever you're going to do is overly complicated? Well that's what I did today.. After hours and hours of searching, I decided to hit "reset settings to factory default" and fixed all of that mess. I am so angry at myself for not trying that earlier! Such a simple step finally got me connected...but I no longer have a gold membership...great..

Edited by Dogmatictea
problem solved.

• 3 months later...

Your router will automatically asign a range of values to anything connected to it as people have already said this will be in the 192.168.1.xxx range. I've told my router to only auto-asign values from 192.168.1.10 upwards meaning I have 9 IP adresses that I know won't get randomly assigned that I can put static addresses to. I use a router for my ethernet and one for my wireless because Skys router is shitty so I needed to have a free address for my secondary router but it would work equally well with an Xbox.

Your Dad sounds like a total douche to be honest. Saying it's set up in a way that lets everyone on would be fine were it true. Have you pointed out it lets everyone on except you?

From the sounds of it he hasn't done much setting up so just wait until he goes out, access the router and take note of any important information (PPP information especially) and set it up yourself. If it stops working hold down the reset button to restore factory defaults (ie what he seems to have it set to) and put in the conection information yourself.

edit - Just read your edit at the end of your last post so you can disregard all this but it's too long not to post.