How many discs?

Does anyone know if Skyrim will be on two discs, or will it be squeezed in to one?

Has not been announced as far as I know, but if i had to take a guess it will be on one disc. The way Elder Scrolls games play you are able to go back and forth across the map at the blink of an eye and having to switch discs would be terrible. I think Bethesda knows how to cram tons of stuff into one disc (Oblivion, Fallout, etc.)

Has not been announced as far as I know, but if i had to take a guess it will be on one disc. The way Elder Scrolls games play you are able to go back and forth across the map at the blink of an eye and having to switch discs would be terrible. I think Bethesda knows how to cram tons of stuff into one disc (Oblivion, Fallout, etc.)

Yeah and having certain sections un reachable until later in the game would be terrible. But in that recent interview they said that wont happpen, certain areas will be more difficult and that will persuade you not to go there, but nothing locked off.

Personally I kind of hope that they do 2 discs. Anyone that has played Fallout: New Vegas will understand why...Once you start cramming so much stuff onto one disc you start sacrificing things and in New Vegas it lead to ridiculously long load times and an amazing amount of glitches (of course the fact that they clearly didn't beta test NV didn't help either). To help combat this they could make the second disc purely an install disc so you don't actually ever have to switch discs while playing.

Personally I kind of hope that they do 2 discs. Anyone that has played Fallout: New Vegas will understand why...Once you start cramming so much stuff onto one disc you start sacrificing things and in New Vegas it lead to ridiculously long load times and an amazing amount of glitches (of course the fact that they clearly didn't beta test NV didn't help either). To help combat this they could make the second disc purely an install disc so you don't actually ever have to switch discs while playing.

I wish they would, but then people without hard drives can not play it. But then again everyone should have one by now

• 3 weeks later...
If it happens to be two Bethsoft would likely make it a required install. Though there pretty good at making the memory caps.

They would never do this as it would squeeze out the market of people with 4gb/20gb drives (yes i say 20gb aswell, i never had more than 2gb free after a year with my 20gb and people hate deleting and redownloading all their DLC)

They would never do this as it would squeeze out the market of people with 4gb/20gb drives (yes i say 20gb aswell, i never had more than 2gb free after a year with my 20gb and people hate deleting and redownloading all their DLC)
At the most it would be 3GBs and most gamers that would even look at this game have over 60GBs. If anything it would be an incentive for gamers to upgrade, as theres much more DLC already on the Marketplace to fill up the 250GB HDs. "oh and by the way im sure you could find a preowned 60GB for fairly cheap by now at a GameStop or some kind of specialty game store which ever it is for you"

• 1 month later...
LA Noire had 3, so I'm guessing 6 or 7 :D

If all the 7 discs were full, then it would be a game over huge, but thats not going to happen I think. They said that this game is as big as Oblivion, and Oblivion was on one disc. So it will be one disc, or two at maximum.

If it was 6 tho, I have no problem with it. I would install everything on my HD, like I am going to do anyway. People without a HD would be fucked, but its their fault. Why do they play xbox360 and they don't even have a HD? Thats so pathetic, they have enough cash for the console and games but not for a harddrive? Or are they simply to lazy..anyway its their own fault and they should deal with it.

Yeah, I even wish that Skyrim had more than one discs just for the reason that all those idiots finally get themself a HD like normal people.

ha that's funny.......but on the note of microsoft increasing disc size it's doubtful until the next xbox console comes out which then it would be blue ray if not something more advanced and yes people should have a HD by now the console has been out for quite some time now

ha that's funny.......but on the note of microsoft increasing disc size it's doubtful until the next xbox console comes out which then it would be blue ray if not something more advanced and yes people should have a HD by now the console has been out for quite some time now

Microsoft has been trying out a new disc, hopefully they can get it fined tuned by skyrim.

On the topic of installable discs I can easily see Bethesda making multiple discs in order to make a better game instead of trying to allow everyone to be able to play it. Plus a hard drive is what, 20 bucks used for a 20 GB?

The disc increase size has nothing to do with new discs or anthing like that. The way the current disc is read by the Xbox 360 allows the developers to use 7 of the 9 GBs, which is what every game to date has had to work with so far. With the most recent patch MS released, the 360 now reads the discs in a new manner which has freed up an additional 1 GB of space on the disc for developers to take advantage of. So while it's not a huge change, when you consider that they managed to keep Oblvion under 7 GBs, having an entire extra GB on top of superior compression techniques will allow Bethesda to squeeze a great deal more onto the disc than what Oblivion possessed (I don't believe Oblivion ever actually used the full DVD either. It may have only been 5 or 6 GB if I remember.)

I'm can't wait to get this game but if it has multiple discs for the 360, I'll pass. If a game does need multiple discs, why not make us install both discs on our hard drives and let us play with 1 disc like they did with Forza 3 or Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition?

People with a 4GB Xbox are screwed but who cares? Those are Kinect consoles.

The disc increase size has nothing to do with new discs or anthing like that. The way the current disc is read by the Xbox 360 allows the developers to use 7 of the 9 GBs, which is what every game to date has had to work with so far. With the most recent patch MS released, the 360 now reads the discs in a new manner which has freed up an additional 1 GB of space on the disc for developers to take advantage of. So while it's not a huge change, when you consider that they managed to keep Oblvion under 7 GBs, having an entire extra GB on top of superior compression techniques will allow Bethesda to squeeze a great deal more onto the disc than what Oblivion possessed (I don't believe Oblivion ever actually used the full DVD either. It may have only been 5 or 6 GB if I remember.)

I was referring to the test Microsoft had where they would send a new copy of Halo: Reach to a bunch of testers on a new disc type, which i would assume was a bigger disc size or a disc with faster reading capabilities, i am not entirely sure

I'm can't wait to get this game but if it has multiple discs for the 360, I'll pass. If a game does need multiple discs, why not make us install both discs on our hard drives and let us play with 1 disc like they did with Forza 3 or Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition?

People with a 4GB Xbox are screwed but who cares? Those are Kinect consoles.

Yeah, but that would take a big portion of people off the market, which is what Bethesda does not want. 4 GB consoles are not just Kinect consoles, they are just the lowest level. It does come with more adapters for Kinect, but not Kinect itself. The 250 GB HD is the same thing, just with more memory. Bethesda does not want to exclude people who bought an xbox around now and saw the Skyrim demo and thought it looked great. A lot of people buy games based of the look of it, and if there was any game to pull in a lot of people based on coolness (dragons, mammoths, giants, etc.) it would be Skyrim.

That is just my opinion, but I wish they would give us 2 discs with one installable, but I doubt it. They might do it like L.A. Noire and put the full game world on each disc and make us switch for the story, but I doubt it.

Yeah, but that would take a big portion of people off the market, which is what Bethesda does not want. 4 GB consoles are not just Kinect consoles, they are just the lowest level. It does come with more adapters for Kinect, but not Kinect itself. The 250 GB HD is the same thing, just with more memory. Bethesda does not want to exclude people who bought an xbox around now and saw the Skyrim demo and thought it looked great. A lot of people buy games based of the look of it, and if there was any game to pull in a lot of people based on coolness (dragons, mammoths, giants, etc.) it would be Skyrim.

I can understand that they don´t want to exclude a portion of the market but the people that are into games like Dragon Age, Fallout and Elder Scrolls, don´t buy 4GB consoles. Instead of trying to reach out to everyone, they need to do what´s right which is make it installable on your HD and playable on 1 disc.

I remember having to swap discs 10x while playing ME2 because I was traveling back and forth for certain mission. I´m not doing that ever again.

http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/contact_email.php

Btw, I visited the Bethesda website to ask about this topic and suggest what I thought would be best. Would it have any effect if a lot of people would do the same or do they completely ignore the community?

Edited by M1 Punk

I can understand that they don´t want to exclude a portion of the market but the people that are into games like Dragon Age, Fallout and Elder Scrolls, don´t buy 4GB consoles. Instead of trying to reach out to everyone, they need to do what´s right which is make it installable on your HD and playable on 1 disc.

I remember having to swap discs 10x while playing ME2 because I was traveling back and forth for certain mission. I´m not doing that ever again.

http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/contact_email.php

Btw, I visited the Bethesda website to ask about this topic and suggest what I thought would be best. Would it have any effect if a lot of people would do the same or do they completely ignore the community?

I agree with you, I actually want them to make installable discs, I just doubt it will happen. I think it will fit on 1 disc and it shouldn't be a problem, I just think if it went two discs they would do it L.A. Noire style, but I am very much doubting that possibility. Once again if I was a betting man this game will be on 1 disc, I haven't seen anything to the contrary.

Bethesda does not ignore the community, that is why they made Oblivion a bit easier than Morrowind (much to the horror of the hardcore Morrowind fans). I love Morrowind, I just bought it and love every minute of it, but they made Oblivion a bit easier for everyone. Whether or not that made Oblivion worse than Morrowind is an opinion. So if a bunch of people emailed them saying "Make discs required for installation, forget the 4 GB or arcade owners." I have a feeling they would ignore it.