What game beat you?

Brako Von Cruel

Hello all,

Been recently playing CoD2 these past few weeks. Really enjoyed it but eventually reached my skill point for the game. Every gamer has one with a certain game and this is my most recent, the only other two games to have beat me have been Ninja Gaiden 2 and Batman Arkham City.

I always aim for 100% in games and try to only play the best and most fun games to experience. So when a game like CoD, Batman or Ninja Gaiden beat me to my personal objective, I don't really mind.

It also gives you a good wakeup call that unless you want 100% in something you want, you're going to have to persevere with it until you're good enough to reach your goal.

This is not a 'I give up on achievements' thread. This is a thread about still loving achievements even when they're out of your reach.

So what was the game that blocked your 100% achievement completion on the game. Lets try to keep it to the games that were difficult and not because of dead servers or boring grinds. We may even be able to help each other out.

So for me it has to be CoD2

Trying to take the Nazi HQ on CoD2 Tiger mission was just too tough. I still really like the game, but for that particular section you're just too far from the next check point, and where you restart from is a lot of work to get back to where you were, only to die time and time again. And because I don't want to hate the game, I'm going to leave it alone and enjoy other games.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devil May Cry 4. I kind of knew it going in that I wasn't going to be good enough to get most of the achievements, but I was still a little disappointed in how few I managed.

PGR 3. No way I was going to get platinum on most of the races, much less all of them.

Any of the Guitar Hero games. The most deflating thing about those is I can play on expert, but there was always a song or two that was just going to be impossible to get achievements for (Raining Blood, Through the Fire and Flames, etc). The difficulty jump at the end of those is just absurd.

Honorable mention to Afro Samurai. I got stuck on one of the bosses and just never went back. I imagine that I could probably pick it back up and beat it, but it certainly made me stop playing it. I even liked that game quite a bit just was in the middle of one of the GSL's on this site and just never got around going back to it. Another honorable mention to the Armored Core games, to master them takes a huge amount of skill, but I just didn't have the dedication to continue to try and get to that point, and no way was I going to jump into the online stuff. I think I could have gotten there at one point maybe, but it would've taken more than I would've cared to spend to do so.

COD2 beat me for the longest time, but I kept going back years later and eventually completed it. Still probably my most proud 100%

I think I would say that the Mass Effect games kind of beat me

I don't really go for 100% very often but when I see those at over 90% complete I just wish I had the will to go back and complete them but I know how much time it would take and I just can't bring myself to do it

I have a few that have beaten me for the time being. I have every intention of going back one day.

1. MGS 2 Great Dane. I've collected enough dog tags after 5 playthroughs but the achievement doesn't unlock until after completing the current playthrough and I'm stuck on the sniping part on extreme difficulty.
  2. Hexic HD Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah. Fuck bombs. That is all.
  3. The Orange Box Aperture Science. Least portals? Check. Steps? Check. Time trials? 15 of 18 gold and I can't even bronze the last 3.

I have a few that have beaten me for the time being. I have every intention of going back one day.

1. MGS 2 Great Dane. I've collected enough dog tags after 5 playthroughs but the achievement doesn't unlock until after completing the current playthrough and I'm stuck on the sniping part on extreme difficulty.
  2. Hexic HD Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah. Fuck bombs. That is all.
  3. The Orange Box Aperture Science. Least portals? Check. Steps? Check. Time trials? 15 of 18 gold and I can't even bronze the last 3.

If you can do the steps challenges, you can do the time ones. Just watch some videos, practice a little, and you'll be fine.

I continue to be defeated by Geometry Wars Retro Evolved. Try as I might, I can barely crack 500k, and not yet without dying. Still, on I try.

The two that come to mind for me are Star Ocean and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Star Ocean because the requirements to 100% are just insane, with all those battle challenges. It was so ridiculous, that I found myself quite happy with the 400/1000.

As for Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, it's because of a damn glitch. The game has a very horrible glitch, where if you jump back into the game from standby, you will remain logged in and can progress in the game as normal. However, the game no longer considers your profile signed in for achievements and anything you've done will not count, either for standard unlocking, or progress towards the larger achievements. The only fix is to completely wipe your data and start again from scratch. And considering that the game takes about 200+ hours to complete...yeah...

The two that come to mind for me are Star Ocean and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Star Ocean because the requirements to 100% are just insane, with all those battle challenges. It was so ridiculous, that I found myself quite happy with the 400/1000.

As for Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, it's because of a damn glitch. The game has a very horrible glitch, where if you jump back into the game from standby, you will remain logged in and can progress in the game as normal. However, the game no longer considers your profile signed in for achievements and anything you've done will not count, either for standard unlocking, or progress towards the larger achievements. The only fix is to completely wipe your data and start again from scratch. And considering that the game takes about 200+ hours to complete...yeah...

My whole body cringed when I read that. :eek:

I would say the game that beat me is Call of Duty 2. I just can't beat it on veteran. Most of the time what ends up happening is I get super far in the mission only to freeze, forcing me to start over and PISSING ME OFF TO NO END. I wanted to throw my controller through the fucking television screen when I got to the end of one of the harder missions only for it to freeze. :uzi:

A game that legitimately beat me was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It's too damn hard for me and I'm terrible at it. Normally I'd push through it but I'm just not willing to put in the time to adapt to its combat and gameplay mechanics. :/ I might go back to it one day but I doubt it. That game just isn't really for me.

I'm much more careful about what I play nowadays, but when I first started playing my 360, I added some games that were too difficult for me to 100%.

CoD 3 (Shitty MP achievements)

Super Street Fighter IV

Halo 3 (Too many MP achievements that are too specific)

I wouldn't ever want to be careful on what games I choose to play, not in terms of difficulty at least.

Thats the problem with achievements. It can get you picky on what games you want to play due to you wanting 100% completion all the time. Thats a bad way to deal with it though, as even an achievement hunters main priority should be all about enjoying the gameplay first.

Since becoming an achievement hunter I've probably owned/played around 100+ games. I can honestly say I've truly enjoyed around 95 of those games. But I can also say I've probably only enjoyed around 40+ of those getting the full 100% achievement copmpletion.

I love that 100% completion bar, but truth is is that most games have a fairly tiresome set list to complete.

And even though CoD2 beat me, I still feel proud that I got so far in the campaign. I'm not a CoD gamer or FPS gamer by heart, so to enjoy and do as well as I did feels like its own achievement in itself.

wouldhave to be the football manager 07 on my first profile iwas one chievo away from 100% it but now the achievments am glitched and wont unlock shame cos I loved the game and just gave up playing it because of it

and cod 2 god dam its just hard on veteran its doable up until the last 2levels for me

No sooner had I admitted defeat on the Nazi HQ in CoD2, I then found a fool proof way of doing it without even getting hit once.

Posting in the CoD2 thread for others new to the game that get stuck on that part.

Its still a tough game none the less. Always seems to be the harder the mission, the crapper the weapons you start off with :D

N+. I bought it close to when it came out but the later levels are rage inducing. The game is also very sluggish. It doesn't feel smooth at all.

I went back to it about a year ago and got another achievement which was great but when I completed one of the acts that had one of the hardest levels in it (Paper Thin Walls) and when I came back on the next day the game was saying that I never did it. Looked online and found out it's a common glitch that is completely random that can happen with any act without any way to stop it. Nope'd right out of the game and won't even waste my time with it anymore.

I still want the achievements and in the case of Paper Thin Walls I can beat any level with enough practice but why spend an hour+ on a single level only to play russian roulette and hope you don't have to do it again?

Edit: Oh yeah and probably Payday 2. The achievement for getting to level 100 is a super-mega-ultra-boring grind. It's the only achievement I have left and I'm not even halfway. From memory I'm level 78 and level 86 or so is the halfway mark XP-wise. It takes 50 hours just for that achievement alone and the only way to get a good amount of XP is playing the same damn segment over and over. What sucks is that it takes about an hour just to get to the segment alone so you can't hop on the game and get some quick XP now and then.

That achievement kinda changed my stance on being a completionist (single-player achievements specifically.) I still try to get all of them but when I can spend my time playing loads of other games instead of hating the world for 50 hours on a single game alone, I'll go with the former option.

Edited by Ham Woopan

Dead Space 2, Hard to the Core.

I tried over 25 times and only made it to disk two, twice. Yes,twice. Everything from the stasis not hitting the necromorph in the beginning, to the undead babies ambushing you, to getting decapitated out of no where.

Those of you who have either attempted or read up on hard core difficulty in DS2, you know you only had 3 saves and once you used them that was it. In those 25 attempts i saved only 3 times across two separate playthroughs.

I've accepted that i don't have the patience or the level of situational awareness required to beat it on Hard core.

I tried over 25 times and only made it to disk two, twice. Yes,twice. Everything from the stasis not hitting the necromorph in the beginning, to the undead babies ambushing you, to getting decapitated out of no where.

Those of you who have either attempted or read up on hard core difficulty in DS2, you know you only had 3 saves and once you used them that was it. In those 25 attempts i saved only 3 times across two separate playthroughs.

I've accepted that i don't have the patience or the level of situational awareness required to beat it on Hard core.

That achievement made me a nervous wreck. I completely flubbed where I used my saves because I didn't have the time to sit down and play uninterrupted. I used my last save somewhere in chapter 8 or 9, I think, which made for some intense gameplay.

Remember that the 360 version has 4 saves.You get the extra save when swapping discs. I actually have the plat on PS3... My most proud platinum.

A few tips I would give for the game.

1: Use melee and stasis. I know you had trouble but this is a life and ammo saver.

2: Forget the plasma cutter. If you're nervous then aiming is going to get you killed. Instead you want the ripper which is phenomenal. Also the detonator and the gun which fires out a timed explosive.

3: When you're confident you should be saving at chapters 8, 10 and 13. You can even save at chapter 5 on the 360 just to be safe as the disc swap will give you the extra save. But the reason I used to save at chapter 8 is because you enter a flying section with grind machines. If you get the angle wrong just the slightest bit then your diced beef.

4: Watch a video guide

its all about knowing the spawn points. I thought I got good at the game butu this guy is amazing. I don't think he uses health packs lol.

Guest Scotty

That achievement made me a nervous wreck. I completely flubbed where I used my saves because I didn't have the time to sit down and play uninterrupted. I used my last save somewhere in chapter 8 or 9, I think, which made for some intense gameplay.

I managed that achievement! Trust me, if i can do it, anyone can. :p It's all psychological though, the game isn't really that much harder, it's just the idea that if you do die, you'll lose tons of progress, so your nerves get the better of you. I think i died once early on on disc 1, then made it to chapter 13 without dying just before the eye machine and made my final save there and from here, being that there was only ~ 30 mins of game left i sort of threw all my caution away and died repeatedly, probably 5 + times. But i persevered and finally managed it.

I adore that game series, but my game that i gave up on was Dead Space 3. I still need the original 3 'difficulty' related achievements and the DLC difficulty achievement. I don't have the tenacity to sit down and soldier on through difficult achievements anymore. I still don't even know how i managed Hard to the Core, but it's certainly my proudest achievement. :)

I managed that achievement! Trust me, if i can do it, anyone can. :p It's all psychological though, the game isn't really that much harder, it's just the idea that if you do die, you'll lose tons of progress, so your nerves get the better of you. I think i died once early on on disc 1, then made it to chapter 13 without dying just before the eye machine and made my final save there and from here, being that there was only ~ 30 mins of game left i sort of threw all my caution away and died repeatedly, probably 5 + times. But i persevered and finally managed it.

I adore that game series, but my game that i gave up on was Dead Space 3. I still need the original 3 'difficulty' related achievements and the DLC difficulty achievement. I don't have the tenacity to sit down and soldier on through difficult achievements anymore. I still don't even know how i managed Hard to the Core, but it's certainly my proudest achievement. :)

Whilst I did the DS2 legit, there was no way I was going to 100% DS3 legit, and I think most were the same. Instead I used the foam glove exploit, as well as the USB for backup on the PS3. To be honest though, when I had the foam glove I don't think I needed to backup a save due to how easy the glove made the game.

Soldiered on *no pun intended* and just got the 1K for CoD2 :D

F**king dreading CoD4 due to No Fighting in the War Room being a timed mission.

Gonna take CoD3 back because I only found out the other day that it has the worst kind of online achievements. Silly sods.

Guest Scotty
Whilst I did the DS2 legit, there was no way I was going to 100% DS3 legit, and I think most were the same. Instead I used the foam glove exploit, as well as the USB for backup on the PS3. To be honest though, when I had the foam glove I don't think I needed to backup a save due to how easy the glove made the game.

Soldiered on *no pun intended* and just got the 1K for CoD2 :D

F**king dreading CoD4 due to No Fighting in the War Room being a timed mission.

Gonna take CoD3 back because I only found out the other day that it has the worst kind of online achievements. Silly sods.

That was my plan all along. I think you need to do it on Hardcore to get the Foam Glove then you can do something to get the Foam Glove for the other 2 difficulties making them super easy, but i gave up on the Hardcore playthrough. I got to the part where you start to fight the dark coloured version of the enemies and after dying a few times i gave up and just never returned to it. I couldn't be arsed to do the usb trick, although if i ever return to attempt it, that's what i'll probably do.

And congrat's on COD2. A very proud completion! :)

That was my plan all along. I think you need to do it on Hardcore to get the Foam Glove then you can do something to get the Foam Glove for the other 2 difficulties making them super easy, but i gave up on the Hardcore playthrough. I got to the part where you start to fight the dark coloured version of the enemies and after dying a few times i gave up and just never returned to it. I couldn't be arsed to do the usb trick, although if i ever return to attempt it, that's what i'll probably do.

And congrat's on COD2. A very proud completion! :)

Cheers chief :D

No mate. On DS2 you had to complete it on hard to the core for the foam glove. On DS3 what you needed to do was delete the patch and DLC (if you had it) and then complete the game on classic mode. That unlocks the foam glove in hardcore and the other mode.

Then all you do is start each mode and play until you reach the first store in chapter 3. Save both games and then you can re-download the patches. From then on the game is cake.

Guest Scotty
Cheers chief :D

No mate. On DS2 you had to complete it on hard to the core for the foam glove. On DS3 what you needed to do was delete the patch and DLC (if you had it) and then complete the game on classic mode. That unlocks the foam glove in hardcore and the other mode.

Then all you do is start each mode and play until you reach the first store in chapter 3. Save both games and then you can re-download the patches. From then on the game is cake.

Ah right, i thought there was some trickery involved. :p I may yet re-attempt it. Just the simple discussion of it wets the appetite for Necromorph's!

(currently re-watching all of Spartacus, so expect words and phrases like 'Wet's the appetite' and 'Cock in Arse'', etc.) :D

I would say the GTA games, more specifically 4 and 5. The story achievements aren't so bad and I enjoy doing those (aside from the collectibles), but it's the online that I can never do. Both games are a massive grind and ridiculously repetitive, having to repeat the same generic missions over and over again, which I have no patience for. Then there's the deathmatch-style missions, which would be ok...if I was both good at MP and had friends to boost with.

An honorable mention would go to the Batman games, I suck at those and can barely make it to the end on normal, so there's no way I'm going to be able to do I Am The Knight Mode, let alone NG+. My least favorite part, though, is the challenge maps, those are just impossible. I had a go at some of the easy ones but could never do all 3 objectives, so I just gave up. Wouldn't be so bad if Rocksteady didn't add so many fucking achievements for them! :uzi: