GameStop computers have release date as 12/31/13 (2/7/13)

I went in to pay off this game yesterday and just to be safe, I asked the sales girl when the precise release date was, and she informed me that it had been pushed back to December 31, 2013. Disheartened, I put all my trade-in credit towards Tomb Raider.

For those of you who don't know why this has happened, it's because of the dismemberment of THQ, after its recent bankruptcy. Someone purchased the studio that was making South Park: The Stick of Truth and were set to publish it under a different branding. This, ofcourse, was not the set upon agreement between South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone and THQ. The duo behind the show are now suing the new owners of the development team for license infringement and if further litigation is pursued, this game may be on the shelf indefinitely.

For those of you who don't know why this has happened, it's because of the dismemberment of THQ, after its recent bankruptcy. Someone purchased the studio that was making South Park: The Stick of Truth and were set to publish it under a different branding. This, ofcourse, was not the set upon agreement between South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone and THQ. The duo behind the show are now suing the new owners of the development team for license infringement and if further litigation is pursued, this game may be on the shelf indefinitely.

Where did you read that?

December 31, 20XX is usually the date used as a placeholder when there hasn't been an official release date announced.

A girl I used to be sweet with worked at a gamestop and I can tell you that those dates are just there because there isnt a actual date yet and so gamestop can take preorders.

I wish gamestop wasnt a greedy corporation. I dont under stand why people pre order games that are not even finished. (and when it is, its a glitchfest)

Edited by Lordgold
typo

• 2 weeks later...
I went in to pay off this game yesterday and just to be safe, I asked the sales girl when the precise release date was, and she informed me that it had been pushed back to December 31, 2013. Disheartened, I put all my trade-in credit towards Tomb Raider.

Source?

So is it coming out this week or what?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A recent Gamespot article claims Ubisoft says it'll still be out this year:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/south-park-stick-of-truth-still-on-track-for-2013-6407908

South Park: Stick of Truth still on track for 2013

Gamespot, May 3, 2013 6:57AM PDT

Ubisoft confirms Obsidian Entertainment's role-playing game still scheduled to launch later this year.

South Park: The Stick of Truth will launch in 2013 as previously announced, an Ubisoft representative confirmed with Videogamer today.

No further update on how the game is progressing was provided, but the representative said South Park: The Stick of Truth is still "scheduled for release in calendar 2013."

Ubisoft purchased the game for $3.2 million in January as part of the THQ bankruptcy auction.

South Park: The Stick of Truth was supposed to launch March 5, 2013 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. If past arrangements still hold, downloadable content for the game will come first to Xbox Live.

Former publisher THQ delayed the game in November, with then-president Jason Rubin saying he believes the game has the potential to be one of 2013's biggest.

"I believe South Park's market opportunity is significant," Rubin said at the time. "It is shaping up to be one of the most anticipated titles of calendar 2013. It is also an expansive title, encompassing multiple television seasons' worth of content. THQ is committed to giving gamers no less than the rich South Park game they have been waiting for and deserve."

South Park: The Stick of Truth is one of three titles developer Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on. The studio is also building isometric role-playing game Project Eternity and a next-generation title.

Apparently Ubisoft also plan to show it off at E3.

I want this game so badly, please don't let it get canceled...

Edited by Jack Frost

A recent Gamespot article claims Ubisoft says it'll still be out this year:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/south-park-stick-of-truth-still-on-track-for-2013-6407908

Apparently Ubisoft also plan to show it off at E3.

I want this game so badly, please don't let it get canceled...

Short of Ubisoft going out of business in the next few days, it's not going to be cancelled. Too much money was put into a virtually completed game to just have it Kennied (:p), especially after the "old news" linked. Ubisoft put out a press release just the other day saying it will be at their booth at E3. In other words, expect a release date to be announced in a week and a half.

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-US/press/detail.aspx?cid=tcm:99-99189-16&ctid=tcm:95-27313-32

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...