Former Rare composer:"Microsoft ruined Rare"

lid

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Microsoft is not at fault here. All of Rare's good developers left a very long time ago, even before the merger. Conker 64 wasn't even a good game - it was a novelty that was fresh for its time.

Microsoft bought them in the hope that they would be good. They made 4 games. Kameo was a good game but it had a bad reception, PDZ was pretty bad (even for a launch title), I didn't play the other two. Part of the problem was probably the launch deadline (anyone who thinks Rare thought those games were done is an idiot, they obviously weren't - Kameo even had co-op added later via patch because it wasn't ready at launch). But really, the core of both of those games were not good and that is the problem.

Rare died long ago. As of now it's just an empty shell probably with almost no one from the old team working there. They will NEVER be good again. Honestly, they'd probably still be bad even if they had their old team. Their games are good for their time, but if any of that stuff was released today it would be horrible. Hell, most of it appeals to pre-teens.

I'm glad they're gone. They're no longer needed.

The handful of people who actually enjoy kinect don't matter.

That's a dick comment with no real substance. Microsoft aren't here to cater to all the diehards anymore. They're leading in sales, both consoles and games, and have no real need to just appeal to their hardcore audience anymore. It Nintendo knew what the fuck they were doing, they'd be begging more third-party devs to develop on their systems, instead of basing the majority of their market on their own games. Kinect was inevitable. It will probably be standard next gen, and the gen after that it may even be built-in and utilized in virtually every game. I prefer a standard controller, but the success of the Wii and the Kinect proves that there 'is' a market out there who's tired of the controller-in-hand/joystick experience. We've been playing with joysticks/controllers for 30+ years....an evolution in gaming is bound to happen, and we're witnessing the birth of that with these new technologies like motion control, 6-axis and "you are the controller"/Kinect. Back in the early 90s, we were hearing about capabilities of complete virtual reality games, where you played with your mind and your eyes were the TV. Where you would eventually feel the motions your character did, ie; pain, exhaustion, tiredness. When we stop and say "Ok, this is good enough" like a lot of us have with the controller-in-hand custom, then innovation is set back. I'm completely open to whatever the next few generations of gaming will bring us. If I have to play Halo 12 with my feet, I'll fuckin' do it!

Edited by ConfederateSuga

Yeah, a shame that there will probably never be a Banjo-Threeie unless you count Nuts and Bolts which the majority doesn't. I've been holding out for the aforementioned title for 10+ years now... Ahhh how I miss the old Rare and their awesome, awesome platformer games, my childhood was spent playing Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie.

Requiescat in pace Rareware.

Kinect Sports better than Perfect Dark, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker and Goldeneye? WHAT? The best thing of Kinect Sports is way worse than the worst thing of one of the games above. And at least, none of them was a copy of a Nintendo game (except maybe Banjo-Kazooie which is similar to Mario 64, but similar, not identical).

More opinions. And sorry, but I didn't use the word "better" at all. I said I'll take one over the other. Even back in the day I would take Doom or Medal of Honor over Rare's shooters, and every Rare platformer, though good, has paled in comparison to SM64. Nothing Nintendo itself has done since has managed to match it either IMO, so don't get salty, I don't hate Rare. I see them as not being as good as you/some feel they were, or as bad as you/some feel they are. Like I said, opinions. I want a new Blinx or Voodoo Vince as much as I want a new Conker or BK. Nostalgia isn't a factor for me (in general).

Microsoft is not at fault here. All of Rare's good developers left a very long time ago, even before the merger. Conker 64 wasn't even a good game - it was a novelty that was fresh for its time.

Microsoft bought them in the hope that they would be good. They made 4 games. Kameo was a good game but it had a bad reception, PDZ was pretty bad (even for a launch title), I didn't play the other two. Part of the problem was probably the launch deadline (anyone who thinks Rare thought those games were done is an idiot, they obviously weren't - Kameo even had co-op added later via patch because it wasn't ready at launch). But really, the core of both of those games were not good and that is the problem.

Rare died long ago. As of now it's just an empty shell probably with almost no one from the old team working there. They will NEVER be good again. Honestly, they'd probably still be bad even if they had their old team. Their games are good for their time, but if any of that stuff was released today it would be horrible. Hell, most of it appeals to pre-teens.

I'm glad they're gone. They're no longer needed.

? Not understanding what you mean by they made 4 games? You mean under Nintendos guidance? Because Rare made a ton of games...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare

Yeah, a shame that there will probably never be a Banjo-Threeie unless you count Nuts and Bolts which the majority doesn't. I've been holding out for the aforementioned title for 10+ years now... Ahhh how I miss the old Rare and their awesome, awesome platformer games, my childhood was spent playing Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie.

Requiescat in pace Rareware.

Thing is, we WOULD have seen Banjo-Threeie on the GameCube if they werent purchased by MS. Could well be upto Sixie on the WiiU

Probably the closest thing we ever got to a third banjo-kazooie was Grunty's Revenge.

And how much I would like to see a Banjo-Threeie, Microsoft would somehow have to put in a whole new element like Nuts n Bolts and mess everything up again

I've always wanted to play this game but i have never owned a handheld since the original gameboy.