My Top Ten Most Infuriating Memories of COD3 Vet.. What are yours?

edw211

Okay, so I'm on the very last level of COD3 on Veteran, and am kicking its ass pretty hard right now, having suffered through the rest of this game and resultantly boosted my FPS skills tenfold.

I'm going to take a break from the catatonic rage-inducing gayness that is the AI in COD3 and recount my top ten most angering moments of this game, in no particular order.

1. Rushing the hill on the Island.

If you didn't already know how to effectively use smoke grenades from playing COD2, this part will hammer it into you... that is, if your sanity can survive the sadistic lesson in smoke usage. I rarely used smoke in COD2, but it was here that I found out after hours of dying that it is FUCKING MANDATORY.

2. Clearing out the square in Falaise Road

Prime example of the "few and far between" checkpoint policy this game sadistically employs. You're basically expected to clear out four corners of a sizable industrial yard with no intermediate checkpoints. This part took about three hours of trial-and-error and a bottle or two of Jack to weather through.

3. The bomb-valve-crane sequence in Falaise Road

This wasn't so much infuriating because of its difficulty, although I did die a lot. What really frosted my ass was the shattering of my suspension of disbelief as I realized that my character has to literally do fucking EVERYTHING, and no one else lifts a damn finger to help. Hell, they'll sit their asses behind a wall, 10 of them or so, while I'm sniping a force of six Germans alone. I hope whoever designed the ally AI in this game gets bent with a chainsaw.

4. The furnace room in the Fuel Plant

Jesus H Christ on a crutch, this part was ridiculous. Not only can you not see shit, there are Nazis above you on catwalks that are practically invisible. I basically had to abuse auto-aim to find and kill the Kraut bastards. It didn't help that I spent about four hours trying to tackle it from the left, when it was hundreds of times easier to take it from the right. This of course was only after COD3 decided to stop being the glitchy Helen Keller of video games and let me jump over that mongoloid mine-cart that was previously insurmountable due to the laziness/incompetence of Treyarch's programmers. Fuckers.

5. The mortar battle in the Forest

You knew it was coming, admit it. But no, seriously, I found the crossing of the road to be pretty easy in the Forest if you do it properly. (By the way, I've a guide posted on this forum for anyone struggling) What really boiled my blood was the mortar battle. The least they could have fucking done was give me a checkpoint so I don't have to start all over while I get used to the Bizarro control scheme for the damn thing. I understand trying to preserve realism and all, and it was a cool idea to mimic a mortar's control scheme. But Jesus, at least give me a checkpoint before you mindfuck me with that.

6. The "Invincible Man", Guardian Angel of the Flak Guns

This was probably the single part of the game that pissed me off the most. Okay, so if you haven't tried to Vet this game yet, let me warn you about this son of a bitch. Anyone who has beaten this level or tried knows EXACTLY who the hell I'm talking about. So there's a guy in a trench guarding the second flak gun in the Laison River level. I shit you not, he is impervious to bullets. I duked it out with the jackass for about an hour before I realized I had to rush him. So, knowing full well that only Corporal Keith had character immunity, I used a more vulnerable ally as a meat-shield and ran up and melee'ed him without any problem. So my question is... what the fuck?! Why can this guy take eighty bullets to the face without flinching, and yet drops from one good smack in the face. If I wanted that shit, I'd play fucking Halo. God damn.

7. The surprise ambush in Hostage

So, after clearing a house and barn and rescuing the third and final hostage in that level, I was feeling like a real OG and was pretty much expecting the level to end. As if the Forest hadn't completely shattered any naivete I may have still harbored. Yeah no, I got sniped in the head from at least a hundred meters away by an MP-fucking-40. Yeah... Quickdraw McGraw doesn't have shit on COD3 Nazis. Maybe if they made your melee attack a swinging guitar and the accompanying "kabong" sound, it would make it more bearable. Apologies to the younger members of the audience who did not grow up with Quickdraw McGraw, and thus did not understand that reference.

8. Using the crowbar in Corridor of Death

Not much to be said except... really? was that really fucking necessary as I'm getting shot in the damn head while I'm trying to crowbar a door instead of doing the sensible thing and blowing the shit out of it with a grenade. Who the fuck uses a crowbar for that when they have grenades? Last I checked, I'm not Gordon fucking Freeman. Jesus.

9. The final part of the Mace

I've never been more excited by green fireworks in my life than when the end of this level came.

10. COD3 Veteran Play-testing

Pics or it obviously didn't happen...

YEEESSSS!!! Finally just finished the single player on Vet and got Grizzled Veteran and Won the War... ugh, now all that's left is to get the online cheevos and Close Quarters Combatant. Anyone know of a good level to get CQC?

Though, probably gonna take a break from COD3 to tackle COD4 on Vet. *cries* it's over, thank God.

this game was one of my most horrifying experiences. i agree with many of your most infuriating moments, so i will add just one for me: getting the purple heart achievement (for dying 20 times in the same stage) before reaching the first checkpoint lol. i seriously considered breaking the disc in a thousand pieces, but i already went through hell boosting for general and decided to stick with it.

i finally beat it some days later, with half of my hair pulled out in anger.

I didnt get past level two ! did not like this game one bit

It's all about the smoke, man...

Just smoke the shit out of the hill and run to the right and all the way up to the tree. Totally frustrating though.

10. COD3 Veteran Play-testing

Pics or it obviously didn't happen...

So true. I doubt the developers even had a hand at play-testing their utter garbage job they did. They had to hire the top FPS players from around the world, and obviously they would have said it was do-able.

So true. I doubt the developers even had a hand at play-testing their utter garbage job they did. They had to hire the top FPS players from around the world, and obviously they would have said it was do-able.

Oh, didn't know that.

To be fair, I did manage to muddle through it, and I am by no means an FPS god. It was more about using every ounce of patience and self-control I had to resist turning off my 360, smashing it with a sledgehammer, and chucking my controller out of my third story window, onto a road, and under a bus.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the fact that I opened a nazi box on mission two at the top of the hill.... and it killed me!^#%$ Honestly WTF! I am only on mission 3 and I am really hating this game so far. It's like they took the mechanics of CoD2 and took a big fat dump on them. This game has more glitches in the first 2 missions than any of the other games combined. At least that I have seen in single player. I mean come on a box killed me. Treyarch FTL.

Im not takin the piss but i found most of the levels pretty damn easy, the only thing that did get to me and im serious it did get to me, was the lack of checkpoints and the walls that you cover behind that are actually not there so the AI just tear you to bits.

On top of that a few other really really bad things:

Powercut on the level where your with zee french and you gotta blow up the air-guns in the trenches just as the last one was blown and it never saved and instead buggered up my save so had to start again.

And also my xbox died recently and my bro tuck it down for me and forgot to keep the damn hard drive and i was on the 2nd to last level of the campaign :uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:

But meh i forgive him, mean i can go through the hell again :D

Honestly guys i know its frustrating an all but come on have you ever actually played any other game that was so hard yet so rewarding once beating the level??? All these new games are basically walkthroughs, they're too easy, we need more games like this it'll make them last. In all honesty COD3 is my ultimate favourate game, i've had my copy since it came out ffs i love it!!

I just hate ranked multiplayer lol

At the forest. I got to the first checkpoint and had to turn in off to leave for the day. I am gonna start it up tomorrow and try and beat a few missions. This game is honestly the hardest of them all, BUT it is for totally glitched reasons. The AI chains in this game are unrelenting you can take out 8 guys and by the time you hit the 9th 6 of them are back in place ready to kill you. So many moments in this game have made me literally rethink living.

The best thing that has happened to me actually 3 times now and I have no idea how to stop it other than cry. I am behind cover, slowly sneaking out around a corner to shoot and I am immediately lit up. For some reason instead of just doing the normal 1 more hit and dead thing. The screen shakes and my character goes prone and moves quickly.....RIGHT INTO THE FUCKING LINE OF FIRE! Honestly I thought the nazi death box was bad but really.... Treyarch hates me that much that they force me to die?

Please tell me this has at least happened to someone. (maybe not the into fire bit) Has anyone actually been saved by this ungodly glitch of a failsafe?!

Yea I have to say that EVERY single one of the spots you talked about that I have passed so far have pissed me off just about enough for me to kill a baby. I am on mission 11 now about to clear the first house. I honestly cannot wait to be done with this campaign!

I Finished today :D Took me 3 bloody years lol

After mission 9 the rest are just pimps, most points in the folllowing missions your just in cover and popping up now and then to shoot some krauts and you just do this until the next objective updates :)

Now i just need 900points for major and then help with the remaining two achievements then im done :woop:

To add to the frustrations list, last mission every now and then one of your allies will run into your fire and at the very end when on the flak like gun, if they are infront of you your most likely gonna get failed for team killing again :mad:

Yeah i don't think I've ever gotten so pissed at a game before this one. I don't remember which level it was, but I got stuck at one point for 2+ hours. You had to go out a door into a graveyard i think and there were Nazi's that would shoot you even before you could see them. Man that was gay.

• 2 months later...

The hardest mission for me on Veteran was The Forest. The most frustrating moment was after your teammates kick open the first gate and you have to fight uphill to the injured engineer. It pissed me off so much because the enemy would shoot me through the rocks and trees, and there is little to no cover to begin with. It must have taken me at least a couple of hours for that part alone. The rest of the game was just cake after that.

• 3 weeks later...

5. The mortar battle in the Forest

You knew it was coming, admit it. But no, seriously, I found the crossing of the road to be pretty easy in the Forest if you do it properly. (By the way, I've a guide posted on this forum for anyone struggling) What really boiled my blood was the mortar battle. The least they could have fucking done was give me a checkpoint so I don't have to start all over while I get used to the Bizarro control scheme for the damn thing. I understand trying to preserve realism and all, and it was a cool idea to mimic a mortar's control scheme. But Jesus, at least give me a checkpoint before you mindfuck me with that.

This made me want to kill myself. Crossing the road and getting through the woods wasn't that hard. Clearing the bunker was a little harder, but then that mortar was just ridiculous. I got to the mortar on my first try, and was like, "What the hell am I supposed to do here?", and then quickly got killed as a German ran up and shot me. Repeat 50 times. Then I'd get so frutrated that I'd start going too fast, and get killed on the road or the forest.

It actually took me months to get past this part. I'd try it a few times, get fed up with it, and set the game aside for a while. I finally got past it when I found a sweet spot with the mortar that would kill all German infantry anywhere near my position.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the worst and most frustrating game I've ever played. Treyarch are such a terrible company. On top of all the glitches, there might as well be no friendly AI because all they do is get in your way, and when you teamkill them you have to go all the way back to the last checkpoint because Treyarch are idiots and can't even make a decent checkpoint system. I'm on mission 9 where you have to clear the manor house, I "cleared" it, got the new objective, a guy spawns behind me and kills me despite the game telling me I cleared it. No checkpoint obviously, since it's CoD3.

I've prepared a top 3 (in no particular order):

1. The final section of chapter 14 where you must eliminate two Nazi armored vehicles and two tanks. I was really close to throwing the controller on this one as the first parts after the checkpoint (clear the house and take out the three mortar teams) were easy but the next two were so difficult! Due to there not being a checkpoint after completing the first two, I had to keep completing this brainnumbing exercise just so I could get back to the next two objectives. Finally after being seemingly shot through the walls of the house or miscellaneous other types of death I was able to get through it. There was even one time where I blew up the final tank and was killed just after that. I was so frustrated because I finally was able to beat them and in hindsight it took me like an additional 20-30 tries before I did it again. The other major two issues I had here was the use of the guns to destroy the armoured vehicles/tanks (seriously could you have made the controls any worse Treyarch?) and the amount of times my colleagues somehow got hurt enough by me for me to fail due to friendly fire. One of the times I had a direct hit on the armored vehicle, blew it up, but somehow dominated an ally crouched behind some sandbags as well. I snapped.

2. Chapter 9 in its entirety. This level must never have been tested judging by the amount of problems I had in it. The aforementioned invincible man guarding the flak gun was a major piss off as he was immune to both shots to the face and grenades from a distance. I was finally able to kill him by rushing him and shooting him again in the face at point blank range when he came around the corner. The number two major annoyance was the fact that I continuously had the glitch happen where you lay prone and the game magically moves you from behind cover and into the line of fire. This killed me a couple of times and had me badly injured a number of other times. Terrible! Finally, towards the end of the level where you must clear first the outside of the manor and then the inside. The outside was bearable but the glitches again took over for the inside. I thought I would do something smart and snipe the people inside from the side of the manor through the window. This would have been a great concept had it not been for the invincible enemies inside. Despite breaking out all of the windows with my gun, no matter how I tried I could not hurt the enemies inside but they sure as heck could hurt me. In fact they killed me twice!

3. The hill ascent through the bunker in the forest. This one took me a good long time as well as I struggled to find the perfect path through the bunker (I unfortunately did not read the FAQs on this site before attempting). I tried flanking left, I tried flanking right but I finally determined that straight up the gut was the best way to go along with a steady diet of smoke. The neverending spawning of enemies until you move forward far enough as well as your teammates constantly dying and not helping you in anyway just added fuel to the fire. I didn't find the mortar part too, too difficult but I did somehow find a way to friendly fire a teammate once with it on my first time finally getting there. Again many curses were said.

So I finally completed veteran last night and to say that it was very satisfying to beat the game in veteran is an understatement. The satisfaction was heightened by the fact that there were so many glitches and it was so hard. In celebration I threw the disk across the room and cursed at it. I feel so much better now. I showed that game! Lol.

I just found that every mission there was one particulary infuriating checkpoint that I had to drag my ass through. Luckily, I'm in the clear with 1000gs now. Not trying to brag but I'm just glad it's over. I love this game online and have a friend who got general legit. Yes, Legit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Played thru on normal and started chasing up other achivos in prep for doing Veteran, on the very start of mission two with my face stuck against the tank Im constantly being shot thru the tank....decided there and then cod3 vet wasnt worth it.

grats to all who beat it.

currently at the 10th mission out of 14 on veteran, its easier than cod2 and world at war, the checkpoints are shocking and the crouching system can sometimes fling you about and cause you to die, apart from veteran there are no "Hard" achievements, the 40k xp one is just going to take time, i will do that in the holidays waiting for mw3

• 1 year later...

I just got to the level called The Mace. Up until this point, I have hit some frustrating parts of the game, but some of the parts that the OP is referencing I don't remember having trouble with. The only parts I have had real problems with so far have been the furnace room section and the trench part with the "invincible soldier." I consider myself to be an extrememly patient person, so maybe that skews my outlook on this. I have also beaten every other Call of Duty game on veteran before I attempted this one, so I guess I have a lot of practice. Call of Duty (1) was the hardest for me.

Edit: I just beat the game last night. The Mace had some tedious parts, but it wasn't too bad. The last mission was incredibly easy and aside from the beginning when I didn't know what to hide behind, I almost never died. I think some people are blowing this game's difficulty out of proportion.

Edited by isw42