A new X-Box User, Lot Of Questions

kabel1987

Hi, I dont know if I am doing this right.

But I have just bought an X-BOX 360, initially I was a PS guy, but slowly I am coming to terms with the X Button being on the left instead of down.... But I diagress...

I have queries regarding my X-Box, and I find this to be the best place to ask them instead of randomly typing them into google....

So I hope I dont break any rules by creating a new thread al-together and I hope that all of you would help this X-Box rookie to become a PRO...

Oh just cause I am new to X-Box, dosn't mean I am not good at games...

So if you were able to read through all of this without yawning....

just be kind enough to do the same for the next post and my 1st question...

Thanks in advance

So my 1st set of questions is simple, I have a 4GB hard disk on my X-BOX 360,

1) Can i use normal removable Hard drives to store X-box data or are there any special drives for the same

2)can I install each and every game that comes on a disc or is it only for some games.

hope i get enough replies on this...

Thanks in advance

Edited by rekikire

So my 1st set of questions is simple, I have a 4GB hard disk on my X-BOX 360,

1) Can i use normal removable Hard drives to store X-box data or are there any special drives for the same

2)can I install each and every game that comes on a disc or is it only for some games.

hope i get enough replies on this...

Thanks in advance

1)You can use an official xbox removable HDD and/or hook in a USB hard drive or flash. But the USB will only be up to 16GB. But you can use multiple USBs.

2)Yes, you can install every disc based game on the 360.

If you are looking at getting an HDD, you can either buy a slim type (I'm assuming you have a slim) or the old style and convert it. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to convert the old HDD to the slim.

Edited by Pyrochaos

1.) As previously said, you can use removable devices up to 16GB. But note, some games may show a performance drop at times. Skyrim, for example, seemed a little more sluggish on transitions due to increased time to save to a USB stick. I believe it was due to the auto-saving on fast travel, etc, in combination with the increased read/write times to the USB stick.

2.) And yes, you can install any game, but you will still need the disc in order to play the game.

Also, welcome to the community! There are plenty of amazing exclusives waiting for you. I personally recommend Alan Wake (for its amazing story; if you are into the Stephen King type of thing).

1.) As previously said, you can use removable devices up to 16GB. But note, some games may show a performance drop at times. Skyrim, for example, seemed a little more sluggish on transitions due to increased time to save to a USB stick. I believe it was due to the auto-saving on fast travel, etc, in combination with the increased read/write times to the USB stick.

2.) And yes, you can install any game, but you will still need the disc in order to play the game.

Also, welcome to the community! There are plenty of amazing exclusives waiting for you. I personally recommend Alan Wake (for its amazing story; if you are into the Stephen King type of thing).

Thanks for the info, though its quite sad to know that you would need to use the disc, I was thinking my woes with over-used discs are over...:(

And more importantly, thanks for the welcome...

And yes I do plan to buy ALAN WAKE, I loved the SILENT HILL series and from what I see, its in that kind of genre... Though I think I will buy the new one when it comes out

1)You can use an official xbox removable HDD and/or hook in a USB hard drive or flash. But the USB will only be up to 16GB. But you can use multiple USBs.

If you are looking at getting an HDD, you can either buy a slim type (I'm assuming you have a slim) or the old style and convert it. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to convert the old HDD to the slim.

okay so if i buy a normal SEAGATE HDD, will it run just like a USB, only the size would be different... cause I am going to buy a HDD soon anyway... so wanted to know if I should go for official X-BOX or standard will do

Edited by rekikire

All 360 HDD's that go and clip into the "roof" of the Xbox are MS official. You can also get Xbox related USB's but you can also use standard one's.

A 360 HDD come in my sizes, from 4GB up to 250GB and other sizes imbetween. If you're looking to install most games, you're going to have to go a little higher or mid range as they take up room after a while and your memory space will decrease fast with all the installs and saved files etc.

Installing game does not mean you can simply do that and then sell the game and play it. You'll still need the physical game to actually play the game. Installing it just makes it run smoothers and causes less noise from your 360. It's simply playing it off the HDD, instead of the Disk but information is still needed from both to actually play the game.

Anymore questions? Also, try and keep anything you ask or need into one post instead of a new one for an answer and question etc. Helps keep you away from spamming and people how might want to flame.

Welcome kabelto x360a and to Xbox in general!

I'd get a bigger HD for sure. Some games, like the first disk for Rage, is about 3.8Gb, so a bigger one would be the first thing I, personally, would get. There's an external one from MS, that's 320Gb but I don't have a clue how it hooks up. Of course, there's replacement HDs too. And installing your games on it, will help the console last longer, run cooler and just be better for it all around.

Welcome to the site. You'll find the majority of people here will be very helpful and friendly. As for Alan Wake, it is a fantastic game, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. There are also 2 dlc add ons for it, which extend the story. I got one free with my copy, so I'm not too sure on the actual price otherwise. But I would recommend the game. Any other questions, just ask.

You can't actually install any game. There are a very small number of games that don't support installation. Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper is an example of a game that you can't install.

This does not pertain specifically to any question you have asked, I just wanted to Welcome you to the Forum and to the extended XBox community. For a long time I was a PS3 exclusive user as well. I initially got an xbox just so I could play Halo with some friends, but the whole experience was so much better than Playstation. The community is better, the games are more fun for some reason...maybe achievements, heck, I don't know, and the community is awesome. I sold off my PS3 to get an xbox for my son. I hope you like it as much as I do. Good Luck, and if you haven't already, invest in the XBox Gold account.

I highly suggest you buy a replacement HDD for your xbox. Any external drive/memory device would have to use the USB ports which will slow down read/write times considerably. It sounds like you will be installing your games so you're going to need at least a 120gb drive if they're still sold but preferably a 250gb. Personally I get by fine using 50-70gb of my drive at most, but I always delete installed games when I'm done with them.

Welcome to the Xbox 360. You're in for a treat.

Thanks for the info, though its quite sad to know that you would need to use the disc, I was thinking my woes with over-used discs are over...:(

Actually, after installing the game, if the disc becomes damaged you can still play it as long as the 360 recognises it as a game. My friend scratched his copy of black ops, and it would freeze on the loading screen every time without fail, effectively rendering it useless. However, he managed to borrow another copy, install that, and then his xbox would recognise his disc and allow the game to start up, then run the install from the HDD. This is why I install every game I play, 250GB is more than enough, and the slim xboxs are prone to killing discs with laserburn or scratching them if they get knocked or moved with the disc spinning...

Oh, and some games can be installed, but work oddly, such as the XBOX LIVE arcade triple pack, which registers as installed but infact only the hub runs off of it, the 3 arcade games are technically installed but require the disc from my experience.

Welcome to the x360 community, have fun ;)