So, did the ending make you rage?(Spoilers)

Zombiedrd

And some of us was worried that the Multi-player would destroy our beloved Mass Effect Series. It turns out, it was the Single player story.

A few of the things I found hard to digest:

1. As we made that last dash towards the Beam to transport us to the Citadel, why (and HOW) did my team mates leave me and go back to the Normandy?

2. If all the Mass Relays were destroyed, then surely the same thing would happen to every system that had a relay that happened to the Alpha Relay with the Batarian Colony. Thus you save Earth, Tuchanka, Rannoch and every other system that had a Mass Relay in it would be destroyed.

Oh, there are lot more things I still can't digest, but these are just 2 of them.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some of us was worried that the Multi-player would destroy our beloved Mass Effect Series. It turns out, it was the Single player story.

1. As we made that last dash towards the Beam to transport us to the Citadel, why (and HOW) did my team mates leave me and go back to the Normandy?

2. If all the Mass Relays were destroyed, then surely the same thing would happen to every system that had a relay that happened to the Alpha Relay with the Batarian Colony. Thus you save Earth, Tuchanka, Rannoch and every other system that had a Mass Relay in it would be destroyed.

Oh, there are lot more things I still can't digest, but these are just 2 of them.

they blew up "officially"?

1. Same question I had.

2. These Mass Relays were destroyed by a controlled beam of light DESIGNED to "destroy" them without damaging planets and in order to carry out your final choice... In "The Arrival"... Well... you slammed an asteroid into the relay. I know that doesn't sound like a difference... But wowie is it. Relays can survive energy blasts (as the Mu Relay proves, it was knocked out of position by a Supernova) virtually undamaged. But slam something with a ton of mass into one... And it does NOT contain its energy well. The energy it did have was sent along the Relay Network in Mass Effect 3 to continue along and destroy the rest of them. This wouldn't blow up the planets as it was "directed energy", unlike what happens in The Arrival.

I'm european so I started the game a few days later. I completely isolated myself from game sites and fora so I wouldn't read anything about my beloved Mass Effect last masterpiece. I wanted to enjoy every moment without knowing what was coming. And did that work!

I found myself on the edge of my couch on several occasions and was absolutely awed by the galaxy's fleet coming through the mass relay. My jaw dropped and I was ready for the most epic conclusion of all time.

I don't even know where to begin but has humanity been f*cked over by the rest of the races or what? We cure the Krogan genophage, unite those suit rats and flashlights and even go out of our way to save some Elcor in a sidemission. For what?! They never show up on earth.

That damn Elcor on the citadel stands there explaining me how Elcor troops are basicly tanks which fight alongside VI and none of them care to show up? And where the hell are those Quarians and Geth when it matters?

Ok fine we'll do this ourselfs with some Asari poledancers and Krogan brutes. Never seen them after the cutscenes before the major battle. I took EDI and Liara with me to the reaper and we got blasted to shit.

Fastforward and now I find myself in... the Matrix? Wait whut? Mr. Anderson. It is your purpose like those before you? Wait whut? You knew I was coming? And taking the form of the child which has been haunting my nightmare is not only cruel but also states you see me as a fool who would/could not comprehend you in your true form? And if you have been in control all this time why give me the choice? And why 3 choices? Why not stick it to him and blow up the damn citadel and fight the reapers ourselfs.

All 3 choices are worse than "stand and fight" in my humble opinion. Set the citadel on a ramming cource for Harbinger! With your dying breath order the entire united fleet to give them hell and fight till the last free mind dimms. Saying "I love you" to your ME partner as you fly the citadel into Harbingers aimed laser.

Realy... I think I've seen better endings made up by people on this forum than made up by the storywriters of the ME team. And wtf is up with this laser blasting half the earth to sh*t including me and my squad. Which btw included EDI. She shows up in the ending scene watching the stars 2gether with Joker on a remote world. And wait whut? James as well? Wasn't he supposed to be on the frontline with hammerhead?

And what of our friend Javik? The last Prothean and not even a glimpse of his releave?

Anywho... I admit to having some watery eyes throughout the series. What a ride it was. Eventhough the ending sucks it still gets a solid 9 in my book. I would like some DLC which shows what happens with Shepard and his friends.

Sorry for the textwall. Needed to spill my guts.

Just completed the game this morning and like many others I am very disappointed and for all of the same reasons.

I know this was the end of Shepard's story and I was expecting a canon bitter-sweet ending. However I was also hoping for a complete downer ending for not doing well enough and and a happily-ever-after ending if you did everything right.

What we got...what were they thinking?

I know some people are trying to justify/make sense of it by stating Biowares intention to carry the series on, but after these endings I would think twice about investing so much time into future games for fear of getting other nonsense endings in those new games.

I really hope Bioware listens to the community and makes some DLC to clear up all of the questions everyone has.

I did the synthesis ending. Not the greatest ending, but I can live with it. I'm already doing another playthrough to check out one of the other endings.

There will be spoilers!

After thinking about it for a few hours I must say that I don't have a problem with the way things ended. My Shepard was always for the co-existance of the species. Naturally I choose the Synthesis ending. I didn't want to go along with the ending that TIM wanted. Also, since I worked so hard on finding a peaceful solution to the Geth/Quarian conflict, there was no way I was going to let the Geth die now.

For me, Joker and EDI exiting the ship on an, for us, unknown world represents that new beginning. Joker and EDI also represents the synthesis. And them being followed by my love interest, Liara, was great. I don't know if the third person that comes out changes based on the love interest or if it's always Liara (can someone who knows tell me?).

Why was Joker flying away? Well considering that we hear one of the guys (can't remember his name) basically saying that they're all dead (including Shepard since he was under that impression), he probably panicked and tried to get the crew out of there since he thought they were going to lose the battle without Shepard.

Also, about the crewmates that went with you on the final mission. When you're running towards the reaper they're not in front of you. I know they're supposed to be there since we see the squadmembers on the bottom of the screen unless I am mistaken. But did anyone actually turn around to check if they were behind you? Cause if they aren't then the HUD could be a mistake made by Bioware. Maybe they never left the shuttle, and instead flew back to the Normandy? Cause I had Liara with me and She's in my ending, so it would make more sense if they actually flew back after that drop. (I've read somewhere that they're bugged and are just standing there at the top of the hill)

They should have had some kind of epilogue for the squadmates, all of them. Not just the ME3 chars, but the characters from the whole trilogy. What happens to James, Zaeed, Jack, Kaiden/Ahsley, Tali, etc? All of this should have been answered. And also what happened with the galaxy after the battle ended (though I'm thinking we'll have to wait for ME4 for that answer.

Edited by SebbeG

I can't provide the link right now but there is a very strong theory on the BioWare forums that when Shepard and Anderson are sitting together on the floor, everything after that is in Shepards mind as he passed out.

Basically a summary was that he is indoctrinated, that's why we see him chasing that little kid. If you chose to destroy the reapers, obviously that tie is then severed which is why we see that very short bit where he wakes up and gasps for air. I would imagine the other two endings - he dies because he fails to sever the tie.

Even if the theory is true, it's still rubbish because we don't see much of a conclusion.

To me , it came out being the hardest decision I felt I've ever made in the series. But if you think about it, it all pretty much ends up the same way. And I still don't get what the hell is up with the crucible kid thing. . .

Same. I had to walk away and think about it, decided to do all three I had available to me just reloading saves but it was even hard to decide on which to do first.

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, I wouldn't say I liked it either. I'm categorizing this in the same area Battlestar Galactica's ending.

So much awesome leading in that a WTF!?!!?! ending was inevitable and left me scratching my head confuzzled. Still confuzzled.

Bioware is amazing. They delivered the most amazing, creative, meta-ending in videogames history.

When Shepard breathes, it gave us HOPE. That's what the game is about. Giving hope to people, that's what everyone talks through the entire game.

Random Planet:

If you had your romance with Liara, you may remember that she says something like: "I'd like to be in a far far planet, a hidden planet, away from all this troubles, to have peace". And that's exactly what she gets (well, not exactly with that annoying Javik in the planet too LOL). She even smiles when she exits the Normandy. Finally a beautiful far planet with peace.

There are a lot of theories of what really happend, a big one about being indoctrinated, I kind of support that one. Just look at this http://biggap.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/on-mass-effect-3s-endings-on-what-it-could-all-mean-and-why/

the people who get out of the ship are the 2 people you had with you on the final mission, has nothing to do with liaras dream of being gilligans islanded on a random planet, it's just stupid.

Actually this isn't totally right, if you pick the synthis EDI and joker get out of the normandy. I did have EDI in my mission though but my other partner, Liara, didn't get out of the normandy.

I did talk to Javik.

He says that the Protheans noticed how brutal they were in combat, so they bred them for those traits. When it became clear the Rachni were "out of hand", the Protheans wiped them all out (or thought they did as he says).

It was through that breeding that eventually lead to the Rachni being "uplifted". However, by the time the Protheans were wiped out, the Rachni weren't yet Sentient OR spacefaring. As Vigil says... The destruction of a species takes centuries.

I stated as much in my post. The Rachni weren't "sentient" by that time, and they certainly weren't "at war" with any species until much MUCH later. We later learn that the songs during the "Rachni Wars" were "soured" and the Rachni Queen even believes it's the Reapers who did it. She tells you this when you meet her envoy at Illium. She says they are preparing for war against those that Shepard fights and those that "soured the song".

Just saying.

I think you're totally misunderstanding me. You are using what I pointed out as a point against what I said. I didn't say they were at war. I said the Protheans were using them. Not as a slave race. As tools. They got out of hand, and thought they had destroyed them all. Elite m0nkey commented that we're lead to believe the Reapers indoctrinated them which made them violent. It was the Protheans that made them violent. Not the Reapers. They didn't "sour notes" 1200 years ago and cause a massive war, as the Citadel protocol doesn't mess with life until they are able to create synthetic life that would rebel (the Quarians are the only ones that accomplished that, and that was 300 years ago. Sovereign relied on indoctrination of organics to fix the Citadel's signal situation, because the Protheans had messed with the keepers so they wouldn't respond to the signal to start the purge).

I don't know why you're going on about this anyway. My initial post had nothing to do with you. You're writing walls of text that don't really support your side, since you think I'm saying something else.

Edited by Auburok

I'm fine with the choices at the end and even with the prospect of a mostly downbeat ending. I just wish the ending cinematic actually answered some questions (what was up with the Normandy, who lives and dies, what happens to other planets throughout the galaxy) instead of just abruptly stopping after a piddly 2-minute cutscene.

I'm fine with the choices at the end and even with the prospect of a mostly downbeat ending. I just wish the ending cinematic actually answered some questions (what was up with the Normandy, who lives and dies, what happens to other planets throughout the galaxy) instead of just abruptly stopping after a piddly 2-minute cutscene.

you know if they had done that maybe i would have accepted my ending, but i was so damn confused. i was walking around that glowing light for quite a while.

what if vigil (from ILLOS) just stated some random stuff like they were facts, and then said "goodbye, hurry saren is almost at the citadel." you would be like, "wait wtf i have questions.." honestly why would they twist the plot around that hardcore, and not give an explanation. or atleast an opportunity for shepard to "investigate."

the only good thing about my ending was that ashley survived, and the reapers were gone i suppose thats a victory lol. but by destroying all the mass relays and stuff it didnt seem worth it to me. also all synthetics would be destoryed as a result, geth and shepard because he was partially synthetic (i guess project lazerus?). god forbid they label which beam light is what decision, lol i was so damn confused.

god forbid they label which beam light is what decision, lol i was so damn confused.

I was exploring around the blue beam and then I got to close and fell in.So I never had time to pick a option lol ,anyone know what is the difference between the blue,green and red explosions ? as there is a lot of videos on YouTube of different people claiming which colour represents the best choice

I've got a mixed view on this ending. The info and solutions to the Reaper threat are all there, but the presentation and execution of the end is just terrible. I haven't been more disappointed by a form of recreational media in my life. SPOILERS GALORE. And it's a pretty big post...

All we needed was closure from BioWare. But here they are trying to do something that hasn't connected with anyone, hence the speculations and theories about the kid and the galaxy post-Shepard. They gave us 3 choices:

1. Destroy all synthetic life, including the Geth.

2. Control the Reapers as the Illusive Man wanted.

3. Combine synthetic and organic life.

The first two choices I saw coming (maybe just destruction of the Reapers and not Geth), but synthesis? I thought, and apparently most others have as well, that synthesis was the best option, but after thinking about it more, I think it's an unrealistic, cheating ending. Why? Well...

1. It most prominently uses the "space magic" most people have had issues with. Shepard jumping into a pit of light releases a wave, turns the Reaper's lights green and then magically everyone's a cyborg? How am I supposed to believe that? I don't believe that. It's unrealistic.

2. I feel it cheats us and it ruins the Mass Effect universe as a whole. Everyone's supposed to be happy but Shepard dies (I think. He might survive with 5000+ EMS) and no organic is the same; they're all half machine, and the fabric of the ME universe is changed. I didn't want to alter the freaking galaxy... I just wanted the Reapers gone.

The God/Catalyst kid is, to me, the worst part of the ending. What is it? Where did it come from? Why is a HUMAN CHILD the controller of the Reapers and the fate of the galaxy? Also, why is he going off of pure speculation like Mordin did with the Genophage? In ME2, Mordin said that tests always showed insane Krogan birth rates led to death and chaos and blah blah blah. Then in this game (provided Mordin survives) he ends up sacrificing himself to cure the disease he created and defended the integrity of. He realized that tests and stats and all that aren't guarantees, and here the entire galaxy is getting screwed for similar speculations by some God kid in a hoodie. Un-FREAKING-believable.

But come the end, none of it matters.

I felt that my choices heavily impacted the game's events, but none of it mattered as it was destroyed in the last 5 minutes of the game. The curing of the genophage, the unity of the Turians and Krogan, the unity of the Geth and Quarians, the uncovering of Javik... none of it matters. The galaxy is effectively ruined and everything that happened up to 2188 or whenever this game takes place is just obliterated, and not by the Reapers.

The ends are all there (excluding synthesis). I wanted a straight up ending, and Shepard's sacrifice would've been acceptable for me on more sensible grounds. The ending is unbelievable and doesn't give me the closure I wanted. It didn't have to be what I expected, and it didn't even had to be what I wanted, it just had to make sense, give closure, and not stray from what makes the ME series what it is. (I know it didn't have to, but we all would've enjoyed it more, right?)

This ending did exactly the opposite of what it should. I pray that we can get the ending we WANTED via DLC, as obviously BioWare's attempt at creating their own, complicated, original ending hasn't hit us the way they wanted it to. It's the end of the trilogy. I don't want speculation, theories, 'hope' (cause in my eyes the galaxy ends up getting screwed regardless)... I just want closure. Firm, sensible, smooth closure... Not this... whatever this is.

So I don't know anymore. Earlier I posted that I was fine with the ending, now I am no longer sure. I took a break, watched a movie, watched the endings again a few times (yes all of them). Took another break and watched again. I'm not really sure what to make of them anymore. There are interesting theories flying around the forums for sure, but they are just that. I think BioWare may have done this because they want people to speculate. Wasn't that the whole point of the Mass Effect Series? To write YOUR story. It ends how you wants it to end. You want the last part to be a dream, then it's a dream. You want it to be a sign that Shepard's indoctrinated, then so be it. At least that will be my theory until BioWare either announces a DLC that proves otherwise, or a sequel that answers some of the questions.

Oh, I forgot one thing. I might have changed my mind on wiping out the Reapers/Geth ending. Still thinking about it, cause I can't seem to decide. But to me it seems that most troops that are fighting the reapers, and most of the fleet will be gone at that point in the game. So I don't think there are enough Geth to actually care anymore. That goes against what my Shepard stands for of course. Then again, he knows throughout the whole game that there will be casualties in this war, it is inevitable. It's so hard deciding! So maybe that was the point. Victory can not be achieved without casualties.

Also, if it is as some state in some threads, that he is in fact indoctrinated at the end of the game, then it would make sense that the Renegade ending is really the Paragon ending, as someone stated somewhere (don't remember where but I think it was on the BioWare forums). The reapers are trying to trick me.

Maybe BioWare that was indoctrinated by the reapers and forced into making these endings? ^^

Edited by SebbeG

At first I was seriously let down by the ending.. I didn't mind the choices you had to make, but it was the broken plot holes that raged me.. Why was the Normandy going through the relay? Did I miss something that said the whole squad survived the fight and was going to just jump on the Normandy and go somewhere?

I also didn't like the old man and the kid scene at all.. it made it feel like it was just a giant fairy tale, not real whatsoever.. I'm trying to love the ending because it wasn't that terrible, but those 2 things are making it near impossible for me to like! Anyone agree with that feeling? Hard to think Shep's story is literally over now haha..

Im just getting to the point that I think when I play in the future Ill turn the game off right after Shepard and Anderson's conversation and run with my own made up version of what happens after that. The ending is just too nonsensical for me to embrace. Its an ending filled with plot holes and intentional non-conclusions that forces you into a future game to see what happens in the aftermath of your decision. I refuse to embrace that.

The whole gimmick of this game was the whole galactic readiness thing. The more you do (with or without multiplayer), the better your ending is. Having spent 30 hours doing EVERY side mission, N7 mission, earning 7000 military forces, then raising my effective military score to 100% through multiplayer. I feel like I deserve a better fucking ending than God-child's flawed logic, Shepard dead regardless, and plot-holes galore with Stargazer cutscene.

I want my perfect ending where Shepard lives happily ever after with his/her L.I. and some fucking closure about what the rest of my squad did after I destroyed the Reapers.

Pretty simple BioWare, give me and a large portion of your fan-base what it wants or find yourself some new fans.

/rant

I'll be honest, I haven't read the whole thread but there is an interesting discussion on the Bioware forums that suggests maybe they are playing the long game. It may well be desperation and gullibility but to me it gives me hope that this isn't it.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-Story-and-Campaign-Discussion-Spoilers-Allowed/Was-the-ending-a-hallucination-9727423-1.html

This may not be what is happening and it might make no sense to some people, but if this is what's planned then Bioware may well be the most gutsy developer ever...

In relation to said discussion someone on another thread in the same forums mentioned that they hacked open the game code and discovered that the game has a 9GB install on a PC, but is 16GB worth of files. Maybe it's the ending that's being held off on for now. That can't just be voice files, surely?

Why do people think that what the hologram kid said didn't make sense? Javik's reaction to Legion sort of did convince me that synthetics and organics couldn't realistically coexist, and that organics are the ones that would be surpassed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-BBeC5KFo]Javik's thought's on Legion[/ame]

After this conversation, it did sort of make sense that organic life would ultimately be destroyed by synthetic life. Maybe not in a decade, or a century, of even 1,000 years, but eventually, one way or the other, there will be problems, and realistically, organics will be on the losing side of the battle.

The threat he claims to be trying to stop is a real one, his solution is just one that no one could accept, since it's goddamned monstrous. He tries to remedy this by storing the harvested civilizations in new machines, and despite our repulsion at the idea, it's a mercy, relative to complete annihilation.

Also, galactic civilization isn't over. You can outrun the Reapers by making an FTL jump between stars, and it took them less than a year to get from one destroyed relay to the next closest one. Any of the endings offers some indirect access to Reaper technology, and it's unlikely that the mass relay system wouldn't be replaced within a few decades, considering that many FTL communications didn't rely on the mass relays (specifically the quantum entanglement shit) and people could be working on creating new ones on both ends, and where that wasn't possible, more conventional means of travel (within the ME universe, at least) would be available to access certain areas.

It would take time, and with the citadel gone, even after rebuilding, the galaxy would be much different, but it still isn't over the way a lot of people seem to be saying it is.