Favorite game on the orange box

The Orange Box was my first 360 game (I've had my 360 for about 14 months) and I just got back to playing it again. I only need to complete all 3 Half Life games to 100%.

My favorite is Portal by far, it's a fun puzzle game with a great story. Team Fortress 2 is fun too, but just isn't my thing for MP. Half Life is okay, I'm just playing through with invincibility because it's more fun to me that way, I don't like it enough to challenge myself that much.

The Orange Box was my first 360 game (I've had my 360 for about 14 months) and I just got back to playing it again. I only need to complete all 3 Half Life games to 100%.

My favorite is Portal by far, it's a fun puzzle game with a great story. Team Fortress 2 is fun too, but just isn't my thing for MP. Half Life is okay, I'm just playing through with invincibility because it's more fun to me that way, I don't like it enough to challenge myself that much.

yeah I love just killing those Combine not being able to die

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Easily TF2.

Half Life 2 was disappointingly dull. The opening sequence was the best part for me, but in truth after Freeman got his crowbar, everything else was just not interesting. None of the sequences really excited me and none of them were really memorable. The graphics didn't help this. I know Valve don't much prioritize graphics when developing their games, and this is hardly something I can criticize them for, but the graphics in Half Life 2 are dull, there's no theme to them and they just make everything seem dull and uninteresting. It doesn't look dark or edgy, it just seemed 'meh'. The only area of the game that had any appeal to me physically was Ravenholm and even then it was just another generic dark post-apocalyptic area. But, at least it had a theme. It certainly wasn't a bad game, but it really wasn't impressive. Even the story wasn't that original! Just an alien take-over, resistance rising up against it...meh! You know, this game was average in my opinion, it really was. There was nothing groundbreaking or original about it, and the only two things I really thought defined it were the HeadCrab creatures and the way the rocket launcher could be guided. That's it. There's a difference between 'dark' and 'boring'.

As for Episode 1...short, yes but, big step up. There were a lot more interesting sequences that were fast paced and really lively, very entertaining and managed to get a reaction out of me. I could respect everything about this game, a little bit more in episode 1.

Episode 2. Oh. my. god. Episode 2 was kick-ass. You know what an issue I had with Half life 2 was? Think about the music in half life 2. I know what you're saying 'what music?' The music in Half Life 2 and Episode 1 was very forgettable. Other than Triage at dawn, but that only plays for all of 20 seconds...due to something happening in the game that's not crucial to plot. Uhm...bad use of a surprisingly good piece of music?

But NOT in Episode 2! Granted their were only 2 sequences where the music actually stood out to me, but these two sequences were a cut above some of the best action sequences I've seen in games, and the music tracks themselves actually contributed to that as they were very lively, chaotic entertaining pieces-that really suited the scenes they were in. Vortal Combat and Last Legs are Kick-ass music tracks. And, if that didn't hint at the fact that Episode 2 had a much better use of action sequences-well it did, and the rest of the areas in the games have actual themes, and aren't just dull, generic, uninteresting buildings like they are in Half Life 2. And of course there's the infamous ending, which in itself leaves you with a memory of the Half Life franchise...

But, all together Half Life 2-Episode 1 and Episode 2 should all be counted as one game. So, all together the series was 'Just a cut above average.' For the first half of the game, it really wasn't interesting and you didn't care for what was going on, or for what you were doing, the first half all felt the same, all the way through out and was just plain boring. The following quarter seemed as though they put a bit more thought into the events that occurred, showing some very urgent interest grabbing scenes. The final quarter of the game is amazing, very fun, interesting, there's a real sense of urgency giving the player a greater drive to keep going, and it's just so much fun.

Portal, was ok. I know gameplay's important, and the gameplay too Portal was very rewarding and enjoyable-but I just want a bit more substance story-wise. To be honest the story in the Portal series is never well explained. But in Portal 1, there is no story. Portal 1 felt like a Beta for the upcoming, much better game that developed on everything. In Portal 2, Gameplay wasn't changed, but instead things were added to it which devleoped the gameplay, without taking away from it. The story was more substantial and entertaining, and they put some real effort in to the visuals. After having played Portal 2, I really was surprised that it followed up from such a passable game.

So, for me the order goes: First goes Half Life 2 Episode 2, second comes Episode 1, then Portal, and then Half Life 2.

But, even though this game had no story, for me, TF2 beats them all!

The thing with this game is, there was so much effective effort put into it to make this all around, a very fun, memorable, and VERY re-playable game. There's never a situation you can't get yourself out of due to being able to switch classes in game, and there's always a class that can take care of another. This is good because the community in this game, is mostly terrible! It's a common tactic I've seen to trap the enemy team in a spawn spot. I know it's good tactics, but you yourself, I hope know that you're doing a bad thing! The game modes are basic, but the classes make it a lot more complex and entertaining. You can't just run in gun's'a'blazin', you're gonna have to put in some real thought and effort if you're gonna get anywhere. Otherwise you will go places! All over the floor. But even then for the first time you can enjoy yourself as the game points to the multiple pieces of blown apart body pieces to tell you where you are. 'A piece of your foot'. Even small, forgettable things like that just show how much effort the developers put into this. This game deserves it's fan base and is very fun!

Edited by INTY

I loved the whole shebang, the only one I don't play is TF2. Just not a big MP guy but it was fun the few times I dipped in. I've passed along my copy of Orange Box and have gotten several friends addicted to Half Life 2 and Portal now as well. Was easy getting them addicted to Valve games after introducing them to Left 4 Dead.

I have to go with Episode 2 above all. It just completely drove me over the edge with what it did with the story and the final battle to me was easily the most frantically insane ending fights ever.

And just to keep us drooling for Episode 3 / Half Life 3:

• 3 weeks later...

At first I thought Portal was meh. Pretty average and I didn't understand why everyone loved the plot. But by the end I loved it and immediately bought Portal 2. Half Life 2 and Episode 2 are probably my favorite though. Half Life 2 really blew me away with how life like and immersive the game world was and Episode 2 was even better.

I got the Orange Box for the PS3 though and I didn't like TF2 but I've heard TF2 is a lot better on the 360 and PC.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Half-Life 2 definitely! Hey what can I say i'm a Half-Life nerd at heart! Not even the greatness of Team Fortress 2 or Portal can overcome my love for Half-Life! Episode Two had a pretty amazing story that really was a step up from past installments though, its so hard to choose between so many great games!

• 3 weeks later...