Firewalker DLC - Opinions

Keynwar

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a cool DLC, even though I haven't finished it, plus it's free, so we can't really ask for much :p

Off Topic: Can someone tell me if I can change my difficulty from Insanity to Normal just to beat this DLC (without exploding so much)? I mean, if I change the difficulty will it affect any future DLC Achievements? I already got the 1015G on this game.

I really am having a hard time trying to understand what you people are complaining about. I only played the first 'tutorial' mission because honestly I didn't know bout the other parts until I read this post. At first, I thought the OP was being sarcastic. But, from what I can tell, this DLC served it's purpose of introducing a vehicle which I'm sure will be in more DLC and more than likely be put into Mass Effect 3.

If this was paid DLC, I would probably be up there with you guys saying 'Blah, it's crap.' but you know what. I'll take what I can get and make the best out of it. Like one of the posters above said, "Just get your money back."...

Seriously, you guys are never pleased with anything and it's one of the few problems I have with the industry at this moment...

Seems like a good introduction to later DLC/ME3 like he said but as a pack it's just...slightly overwhelming, the volcano mission was last, generation was 2nd to last and freezy engine was last but it had a very anticlimactic feeling to it, it's like "ok, no more missions, thank you for playing"

It was enjoyable and I must say I'm excited to see some regular free content coming out for this game. Most other developers wouldn't even bother or would no doubt charge at least 400 points just for that stupid appearance pack. Be thankful people!

:gsicon:

I'm having a blast jumping up in the air and raining hell down on the geth! This vehicle would have made driving around the planets in Mass Effect 1 far more enjoyable. I certainly hope they bring back the planet exploration from Mass Effect 1 and include the Hammerhead for ME3.

Helped me get my Shepard to Level 30 in this game, considering it was able to get me from 28 to 29 before I decided to scan other plants to find anomalies. Considering that it is free, I thought it was worth the time and space. I love the new ship as well seeing as how it handles better than the Mako, and this is coming from someone that loved the Mako in the first game.

Man. Firewalker...

I cannot believe how boring and lifeless this DLC was.

All you hear is your monotoned VI analyzing information, your crew mates chime in with a "Lets go" or a "We got it" and you hear like 2 lines from a scientist.

3 of the missions involve no fighting.

1 of the missions involve combat against things killed easier on foot.

And the combat mission involves repetitively fighting enemies that you've already faced on foot.

Combine that with the fact that this INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLE is WEAKER in HP than Shepard!

Even the special effects were weak, during that escape from the lab the explosions looked fake, the shaking wasn't very intimidating. Even when the Hammerhead is destroyed it looks like a cheap puff of fire.

The already exisiting side quests are more fascinating and better designed than this DLC. I felt much better downloading those Dr. Pepper add-ons and other equipment.

Firewalker, you could skip downloading it and it'd probably make your gameplay better.

Oh come on! Its free, ya didn't pay for it; ya didn't even have to punch in some stupid bottle cap codes..why are you whining so much about this? With the time it took to write these posts you could have deleted it from your hard drive already.

Edited by judogrrl

I liked the DLC a lot. The Hammerhead was a fun vehicle and I enjoyed the missions as well.

No complains here, totally fine with the lack of achievements either, then I can just play without having to concentrate on getting them.

Either way it's nice we've been given so much ME2 stuff. I mean, in RE5's case we had to wait nearly a year. Versus was already on the disc and I didn't like it so that doesn't count. >>

I think we're lucky with all this DLC. Really looking forward to the Kasumi mission we'll get at the 6th of April.

I don't get the people complaining about other people's complaints.

Firstly, constructive criticism isn't quite the same thing as complaining. Do you think that Mass Effect 2 would have been as good as it was if people hadn't said what they didn't like about the first game? I'm gonna go ahead and say that I bet the Mass Effect team find forums a useful resource in collecting feedback.

Secondly, why does something being free make it above criticism? It still is something that people may want to know if it is worth their time, bandwidth, HD space.

The title of this post is 'Firewalker DLC - Opinions'. God forbid people post their opinions on it! Mass Effect 2 is probably my favourite ever game; I don't see why saying that some free DLC is only average, and stating why I feel that way makes me some kind of jerk.

If you still feel raw about it, send me a message, and I'll give you a full refund for the price you paid to read my opinions (now I'm being a jerk, see the difference!).

They are two completely different forms of DLC with two different purposes. The Firewalker was to re-introduce a vehicle to the world of Mass Effect, and give you some side missions to toy around in it, I think it did exactly what it was meant to do. Furthermore, I have a feeling that there will be more DLC missions that use the hammerhead in the future. Therefore, this DLC is a good piece that is well worth the download time to get.

I agree, I think that this DLC was meant to introduce the Firewalker into the game and to get us used to it. I think that more DLC is on the way using the Firewalker and this time I hope they bring in the voice actors for some dialogue!

It was kinda repetitive but I think they were using this as a Pilot to see if this would work in ME3. It was pretty repetitive and the lack of dialogue was annoying but they not exactly going to ask like 10 voice actors to fly half way around the world to record 5 lines.

On the plus side it was a fun vehichle to use and the aesthetics of those planets were amazing, every single one of them looked amazing.

If I had paid I would have been disappointed but seeing as I got it for free it's worth downloading just to see the enviroments they've created.

Kind of repetitive is an understatement.

3 of the missions involved collecting things on a path.

1 of the missions featured a whole 1 type of enemy that could have just as easily been defeated by Shepard on foot.

And the geth infiltration mission is all done by sniping enemies with missiles out of their firing range.

And the landscapes?

2 of them were volcano worlds with no special effects worth mentioning.

1 of them was an environment that looks essentially like Luna.

The ice world wasn't as bad but it was just a straight line.

The Geth area used the same exact building skins as terrain that Prof Okeer's area used.

And the Firewalker itself?

It moves, it jumps, it has a single weapon and its' armor is less resistant than Shepard's own suit.

Yeah sure it's free, it's free crap. I get a lot of free crap that just takes up space in my garage, that's what Firewalker is, free crap that takes up hard drive space.

There are 5 Missions in this DLC-Pack and only there you can use the Firewalker. The first one is a training mission, youre just driving and flying through a planet, getting checkpoints.

Not trying to sound like a d!ck but, the hover tank is called "Hammerhead". "Firewalker" is the name of the DLC pack.

I found the Firewalker DLC quite fun, I really liked the platform elements they added and flying the Hammerhead was a blast. Best part was trying to knock the geth into the lava especially the big walker ones! :D

Sure the missions were only 10-15 mins long and fairly similar but I enjoyed them nonetheless. Some people seem to be going in with high expectations despite this being free. Admittedly if they were to put a price on it I don't think they could get away with charging any more than 240 Microsoft points (with achievements), but it was not bad for some free DLC.

Keep up the good work Bioware, I am looking forward to the Kasumi PDLC.

I would rather prefer nothing, to the crap these missions were. They can add a new super huge story to DA and give this crap to ME2?

I no longer see a reason to keep this game. Time for battlefield 2.

You, Sir, are an idiot. : )

This was FREE DLC, get it? FREE!

Awakening cost somewhere around 3200MP which is helluva lot for DLC. Just be patient and wait for the inevitable expansion DLC. : )

You, Sir, are an idiot. : )

This was FREE DLC, get it? FREE!

Awakening cost somewhere around 3200MP which is helluva lot for DLC. Just be patient and wait for the inevitable expansion DLC. : )

THIS DOWNLOAD WAS NOT FREE! I wish people would realise this. You had to buy the game didn't you? If you didn't buy the game you wouldn't be able to play this.

So 1) You had to buy a copy of the game to get this - Not free

Secondly, it's tied to the Cerebrus Network code. This comes "free" with a new purchase of the game. If you buy this game second hand chances are the original owner will have used this code.

If you want to play these missions you will have to PAY for the Cerebrus Network 1200MP - NOT FREE.

Also, you have to ask yourself. This game has been out maybe a month and a half? All the DLC so far was being worked on BEFORE the game was released, and was intended to be "free" with the purchase of the game. In other words they could have waited a month to release the game and just put it on the disk (OK, I know time of production changes and there's 2 month gap between completing development and release and DLC doesn't have this).

My point is this, the whole "free" DLC is a con, a sham, a gimmick. I don't look at it as "Hey, I got a full game and now I'm getting free stuff added on!".... No, what I see is "Hey, I bought 90% of a game, and I had to pay full-price to get the other 10%".

The whole purpose is to reduce second-hand sales, or at least re-coup some of it but forcing 2nd hand purchases to payn 1200mp to get the FULL game.

Fortunately, like most DLC, it's crap. And DLC is nearly always crap because if it was ANY good, they'd make damn sure it was in the game.

The tank handles more woolly than the mako, fun? average. Plus, the missions are fairly short and repetitive with no added dialogue, achievements, purpose or incentive. I completely discount the combat. You have homing missiles but they couldn't be bother putting proper aiming into it. Also the level designs were plain or terrible. The one where you actually fight geth looked great but it was linear and you could just hang-back and shoot everything from afar where it can't shoot you. Hardly brilliant game design.

I say "fortunately" its crap because I'll be lending it to my mate and I can tell him "Don't bother spending the 1200mp, the "free" stuff you'd have to pay for is pointless. Zaeed's mission mildly ok. The armour, shotgun, arc projector, etc. I didn't bother using any of it in the end.

It's a big fat Fail from me Bioware and your "Free" content.