M Xbox just got the three red rings

jnelson109

Hi guys, sorry if this is a common topic on here but I checked the general FAQ and didnt' see the answers to my specific question on this topic.

I bought my Xbox 360 in October 2007 and today had the three red rings for the first time ever, and as far as I know my three year warranty has expired. My first question is if I sent it to Microsoft to get a refurbished Xbox back, how much would they charge me since my Xbox is more than three years old.

While not ideal, I don't really have any issue with buying a new Xbox 360 slim, since my old 20 GB harddrive was getting pretty annoying anyway since I buy a fair amount of stuff off the marketplace. What I'm more concerned about is all of my saved games that are currently on my hard drive. If I bought a new Xbox with say a 120 GB hard drive, how would I go about getting my old files onto this new hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

First off my condolences on your loss :(

You should be able to transfer all of your saved game content by transfering your profile to the new Xbox. There is a link on this website that shows you how. I can't rember where though, I think in either the FAQ or Tech section. Alternatively, you can also go on xbox.com and find the info there as well.

Hi guys, sorry if this is a common topic on here but I checked the general FAQ and didnt' see the answers to my specific question on this topic.

I bought my Xbox 360 in October 2007 and today had the three red rings for the first time ever, and as far as I know my three year warranty has expired. My first question is if I sent it to Microsoft to get a refurbished Xbox back, how much would they charge me since my Xbox is more than three years old.

While not ideal, I don't really have any issue with buying a new Xbox 360 slim, since my old 20 GB harddrive was getting pretty annoying anyway since I buy a fair amount of stuff off the marketplace. What I'm more concerned about is all of my saved games that are currently on my hard drive. If I bought a new Xbox with say a 120 GB hard drive, how would I go about getting my old files onto this new hard drive?

Thanks for the help.

$99.99 USD to repair. Not sure about Canada, just check out support.xbox.com and it should tell you the price there. Plus they give you a 1 month XBL subscription card when they send your Xbox back. :)

If you buy a new hard drive get a transfer cable as well and you can transfer all your old content to the new hard drive.

That is unfortunate. The Warranty for Red Rings is 3 years, which looks like it just expired for you.

You will want a transfer cable, particularly if you are getting a new Slim. he old hard drives are not compatable with the new slims, so that would be the only way to transfer saves to a slim. Transfer cable also prevents you having to do what I did and spending 36 or so hours redownloading everything.

If you are just going for a new old style 360, you can just pop the hard drive in the new console if you want.

Also keep in mind that not every game will transfer over with a transfer kit. Games like Dead Or Alive: Xtreme 2 and Hexic HD will not transfer over (I'm not sure how many more, but these ones I know for a fact won't). I've also heard from friends that when they transferred saves over, that some saves became corrupted, or lost completely. Then there's also the chance that you bought a game or DLC that's not on the Marketplace anymore, and I believe you lose those as well when transferring everything (I'm not entirely sure on this though).

I'd say your best bet would be to buy an Arcade console and put your old harddrive onto it. Arcade consoles usually cost about 100-150 bucks these days. Then just do a license transfer on xbox.com and that way you'll still have all your saves and whatnot :).

I do have a USB stick, but how I am supposed to get the data from my hard drive to the USB if my system won't turn on due to the RROD?

The towel trick (google it for more details) might give you enough red ring free time to get the save files off your hard drive. Couldn't hurt. Or, you could go to the home of a friend and pop your hard drive in for a few minutes to get the save files. There are a few options open to you (some cheap, others not).