Stupid deaths on Hard Core

alex1407

LMFAO I fucking love this thread! Like most of you I died in the lamest spots due to the TENSION! Shit that I never had a problem with like the spinning laser room in ch. 13! I had my last save on ch. 11, made it to that laser room just to die, made it there again just to miss the last doorway and FRIED! When I did make it past the third time, I was feeling damn confident...then the eye poking machine, pulled that off no problem. I felt the hardest part was over due the one-hit kill scenes. I was WRONG...the last zero-G area with the slamming doors and lasers got me. Those damn flying red bombs blew me into the lasers!!! I was pretty angry but kept my cool until it happened a second time...I just about threw my xbox out the window!

So long story short I restarted on my 2nd save on Ch. 8, made it to ch. 13 right before the spinning lasers, used my last save and pulled it first try. It really is the tension that kills you, the thought lingering in your head

"DONT DIE DONT DIE, your gonna lose hours of progress!"==EPIC DEATH

So heres to those that are HARD TO THE CORE:drunk:drunk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My absolute fkng worst one wasn't even a death. I was on the cryochambers near chapter 5 and decided not to save. Out of nowhere, I get a "Disconnected from XBOX Live" message. Who cares right? Well me of course, being the retard that I am. I click "Sign in", and although I'm signed right back in, Dead Space 2 thinks I'm someone else. It popped up a nice little message for me, something along the lines of: "Profile has been changed. Returning you to the title screen now." I just sat there stunned for a few seconds looking for a way out of it, but nope, I couldn't continue. I decided at that point that I'd just save at chapter 5 and not rely too much on the disc swap checkpoint.

As for actual deaths.. I had 2 major ones. I was right in front of the disc swap elevator, the last monster there is one of those fat things attached to the wall that spew out the single tentacle lurkers. I had full health and tons of ammo and was doing great. I don't know what the hell happened but some projectile hit me and one shot me, like an explosion. I slammed my fists so hard and got so frustrated at that point.

Another one was right before my second planned save on chapter 10, almost like I'm jinxing myself. This one was really lame too. In the tripod room where you have to throw canisters into an object to make it overheat while tripods come at you. I threw all the canisters, then ran to an elevator, but it was the wrong one - the small cargo lift you start the room in. No panic, I turn around and head for the other one, but there's a tripod blocking me. I try to force gun him but it doesn't blow him back. I started panicking and after 3 health packs in that one spot I still couldn't move and died.

Mixed feelings on the mode. Most of my deaths are with me at full health, the insta-gib kind. While I enjoy a challenge, setting me back 2 hours because I happened to miss a single shot isn't really my idea of a good achievement. I completed zealot on my first run, and that was much more of a challenge. I died dozens if not hundreds of times, but it was an actual challenge. This.. meh, it feels more like a time sink than anything else.

I'm on chapter 10 now and used my second save, mainly because the 2 brutes on the Ishimura are responsible for over 20 deaths on my Zealot run, and I didn't want to risk getting one shot again.

My main frustration: Dialogue and Cutscenes. The story and voice acting are great, but not if you hear the same thing 15 times. Wish you could skip the cutscenes.

After having just come off finishing Dead Space on Impossible, I went to DS2 Hard Core. Suffice to say, "Damn you, muscle memory!"

Chapter 1, folks. Right after I pulled out the stasis module, I pressed RT+X to use it on the Slasher. Nothing happened except Isaac's head flying from his body when the Slasher did its thing. I should have seen this coming; I tried RT+A to reload earlier.

No anger, just embarrassment. Then I saw the "EA presents" logo after restarting and decided to put in Rock Band 2.

Don't know which pack has which but I have all 3. It definitly helps to have the suit with 15% on health packs and you get +15 inventory slots. Also the upgraded +10 fire damage weapons from the dlc help a bit if you are really trying to penny pinch on the game. I don't think you need them to beat hardcore though. Hardcore is different than every other playthrough because you die in the most random spots most of which you never die on in the other difficulties. I have died 5 seperate times now trying to make it without saving to 2nd disc.

1. Necro attacked me from behind before I got my suit from the store and it killed me in one hit when I had full health.

2. The exploder necros that carry the big ball got a little to close on chapter 4 in a room full of enemies and it killed me when I had full health in one hit. :(

3. After the train part where you hang upside down I've never died there but was focused on shooting a particular necro and he wasn't going down and once again an exploding necro with the ball killed me in one hit but he was pretty close and I didn't see him til it was too late and you can't get away so I was screwed.

4. The zero g part at the start of chapter 5 I thought I was gonna finally make it to the 2nd disc and got killed when you gotta go through the round door, lol. Tried to stasis it and as soon as I could fly through I did so using the thruster and still got cut in half when the door closed. gggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wtf.

5. I got distracted by my gf in a hallway on chapter 3 I think and the crawler enemies with the tail melee attacked me and killed me in 2 hits. No attempts since, lol.

I'm doing my second runthrough on casual just to get the achievements, but i noticed the new "feature" as well. Some damn necromorph just killed me while i was in the store buying new suits. The irony! But as i recall, this couldn't happen in DS1. shops and saving stations were "protected". I haven't been attacked yet while saving. Do you know if it is "safe" or could Isaac get grabbed while trying to save?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The first major death came at the hands of the pack in Chapter 3. Having not played the game in over a year, it was one of the few areas I forgot about.

The second, and possibly stupidest death in the history of gaming, was in Chapter 5 where you create the zero-g environment, and must stasis the opening of the ceiling to make it through after one of the coffins releases. I died in this spot during my regular playthroughs, so I knew to be careful. What do I decide to do? I shoot my stasis, hesitate, then try to sprint through and get my head chopped off. A pretty much flawless playthrough ended on that. Don't know how I didn't shatter my controller afterwards. I played so methodically and patiently up until that point. I'm still speechless :(

(FYI, I shot the stasis through the hole instead of hitting the side of the opening. Ugh)

my power went out after about three hours of unsaved progress. another time i was right before the disc change at the guardian and i thought i owned him and exposed myself only for him to spit out some last resort toxic sac that insta killed me. that hurt the most. i was so pissed that next attempt i just ran through it no glitching and i was fine. i killed myself detonator glitching as well after 2-3 hours of progress. the price of getting bored

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 9 flying debris crap, 3 playthroughs and I hit it this time.

Chapter 9 I think in the computer core room 2. I used stasis on the black slasher and missed with half health- cursed heavily..

Chapter 13 red laser room, luckily I had just saved..

Fully upgraded rig,stasis,plasma cutter and force gun..

This one definitely goes into my top 10 proudest cheevos..

What is the difficulty in Hardcore regarding enemies? Are they Casual, Normal, other or it has its own? Thanks.

According to the Dead Space wiki, enemies are around Survivalist difficulty in terms of durability and damage output.

Aside from the several instant-deaths that happened to me on my Hardcore run, I thought enemies were relatively easy to kill.

I'm on my last run so I'm going to post my deaths so far in order.

1st Save Deaths (Chapter 5 before tentacle grabs you):

- Right as the game starts I took a wrong turn while running and died immediately.

- After getting kinesis in Chapter 1 I just wasn't on my game and died on the room with 3 necros.

- End of Chapter 2 with the Brute and train.

Between Chapter 5 & Disc Swap Deaths:

- After the betrayal is revealed and you spam A and fall down, the Brute killed me.

Between Disc Swap and 2nd Save (End of Chapter 9 before nest fight):

- In the decompression room in Chapter 9. Killed the first enemy on the right and when the the other appeared I shot him, broke the window and just wasn't fast enough to close it. Very small room too.

- Flight sequence in Chapter 7.

Between Chapter 9 and 3rd Save (End of Chapter 13):

- No deaths. I was very scared in Chapter 13 in the room with the spinning lasers because I dies the first time on my first playthrough.

Still need to go from Chapter 13 up 'till the end. Will post later what happens.

I'm on my last run so I'm going to post my deaths so far in order.

1st Save Deaths (Chapter 5 before tentacle grabs you):

- Right as the game starts I took a wrong turn while running and died immediately.

- After getting kinesis in Chapter 1 I just wasn't on my game and died on the room with 3 necros.

- End of Chapter 2 with the Brute and train.

Between Chapter 5 & Disc Swap Deaths:

- After the betrayal is revealed and you spam A and fall down, the Brute killed me.

Between Disc Swap and 2nd Save (End of Chapter 9 before nest fight):

- In the decompression room in Chapter 9. Killed the first enemy on the right and when the the other appeared I shot him, broke the window and just wasn't fast enough to close it. Very small room too.

- Flight sequence in Chapter 7.

Between Chapter 9 and 3rd Save (End of Chapter 13):

- No deaths. I was very scared in Chapter 13 in the room with the spinning lasers because I dies the first time on my first playthrough.

Still need to go from Chapter 13 up 'till the end. Will post later what happens.

I'll like to add that I made it alive 'till the end from my save in Chapter 13. I came close to dying a couple of times though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

F**k me do I hate this mode. It's extremely easy with a full spec force gun but I've died twice now in the spinning laser room due to the fact the stasis doesnt quite work with it. Earlier I shot stasis at it and it slowed down a fraction for a couple seconds but then I apparent ran too early and got clipped by the very end of the mechanism as it passed the door. I tried a second time and stasis simply had no effect. Consistency with this game mechanic would be nice. The worst part is I had to use my last save in chapter 10 as I had to go out.

• 3 weeks later...

First death was in the room right before you enter the Church of Unitology to start Chap. 4. So, I saved right before that part to avoid a death, even though it was super early, I didn't want to die at the hand of the two exploders again. I died two other times before I made it to the same spot again and was able to save from trying to rush from the anger of dying the first time (beginning scene, lame! And also from the doors that fly off the train). It was at this point I thought I would never, ever beat it on Hardcore, but I kept at it.

After my first save in chap. 3, I had an amazing run where I didn't die at all and I saved it at the part right before the tripod nest where you blow up the canisters. After that I had another great run before I had my most painful death: right before the last brute where you go through the 3 tiered room with a ton of necromorphs. A spitter got me on the second floor, slowed me down, and some fuckass slasher raped me from behind that came out of a vent before I could retreat. I literally just sat there staring at the screen for a full minute. 3.5 hours lost...and only 5 minutes from saving...

So again in my anger I rushed, trying to go through those 4 chapters fast and died a bunch of times: at the two brutes, the decontamination room, the hall after the decontamination room, and some room where two exploders join the party.

Waited a day to play again and made it to the eye machine and saved. Died at the sliding doors in the no gravity room with the nest, then tried again and beat it. Ended up being the second longest achievement in terms of hours spent specifically on it to get (12 hours or so counting deaths). That hand cannon was worth it though, was able to finish Zealot in one sitting in about 4.5 hours.

Fuck this achievement, and fuck whoever thought of hardcore mode. Seriously, this is ridiculous. I don't have all the time in the world to play games and when I attempt this mode, some stupid shit always happens. I was fine all the way up until chapter 14 and now it seems impossible.

Edit: I finally beat it last night. I think it took me three days or so from start to finish. I was doing okay up until chapter 13, that's when the most frustrating stretch for me was, I saved right at the beginning of the chapter, and it took me 10 HOURS to make it from 13 to 15. I kept getting killed for dumbass reasons lol. One time was during the start of 14 I got cornered waiting for the elevator, and as I was trying to grab a stasis canister, I ended up grabbing something else right next to it, TWO different times. I cussed Issac out XD

I would also like to add that my damn TV is shot, its grainy as hell (like Silent Hill times 3) so it was incredibly difficult to see the enemies from a distance, so the spitters kept hitting me! I've had the TV for almost four years and it decides to screw up when I'm already a few chapters in without saving. Made the game even more of a nightmare.

Edited by Jonlizardking