Onyx Medals Guide and Discussion

Nikke84

Gears 2's level 100 pissed me off enough but this is ridiculous! Haven't even bought gears 3 yet, honestly don't see myself getting it until its dying so i can boost the majority of it, gow has always delivered a great campaign/gameplay in general but who is seriously gunna put this much time in? even boosting i don't see myself getting this

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbh I already almost have Cover Onyxed without a TB controller. I got the majority of mine while boosting Guardian, Leader, and Abductor. Since a Meatshield counts as cover, and if you use the glitch so that you're leader every round, you can just rush, pick up their leader, and you're basically guaranteed the Buttoned Up ribbon.

oh thanks ok. didnt know the ms counted.

guess ill go for all those medals at once after im done with wingman...which will be a while.. glad i had a headstart from when i boosted Prescott a while back

also, towards everyone, is it safe to leave my xbox on all the time while grinding for onyx wingman?

Edited by Omni CEO

Always give it a break every once in a while. Especially if it's an old Xbox.

I got my 14th and 15th Onyx Medals recently, and I'm working on #16 right now (Untouchable Ribbons).

okay thanks.

i have the gears slim xbox so i wasnt too worried about it overheating at all from constant boosting idle.

but im giving it a 15 min break everyday now though per some advice from someone who has it already.

i am glad tho i atleast had a hestart with all the game modes since i boosted prescott a few months back.

Just a quick question.. I am doing the Wingman idle boost 2 vs. 2 bots.

I am having the problem that the bots dont find me on Bullet Marsh AT ALL, meaning.. I am stuck right there, they will never get just one kill. Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT:

Nevermind.. i just found out it depends on the spawns. If you are spawning on one side of the "U" they wont find you...

Edited by head0r Inc

Even before I started boosting things I thought this but now I really wish we could choose to NOT cycle the maps [or to choose which ones to cycle through] when playing private matches.

There are just some maps that I and friends don't like and would like to remove from the list, or for us to pick just one map and play a string of matches on it.

okay thanks.

i have the gears slim xbox so i wasnt too worried about it overheating at all from constant boosting idle.

but im giving it a 15 min break everyday now though per some advice from someone who has it already.

i am glad tho i atleast had a hestart with all the game modes since i boosted prescott a few months back.

yeah... i would... I only leave it on overnight once every couple of days... though lately I could probably do it every night since I've been playing old republic on the computer more than the xbox. But I found when I was trying to boost the 150 hours playtime in beautiful katamari, i was playing xbox all day, boosting all night, then coming back and playing all day.... it took too much strain and overheat crashed hehe.

yeah... i would... I only leave it on overnight once every couple of days... though lately I could probably do it every night since I've been playing old republic on the computer more than the xbox. But I found when I was trying to boost the 150 hours playtime in beautiful katamari, i was playing xbox all day, boosting all night, then coming back and playing all day.... it took too much strain and overheat crashed hehe.

Lol, yeah, well i have the gears 3 slim xbox ad its in open space, with the game installed to the HDD, so im not worried about it over heating.

But, as for the maps, i do wish we had an option of small,medium, large maps...

sandbar and yeah bullet marsh sometimes take forever but on azura they always find me right then and end the match.

wingman is such a damn pain..

Absolutely, I am doing the same.

Thanks. Learned the hard way that you have to move your game save back from the cloud to the hard drive to do it this way or it can't load up your data when you start the game off line... Got it fixed and boosted all last week. Live and learn.

I honestly think that this is moving faster than TDM. You guys may disagree. But this is a little quicker imho. I'm up to 1700 matches played in under two weeks and have grinded about the same amount of time. And it took almost 3.5 weeks to get to 3k in TDM. Now I'm not saying a ton faster. Just probably 2-3 days faster.

I've been boosting about 16hrs a day for maybe two months. No overheating issues. Have the last gen of the Elite which supposedly had the heating issues fixed.

I have ordered some better and quieter rear fans just to be safe from here on out. $24 to get rid of that noise and provide better cooling is worth it imho.

Thanks. Learned the hard way that you have to move your game save back from the cloud to the hard drive to do it this way or it can't load up your data when you start the game off line... Got it fixed and boosted all last week. Live and learn.

I honestly think that this is moving faster than TDM. You guys may disagree. But this is a little quicker imho. I'm up to 1700 matches played in under two weeks and have grinded about the same amount of time. And it took almost 3.5 weeks to get to 3k in TDM. Now I'm not saying a ton faster. Just probably 2-3 days faster.

3.5 weeks for TDM?

Thats almost equal to wingman right?

I would think it'd take far less time.

I know CTL KOTH EXEC AND WARZ wont take nearly as long as wingman is.

You know, the weapon kills really aren't as bad as I thought they were. I've gone from 200 Retro kills to 2,500 over the past 2 days. Another 3 or 4 days and I'll be done using the Retro. :)

yeah they arent that bad.

i was working on the hb a while back, got it from 5 to 700 in a day or so.

game modes are a definitely a different matter.

i am now on 880 for wingman. 880/1000 for the gold.

getting a bit closer to the onyx.

god i hate this slow ass mode.

I left the house with 1570 played and I know I still have a long, long way to go.

It's the last mode I need so can't wait o knock it out.

i played a few matches myself and am now at 1063.

definitely quicker when u play, especially if on casual.

when i actually play i have it set 2 4 bots.

i finish the game in 2 matches. 10 kills.

dunno how but it always adds 1 extra kill even though therese only 4 of them.

...not complaining lol.

im hoping the other modes arent as slow as wingman.