Why are you addicted to achievements?

BubbaSam1

Even though I'm a begginer for going for achievements. I just love going for them as I like the thought of playing a game to it's fullest. If I have time to go for the collectibles, I will. If not, I'm happy enough gaining 800-900+ ;)!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're just really good incentive to continue the game and complete it. Also when I put a lot of time in a game for a really challenging achievement it then feels even greater when I acquire a "hard" achievement.

I didn't start out as an achievement hunter. I played games because they were games. I tried a lot of games that I didn't like, got an achievement in them and was stuck with a lot of low gamerscore games. Then I lost my job and couldn't buy games. So I started playing some of those low score games to see if I could do better in them.

Then server closures started ending my run at completions so I started a new tag and have been a completionist ever since. My gaming budget now is pretty much 100% bing rewards used on amazon gift cards (about $15/month) and anything I get for birthdays and Christmas. Although, I've been saving a while now to pick up a 3ds xl which I should be able to get later this year. There are still a dozen or so 360 games I'm on the lookout for sales and a handful of arcade games. My backlog is down to about 15 games.

I'm not so much of a gamerscore whore as a completion whore. To me, the score will come as I complete more games. I like knowing that I beat all the "challenges' that the developer included in their game. I'm up to about 155 completions (75 retail, 80 arcade or so) in the 3+ years on this tag.

I won't be getting a XB1 until I'm done with all the 360 games I want to play.

The sound when ones pops up is a strangely addicting sound.

But I have been playing all my games to completion where possible since I started this profile at the start of October. Knowing that I have been able to max out a game that I have played is very satisfying. Including dlc for all games I have played. Some games I need to go back to at some point, plus there are a few long grinds ahead. Like GTA V and Diablo 3, even Dynasty Warriors 6.

I do feel like I have got value for money from my games when I get every achievement. Cause if I decided to just call a game done once I finished the story, I would get less hours from it. But as I buy pre owned, the value for money is even better.

I'm not in any way addicted, at least not anymore. But you gotta love the noise that pops up with each and every single achievement. Honestly I hear that noise without unlocking a achievement now. As well, I like to talk about it since I don't meet many achievement hunters in person. That self satisfaction of knowing, hey I just beat Borderlands and got every achievement including DLCS (I am close!)

I love the sound when the achievement pops. It's the opposite of a thunderstorm. With a thunderstorm you see the flash and then hear the thunder, but with this you hear the pop and then see the achievement.

Also, with games that are really tough (well to some) like Halo on Legendary it's a good way to prove you did it. Like I did Halo 3 and Reach on Legendary and I have the achievement to prove it. Some of my friends wouldn't believe me if I didn't have the achievement.

But then sometimes achievements fail, like Crysis 3 SuperSoldier! :uzi:

One word: motivation.

I'm an adult who really quit playing games altogether when I got to college, one could even say I "outgrew" it. A friend of mine got a 360 and was getting more play out of his games by going for achievements (I even helped him with a few). I enjoyed it enough that I bought a 360 and have been "playing for achievements" ever since.

I don't feel like I'm wasting time. I play with achievements as motivation, yet have fun along the way.

this^

also i find it gives you more out of a game.

Honestly, it makes me feel like I got the most out of the game that I could. I love the sound too. There's that sense of accomplishment too. Like someone else said, back in the day I would finish the main quest then be done with the game. Now, with achievements, it encourages me to do things and look for things I normally wouldn't bother with. They have their pros and cons though. There were games I probably would have enjoyed playing but they had hard or odd numbered achievements and I refused to buy them...

• 3 weeks later...

Its a good feeling hearing that sound, and knowing you have accomplished something. And its a nice addition adding the point system on there, that way you can compare to your friends and kind of have like a competition between yourself and your peers, looking at those higher than you and planning ahead how you will get to where they are!

really good question, ive never asked myself that before.

well theres achievements and trophies, trophies are in bronze silver gold and platinum (for earning all trophies in a game). some people day achievements suck because its just a number, they prefer getting hteir trophy level up. (which is basically the same). achievements (gamerscore) is just a number really, but the big advantage is that you can have any amount of gamerscore in one achievement, e.g 5 10 15 20 25 30 whereas trophies you can have bronze silver or gold.

for me i just like collecting them, dont know what it is, its just fun. even if achievements were like steam trophies (worth nothing at all, (all are 0g)) i would still collect them

I used to compete against friends for who had the highest gamerscore, but none of us are friends anymore, which is a shame as I used to really get into unlocking as many achievements as I could. Now I'm not so bothered, I just try to 1k/get as much GS as possible on games that I really enjoy.

Achievements are a challenge, and a way to push me to play further, even when I already finished the game the first time. It's true they have to be intelligent ones though, some of them are so absurd or so difficult to achieve to force you to play really over the border of fun, so much to change the experience in something like work.....or they simply convince you to give away, and you feel like if you don't have mastered a game like you desire.