Capcom open to buy out

immortality20

So, this is potentially huge news. Capcom has confirmed they're open to a buy out if a 3rd party buys controlling stock. Does this mean Microsoft will swoop in and really pad their 1st party? That would surely drive sales, and they obviously have the funds, but the realist in me just can't see it. Although Spencer is all about getting games out there.

If Microsoft doesn't buy them, who do you want? My main hope is Ubisoft buys them. I kind of think Capcom should stay 3rd party so every one can enjoy their games. Ubisoft would then be able up there with Activision and EA, should be interesting!

Edit: original story from IGN http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/capcom-now-open-to-buyout

Edited by immortality20

I honestly think MS would be a GREAT fit for Capcom.

But you're right ... if not MS, Ubisoft would probably be the best place for them. Though I really don't think Ubisoft has the resources to buy them right now. Sony is already making cuts across all divisions, so I really doubt they're in a good position to buy. EA could afford them, but I'm not sure I want to see them owned by EA.

Activision-Blizzard could also easily add them to the fold, but unless Activision makes a deal similar to their original deal with Blizzard, giving Capcom a semblance of independence, it will end up with Capcom's historic properties being washed out.

Nintendo might be able to buy them, but I seriously doubt Nintendo would WANT them.

---

If you want my really far out there idea ... it's for Disney to buy them. Capcom has some great gaming properties that have money-making potential, but they have far more potential for monetizing all their untapped story potential. Disney could buy a thousand stories with one purchase.

But I'd still rather see MS really pad their exclusives and 1st party developer club.

But you're right ... if not MS, Ubisoft would probably be the best place for them.

I couldn't disagree more. Ubisoft already has so many franchises on the shelf that they can't get games made for, that the last thing they need is to add Capcom's library to the list. I gave up on Beyond Good & Evil 2 a long time ago and we're finally getting a Rainbow Six game again, or at the very least, their version of Counter Strike - which is what it looks like now. Rainbow Six should have been giving Call of Duty and Battlefield an honest run for their money for the last six years, but instead we got nothing. Let's just leave Ubisoft to cranking out Assassin games and enjoy the occasional slip of brilliance when they release a Rayman or a Child Of Light.

...we're finally getting a Rainbow Six game again, or at the very least, their version of Counter Strike - which is what it looks like now. Rainbow Six should have been giving Call of Duty and Battlefield an honest run for their money for the last six years, but instead we got nothing.

This blurb of honesty breaks my heart because…it's well…true.

As much as I'd love Microsoft to buy in on capcom.

It's a partnership that could backfire on us gamers...

Capcom are notorious for hiding DLC on a disc, match this up with Microsofts stupid pricing... And you have an evil baby...

Anyway.

If I'm being honest I want someone to buy in on them even if it's just some stupid millionaire I don't care who, Aslong as they're first demand is "make new megaman games you fucking imbeciles"

As much as I'd love Microsoft to buy in on capcom.

It's a partnership that could backfire on us gamers...

Capcom are notorious for hiding DLC on a disc, match this up with Microsofts stupid pricing... And you have an evil baby...

Anyway.

If I'm being honest I want someone to buy in on them even if it's just some stupid millionaire I don't care who, Aslong as they're first demand is "make new megaman games you fucking imbeciles"

Don't say that. Curt Schilling would probably buy them lmao.

A Megaman game without Keiji Inafune would be like sunshine without the Sun.

Besides, you don't need Capcom for more Megaman ... Mighty No. 9 is coming :D

But legally that not megaman...

Unless they cut the fine line between lawsuit/awesome and just fun.

I shall not be impressed!

Also, I'm sure for the right amount of money keiji would come back ;)

Well whoever ends up buying Capcom I hope they continue focusing on producing quality fighting games. I'd love to see Capcom vs Snk 3, Marvel vs. Capcom 4 and Street Fighter 5. They've pretty much ruined all their other franchises anyways (DmC, Resident Evil, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, MegaMan, etc) so I could care less about what happens to those franchises lol.

Well whoever ends up buying Capcom ...

I just want to point out ... it's entirely possible that NO ONE buys Capcom. They didn't actually "put themselves up for sale". At their annual stockholders meeting, they voted to NOT renew a rule that allowed for a buyout or hostile takeover ... meaning when another person or corporation begins buying large portions of stock with the intent of gaining control over the company.

Until now, they had been protected by company stock-owning rules which only allowed for outside individuals and corporations to own a certain portion of stock.

Since they voted NOT to renew that rule, it does send the message that they're OPEN to a takeover. However, they are a fairly large corporation with over 2000 employees and worth several billion dollars. It's actually far more likely that a merger takes place, rather than a buyout.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/capcom-now-open-to-buyout

I just want to point out ... it's entirely possible that NO ONE buys Capcom. They didn't actually "put themselves up for sale". At their annual stockholders meeting, they voted to NOT renew a rule that allowed for a buyout or hostile takeover ... meaning when another person or corporation begins buying large portions of stock with the intent of gaining control over the company.

That's how I understood this news all along. I don't know what exactly their profit margins are, but it can't be that great if they are now open to a buyout or hostile takeover should the right offer be presented. It's entirely possible that nothing comes out of this if there is no other company interested or if their asking price is too high. Capcom only has what, 2 maybe 3 successful franchises left? While they might be able to milk the fans who love those series, they'll have to make some significant changes if they don't want to fade into obscurity.

That's how I understood this news all along. I don't know what exactly their profit margins are, but it can't be that great if they are now open to a buyout or hostile takeover should the right offer be presented. It's entirely possible that nothing comes out of this if there is no other company interested or if their asking price is too high. Capcom only has what, 2 maybe 3 successful franchises left? While they might be able to milk the fans who love those series, they'll have to make some significant changes if they don't want to fade into obscurity.

Capcom has lots of great franchises, they took a big step in the right direction with DMC reboot, my second favourite action game of the gen besides Bayonetta. It'd be huge if MS bought Capcom and had Okami as an exclusive and it was AAA, man that'd be nice. It'd be also interesting if they'd actually publish Ace Attorney on Nintendo's 3DS, or somehow work into a Kinect title.

They'd still have these, and I think it'd be worth the money if the price was right, all exclusives to push sales:

DMC

Resident Evil

Okami

Street Fighter

Mega Man

Lost Planet

Reboots/Sequels:

Viewtiful Joe?

Dragon's Dogma 2?

Dino Crisis reboot?

Omnimusha reboot?

And maybe have games like Breath of Fire, Final Fight, Power Stone and Monster Hunter as digital titles. I think they'd get their money back, but they'd have to be smart developing them.

Edited by immortality20

Capcom has lots of great franchises, they took a big step in the right direction with DMC reboot, my second favourite action game of the gen besides Bayonetta. It'd be huge if MS bought Capcom and had Okami as an exclusive and it was AAA, man that'd be nice. It'd be also interesting if they'd actually publish Ace Attorney on Nintendo's 3DS, or somehow work into a Kinect title.

They'd still have these, and I think it'd be worth the money if the price was right, all exclusives to push sales:

DMC

Resident Evil

Okami

Street Fighter

Mega Man

Lost Planet

Reboots/Sequels:

Viewtiful Joe?

Dragon's Dogma 2?

Dino Crisis reboot?

Omnimusha reboot?

And maybe have games like Breath of Fire, Final Fight, Power Stone and Monster Hunter as digital titles. I think they'd get their money back, but they'd have to be smart developing them.

That's kind of why I'm a bit hesitant to say that Microsoft should buy Capcom. After their treatment of Rare following their acquisition, I'm afraid they'll try and turn these games into crappy Kinect shovelware or simply wont do anything with most of these games at all. Of course, the Xbox division has changed with Phil Spencer now as the head, so maybe this would be a good time for them to purchase it and lock all of those series as Xbox exclusives...

That's kind of why I'm a bit hesitant to say that Microsoft should buy Capcom. After their treatment of Rare following their acquisition, I'm afraid they'll try and turn these games into crappy Kinect shovelware or simply wont do anything with most of these games at all. Of course, the Xbox division has changed with Phil Spencer now as the head, so maybe this would be a good time for them to purchase it and lock all of those series as Xbox exclusives...

Phil said Rare is working on a couple ambitious titles, I hope that means they're utilizing their gold mine of IPs they own. I agree Phil seems to be doing great and while the realist in me sees NO chance of Capcom letting Microsoft buy them, it certainly would be a huge shake up in the console wars.

Phil said Rare is working on a couple ambitious titles, I hope that means they're utilizing their gold mine of IPs they own. I agree Phil seems to be doing great and while the realist in me sees NO chance of Capcom letting Microsoft buy them, it certainly would be a huge shake up in the console wars.

Capcom doesn't have a choice. A company or person just has to buy the controlling stake of stock of Capcom.

Eh, let them die. That'll teach them to bullshit about not having enough time to include DLC on the disc for free, but include the DLC anyway and have it unlocked with a separate purchase.

Perhaps the worst publisher when it comes to DLC.

If you are referring to DR3, I am pretty sure the DLC data was included in the massive multi-GB updates and the file you downloaded just gave you access to that data.

Hopefully ms take them, so the xbox one gets even stronger.

But I wish people would stop with the dlc on disc....who cares. If e devs have content dlc ready before release, why not put it on the disc.

It would never be intended for the base game, so they'd just hold it back and then make you download it.

What is included In a base game/dlc is decided years in advance.....sometimes ey just have it ready early.

If you are referring to DR3, I am pretty sure the DLC data was included in the massive multi-GB updates and the file you downloaded just gave you access to that data.

No sir, I wasn't referring to DR3.

And they have the nerve to claim that on-disc DLC is no different to actual DLC - http://www.themarysue.com/capcom-no-difference-on-disc-dlc/

Things have quietened down in the last year or two, but their troubles aren't just because of poor sales. They made their fans turn against 'em because of their BS practices, one which many gamers (at least on forums, social media and whatnot) are strongly against.

No sir, I wasn't referring to DR3.

And they have the nerve to claim that on-disc DLC is no different to actual DLC - http://www.themarysue.com/capcom-no-difference-on-disc-dlc/

Things have quietened down in the last year or two, but their troubles aren't just because of poor sales. They made their fans turn against 'em because of their BS practices, one which many gamers (at least on forums, social media and whatnot) are strongly against.

Yikes. That is pretty awful.