Warriors Orochi 2 Nearly Killed My Hobby: A Cautionary Tale

ThrawnOmega

I recently wrote this rant for my blog, and am posting a link to it here:

http://thrawnomega.blogspot.com/2008/12/warriors-orochi-2-nearly-destroyed-my.html

A lot of people working Orochi 2 already know how much of a time consuming monster it is, but I feel this is required reading for anyone not yet aware of what it entails, or are just looking for horror stories:p

I didn't want to copy/paste on the chance it'd run over the character limit and require 2 posts.

Happy reading;)

Its a shame that it will be so long before i do get 100% on this game, tho in saying that i'll wait and see how i fair, but i think its better to have a many houred attempt to complete than a short one, at least people will recognise the length of time it takes.

I personally welcome this challenge ;)

See me back here in 8 months hanging from the roof with my own rope.

I personally welcome this challenge ;)

See me back here in 8 months hanging from the roof with my own rope.

Your first statement is what I was thinking too. I knew all stages cleared would be tough... I just had no idea how time consuming it would be.

The statement I bolded made me rofl:p

Ugh, I read that and it made me so sad. Props to you for going for the full 1000.

I definitely will never get those achievements. One thing I liked about the Warriors games was that they were mindless fun... but you got rewarded for your mindless fun with achievements so you felt less guilty that you just press X for 10 hours.

I've been working on this game a bit too, but fairly slowly. I'll get 1k out of it, but not really in a rush for it. DW6 was my 2nd game to 1k and there were several times during that one that I nearly gave up. I think my biggest issue with WO2 is that it's the first of any of the games that I've experienced lag issues with (even if it's only on the final stages) and that kinda makes me wonder about the difficulty of chaos mode.

Congrats on the 1k....now you're all set for DW6:Empires when it comes out. Gamefly has it listed as a 2/26/09 release date, but I can't find much info on it...and with the Techmo/Koei merger.....who knows....

Negative. Dial-up access only...and really only use it for surfing the forums here. Hoping to move soon and high speed internet access is a MUST for any place I move to.....been restricted to this slow crawl for about a year and a half now.

Thanks for the heads-up, though....I'll save some of those bad ones until after I can get on and DL the patch.

Heh, I love the DW/SW/WO series as much as anyone, though the grinding now is absolutely insane.

I also love seeing 1000/1000 on my games too, however I've come to terms that with that I simply don't have the time to grind out some of these achievements. So if I can get 500-750 GS from a game, I can call it good. If I can somehow whip out a 1000/1000, even better.

This game really is a time sink to get 1000 on. Luckily it is a lot easier than DW6 on Chaos. I recommend you always use different characters because unlocking the last dream stage is actually the most time consuming thing in the entire game. You need your average profiency for all characters to be 30 so just keep using different characters. Get your favorites up to 50 so you don't have to use some of the crappy characters. This game takes a ridiculous amount of time to unlock the last Dream Stage. You'll be using Xhu Zhu, Hanzo Hattori and Huang Gai who are all crappy in my opinion on that last stage so make sure all those guys are maxed with a good weapon when you finally unlock it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Started playing this game in December. Then for reasons I won't say, I got rid of my xbox. I could only keep so many save files on my memory card, and Warriors Orochi 2 was one of them to get deleted. So...I started over on my roommates Xbox.

I put the game down for a while, while still unlocking dream stages, I got Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 to 1000g (either the 2nd or 3rd according to mygamercard.net...after SnowSakura did, before SetsunaFSeiei did). Had to restart my Assassin's Creed game (it was deleted as well) and got 1000g on it after about 4 days. Now my marathon continues with Warriors Orochi 2. It's next =) Then after that, Tenchu Z (which I have to re-start as well).

Reading your blog at the very end made me want to complete it before I play anything else now. =)

Im going to have to put this down as well. Theoretically, it would only take me another week of playing to finish. If I played for 2 hours a day for the next week Id at least have all the proficiency, if not the dream modes as well, but my copy has died. For some reason it gets stuck in loading on the loading screen before it takes you to the pre-battle map. Gah! Irritating as hell, but at the same time a relief as this game is such a time sink. At least now I have time to play other things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i've had this game for almost a month now and my grind to 20 characters with max proficiency has been enjoyable. i used different characters and switched up the stages as i knocked out the majority of the stages on different difficulties along with grinding. that way things felt fresh almost every time i play. i pretty much combine the proficiency grinding, stage clear grinding, and weapon grinding all at the same time to save time and to keep me from getting bored.

i've loved the Warriors games since i played DW2 wayyy back in the PS2's early days and have been a super hardcore fan ever since :) i can see myself 1000/1000 WO2 by the end of September or early October...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...