Site Errors

Creech

Hey all,

I am sure that many of you have seen errors over the last week or so when accessing the site, or noticed it being painfully slow. We are aware of the issue and are actively working to resolve it.

Basically, we do a backup of the forum and front page every day, and that process is negatively impacting the server's performance. It isn't supposed to, and we are actively trying to rework the changes that we feel led to the slowdown. However, the backup is important from a business perspective, so we can't just turn them off until it gets fixed.

Please be patient, and we will get it taken care of as quickly as we can.

Thanks much.

Creech

This is as good of a place as any to post this. I got this error yesterday when loading a random forum page.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.252.11.146' (4) in /home/xbox360a/site/includes/vbbridge.php on line 2
Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.252.11.146' (4)

Wii U browser? :p Then again, I used to use that before I got my 360 and my computer was down. Those were fun times:dance:

Yeah, I'm having to use it at the moment because my power supply is fried in my PC and my fiance uses my iPad a lot. It's a decent browser (I love being able to flick videos on to the TV while I continue to browse), but it does have a few limitations.

Yeah, I'm having to use it at the moment because my power supply is fried in my PC and my fiance uses my iPad a lot. It's a decent browser (I love being able to flick videos on to the TV while I continue to browse), but it does have a few limitations.

I meant to say I used the Wii browser. I bet the Wii U works better with that mini screen on the controller. It probably works better than the crappy IE app on Xbox does:p

@Thread: The problems have been going on for a week? I haven't noticed anything until last night and this afternoon wait, it's 5pm already!?

I guess the reason I didn't notice is my phone randomly loads x360a slowly anyway.

Edited by Ceris

This is as good of a place as any to post this. I got this error yesterday when loading a random forum page.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.252.11.146' (4) in /home/xbox360a/site/includes/vbbridge.php on line 2
Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.252.11.146' (4)

This means your browser couldn't establish a connection with the vbbrdige.php file at the time you tried to access the webpage. I'm not sure what vbbridge.php is (I don't exactly make a habit of reading forum software source code), but based on how most SQL backups operate, the file was probably temporarily offline while it was copied into the backup directory. So your browser tried to retrieve the file, it wasn't there, and gave you an error instead. I'm not 100% sure because I mostly code in Java/Python/C, but that's my guess.

Seeing that this site has professional forum software operating (vBulletin), a LOT of files are likely required for each page. If any one of them is not available at the time of the request, it will return an error. Since copying to the backup is taking longer (which is why the site is running slower - limited processor capability), you're a lot more likely to receive some sort of database error until this is resolved.

TL;DR: Nothing to worry about, you just had bad timing.

Edited by Neverender