Should I build a PC?

jackw428

So should I build myself a PC or just use a site such as ibuypower.com? Their prices seem pretty fair especially when compared to other companies like Alienware. I have no experience whatsoever in computer building. If anyone has done this before please tell me: how easy is it to build a new computer with zero prior experience? Should I just buy one? What I'm scared of is if I f**k it up then I'll have wasted $1000+ is parts that I just destroyed. What would you guys recommend?

For a first timer? I would give it a 4/10. You have information in the packages of whatever parts you buy, which show and explain what to do with them. If that doesn't help, there is always the Internet.

The last PC I built was towards the end of 2010. All the parts + the Antec DF-35 case cost me roughly $1000. Had I purchased this as a package or let the store build it for me, it would of cost me an extra... $300-$500?

It was my third PC build, first one I did was when I was 14/15 and my first one still works to this day. :p

Well, as you do not know anything about building a computer....I dunno.

Not that difficult really....Barebone Kits are usually a little more user friendly, as everything is matched up (As opposed to getting the wrong sized motherboard for your tower/case).

Might I suggest Tigerdirect.com (LINK to barebones section)

Or Newegg.com (LINK to barebones section)

I love my custom built machines. I have one that is almost 5 years old, and still able to upgrade it (Mostly....at least it supports SATA)

I'd run by what you are thinking of getting on a forum that specializes in custom PCs. You might even be able to find a recent thread with a lot of replies that list something someone else bought to put together then you can just build that. Thats what I did in 2004 when I built my PCs. Now I just buy them because I'm lazy and don't feel like messing with it.

It is cheaper to build a PC from scratch, however if you've got no experience at building a PC (like you've said) then buying a PC would be your best bet. Buying a PC is what I'd do personally if I had no experience at building PC's (which I don't).

I'd run by what you are thinking of getting on a forum that specializes in custom PCs. You might even be able to find a recent thread with a lot of replies that list something someone else bought to put together then you can just build that. Thats what I did in 2004 when I built my PCs. Now I just buy them because I'm lazy and don't feel like messing with it.

This. Get a PC spec'ed up by either people on a forum or one of the sites that build PCs and make sure everything is compatible. Then it's essentially a case of plugging it all together like Lego lol.

Having recently built my high-end machine, I can tell you it is definitely worth the time invested. Sure I had general knowledge about computers, but never did built before. In just a month, I've been so interested and focused on it that it made me learn a lot. You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself.

I was also a bit bugged by the idea of screwing up things by purchasing wrong computer parts, but once you get yourself into it it's far less complex than it seems.

Choose your parts ! The main thing you want to know is what kind of system you wil be using ? Entry-level, Mainstream or High-end (it think that's how they call it). Then you have to make your choice : AMD CPU or Intel CPU. There a lots of guides to help you choose between these two.

Of course it is riskier to build one due to the fact that if you purchase an item from an online retailer, you have to deal with their refund process. However, having purchased a lot of my components from online retailers, only one was defective (the monitor). Returned it easily to amazon

You could also buy the parts from local stores (you tell them what part you want and they get it for you). The main advantage here is that if you get a defective product from the store they easily replace it at no fee.

Up to this point, if you have all your components it's time for assembling. You have to choices: assembling it yourself or have someone do it for you ("someone" refers to a computer store).

Having it assembled by a computer store if far easier and far less risky. Hell, you can even do as I did and ask them to be there for the main assembly. They will show you how to connect things up and general information about computers.

Finally, if you do buy things from online retailers, PLEASE shop from a trusty seller such as Amazon, Newegg, etc. Ask if you need any info about my experience.

If you can do it, it's worth doing. You can save money by buying your components form websites separately rather than buying a pre built computer. I actually managed to net a 2TB SATA HDD for £50 which was a steal.

If you feel you can't you can still get the components and find a technician to do it for you. Of course it does start getting expensive if you're buying high end components, and you'll need to do your research on that components you want.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't be scared, building your own pc isn't difficult it looks it but it's not. You'd be hard pushed to really F things up even on your first go with instructions. One of the most important things though is make sure you get rid of static build up on you (might not happen but not worth the risk) just touch something you'd get a static shock on (metal, can even be the inside of your pc case) you'll be good to go.