Guide or no guide?

Kolorless K

I usually don't buy guides. (I only have 2, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas). So I was going to buy the guide for Skyrim but Amazon had a great price awhile back for $25 for the collectors edition guide which is even less than the price for the regular edition guide.

I had to buy it. The good thing about it is that it doesn't have release date delivery so I will enjoy the game for a few days and then it will come with 2-day shipping.

If I were you, wait on another deal for the CE guide and get that.

Yeah I haven't bought a guide since Perfect Dark.

I remember back in the PS1 and PS2 days using gamefaqs. How times have changed. Unless you want a collector item, that to be quite honest, is pretty lame, then grab it. Otherwise I see no real need to purchase one. Plus guides you get online are free, and interactive, while printed copies are just that. One time prints where you hope they have the information you're looking for. I know a lot of people that said in recent guides they go into insane detail on shit that you might not care about, and not so much when it matters, like say boss fights.

The good thing about long, involving games like Skyrim is that the online guides and wikis will be mostly updated by the time you get to that point in the game. It probably won't be complete yet, but the dedicated, die-hard folks will race each other to get the best guides out there. And that's good for slow gamers like me who like to talk to every NPC and open every door/crate/what-have-you. :)

I will not buy a guide. All the information you'll need will be online. I also don't plan on looking through a guide right away. I will only use a guide when I'm really stumped and can't find a way to carry on the story/quest. The Elder Scrolls Wiki has always been a good help to me, so that's where I'll be going when that time arrives.

I only ever bought a guide for 2 games. Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy XII. I thought about getting one for Dead Island, but then figured "nah, 360cheevos will have the answers I need." So, unless you want to find something specific and don't feel like waiting for the forum to tell you, get one. I know I won't.

I will not be buying a guide, I don't use guides when playing through games because I feel it ruins my experience, if I get stuck I prefer to figure it out rather than jump on a guide, if I simply can't do something then that's when I turn to a guide, for times like those the cost of physical guides simply isn't justified for me.

I will not be buying a guide, I don't use guides when playing through games because I feel it ruins my experience, if I get stuck I prefer to figure it out rather than jump on a guide, if I simply can't do something then that's when I turn to a guide, for times like those the cost of physical guides simply isn't justified for me.

Could not agree more. Actual gamers are way to lazy asses, if the game makes you think, go run to get a guide or look at the internet. Hate that.

I do not use guides, far as I go on this days is look on the achievements lists for missable ones so I can be warned if I found the game hard or with zero replayable value.

I honestly think a guide will just broke your experience on a game like this, but I don´t know how much actual players do care for something like that.

Could not agree more. Actual gamers are way to lazy asses, if the game makes you think, go run to get a guide or look at the internet. Hate that.

I do not use guides, far as I go on this days is look on the achievements lists for missable ones so I can be warned if I found the game hard or with zero replayable value.

I honestly think a guide will just broke your experience on a game like this, but I don´t know how much actual players do care for something like that.

I think many Elder Scrolls fans like me are going to get that guide not because they need help, but because they enjoy reading it and collecting it.

It's not like you needed a guide in Oblivion, regarding how patheticly easy it was with the shit compass, but I still love the guide. bet its gonna be the same with Skyrim. I'll never use it in play, but I will read from it for the entertainment sometimes, and maybe it provides some usefull information.

I surely will read about the main quest and guilds after I have done them all, just not to spoil stuff for me, but all the other stuff is sure interesting. Like informations on the perks, creatures, armor, crafting, infos on the world and all the NPCs, easter eggs, hints and tipps, books and so on...

I just love to have a book about Skyrim where I can look up things from time to time.

Its funny how you think people are using this guides to complete the main quest. Compass already kills it all.

I may pick up a guide. Probably will. I do for many RPG's. I know I can get much of the information online but there is one thing that generally lacks information online and that is decent maps for the game.

A guide will give a decent map to look at. I hate going to a site and someone is writing a description on where to find something. Sometimes the descriptions are great and spot on but other times I could find my way to a back alley in Madrid in real life easier.

I think many Elder Scrolls fans like me are going to get that guide not because they need help, but because they enjoy reading it and collecting it.

It's not like you needed a guide in Oblivion, regarding how patheticly easy it was with the shit compass, but I still love the guide. bet its gonna be the same with Skyrim. I'll never use it in play, but I will read from it for the entertainment sometimes, and maybe it provides some usefull information.

I surely will read about the main quest and guilds after I have done them all, just not to spoil stuff for me, but all the other stuff is sure interesting. Like informations on the perks, creatures, armor, crafting, infos on the world and all the NPCs, easter eggs, hints and tipps, books and so on...

I just love to have a book about Skyrim where I can look up things from time to time.

Its funny how you think people are using this guides to complete the main quest. Compass already kills it all.

I can understand buying it for collectors value, I may possible purchase it at some point in time but it certainly wont be around the release, I personally prefer to discover things like perks etc. on my own, it proves for a much more involving experience when you have to figure it all out yourself, but it's up to other people what they do, I don't care how others choose to play the game, if they want to use a guide for every little thing then they can, if it's just for a quick reference thing then so be it, I personally just prefer a more direct approach.

I'm buying the guide mainly because I have to in order to use the coupon that came with the 5th Anniversary Oblivion. Although the majority of the information can be found on the internet, nothing beats having a hardcover guide. Although the only other guide I've purchased this generation of consoles is Dark Souls.

guides are pretty worthless since the internet. I mean any information we could want, and more, can be found the wikia's and other sources online so why bother paying 15 or more dollars for something you can get free.

also guides have a tendency to lie or hide stuff that's important. In my personal experience at least.

I'm buying the guide. I've got the Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas among others as well.

I absolutely love reading all of the Weapon/Armor/Alchemy sections, along with other details such as skills and what not. It makes for great shitting time reading.

However, aside of a possibility of miss-able achievements, I rarely, if at all, use the guide to complete Story line quests. That's just me though.

I of course use x360a as well, but I love reading a well written guide book.