Zoom from Nyko reduces space needed for Kinect

Pyrochaos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these work properly, then I'll get one, as at the moment I have to play standing on my sofa, which, while comfy on the feet, doesn't give you adequate balance. That, and my Mum looks at jumping on the furniture as a sign of rebelling. Not that I care, I do what I want...

It's perfecly fine when you're a rebel at the age of 21, jumping on your mom's furniture and not caring because you do what you want.

OT: I heard Microsoft didn't endorse this product, even adviced against it because it could interfere with the quality of Kinect.. They couldn't have figured out that everyone "and their mom" doesn't have the space of a zoo in their livingroom? :D

Edited by Vigor

I heard Microsoft didn't endorse this product, even adviced against it because it could interfere with the quality of Kinect.. They couldn't have figured out that everyone "and their mom" doesn't have the space of a zoo in their livingroom? :D

I think they were caught off guard when asked about it. Nyko should have sent them one to try out.

Their official response was "Kinect has been tested for performance, accuracy and environmental conditions thoroughly," said a spokesperson. "Any modification can impact the overall performance of Kinect."

I think they are just covering their asses legally. But you would think that being able to play in smaller spaces would be a HUGE positive for MS in colleges, kid's rooms, and other countries like Japan where living spaces are much smaller.

Also here is the reason it got pushed back a month (a good reason):

We've heard back from Nyko, and things are exactly as they seem: "Due to overwhelming demand from consumers and retailers we're increasing our initial production run and pushing the launch date back accordingly to ensure that all our partners are adequately supplied on launch day."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/07/nyko-zoom-potentially-delayed-one-month/

Funny thing is, microsoft promoted it at e3 on the floor clearly shown on both videos !

Then a week later putting out a statement saying this is not supported by Microsoft and should not be used by gamers!

To be honest, they should have thought of us uk gamers in smaller places who want it when the nyko launches ill get kinect and Microsoft know people will lol

Edit:- nyko zoom comes out 23rd September in the u.k

Got mine on order!

Edited by Akuza

Funny thing is, microsoft promoted it at e3 on the floor clearly shown on both videos !

Then a week later putting out a statement saying this is not supported by Microsoft and should not be used by gamers!

They never said it should not be used, I posted the direct quote above:

"Kinect has been tested for performance, accuracy and environmental conditions thoroughly," said a spokesperson. "Any modification can impact the overall performance of Kinect."
They are most likely just saying that to cover their asses legally.

• 2 weeks later...

If this works as well as people say, then this will probably increase sales of Kinect significantly.

More people have returned their devices due to insufficient space, so this is perfect.

I'll be getting one now, as I wanted to see a review or two, just in case it turned out to be a piece of crap.

I got mine in the mail a few days ago but haven't tried it out yet. I'll report back soon.

:)

Edit: Ok, so I just tested it on Kinect Sports.

-For some reason the Zoom can't see my floor so I had to put it on my TV stand (closer to the ground).

-I had to recalibrate my settings. Annoying but easy to do.

-I beat my old score in One Bowl Roll. It just took some getting used to the new settings.

I'm not sure if I'd give it a 10/10 maybe like an 8 or a 9 but I've only used it in one game. When I play Fantastic Pets tomorrow, I'll post results for that too.

I paid 24.00 flat for this device so I urge you all to not pay any more than that.

Edited by yamayamayaamaa

I got mine in the mail a few days ago but haven't tried it out yet. I'll report back soon.

I have one question; The review said you only need roughly 4 feet of room to play using Zoom. Is this definitely true?

My room will have about 5 feet of room in it, so not enough for regular Kinect but I'm hoping Zoom does make it closer to 4 feet and not 5 feet.

I have one question; The review said you only need roughly 4 feet of room to play using Zoom. Is this definitely true?

My room will have about 5 feet of room in it, so not enough for regular Kinect but I'm hoping Zoom does make it closer to 4 feet and not 5 feet.

Yes, this is true.

While playing Kinect Sports, I kept having to stand closer to my TV and the Kinect because I was so used to standing so far back.

One thing you guys need to be careful of is the height of where your kinect is at. I had mine at a little over 6 feet when I put the zoom on, and it had a very hard time seeing the floor. I moved it down (on some boxes) to the 4 foot level and it seemed to fix that. But just make sure you are within the 4-6 foot range, otherwise it doesn't seem to work as well.