What are you reading?

pensivedragon

I did a quick search and could not find a thread like this, and since I am very interested in books along with my gaming habit I decided to start one.

I am currently reading 'The Bardbed Coil' by J.V. Jones. It's about a woman who gets transported to a different world by a ring she finds herself caught up in waht looks to be a very nasty war. So far I find the book to be quite interesting, the characters are well developed and the author is not afraid to make the world dirty and real (as shown by the scene where the main character jumps into the river that runs through the town and the author describes everything from how thick it feels to the layer of oily scum and the brown lumpy blobs that float by etc.)

Also of interest is how magic in this world is cast through drawings, or more accuratly(for those that know what it means) 'Illuminations' like you find in old books.

I am about a quater of the way in and it looks to be the start of another good series by this author.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im currently not reading anything as i'm so busy however i just re-read all 8 myron bolitar books up until christmas (by harlan coben) to get it fresh in my mind for the up-coming 9th book in a couple of months, love these books.

in fact i love reading, i might get one in before the 9th is due out.

I`m reading Great Expectations (good shit)

also just started Atlas Shrugged

I enjoyed Great Expectations, I really need to read some more classics though. I am working my way through Robinson Crusoe on and off at the moment.

I have not yet read atlas shrugged, altough I think I might have it kicking around somewhere.

I read "The Dice Man" on a whim recently. Pretty fantastic if I may say, alot of psycho-babble though.

I have never heard of that, I may have to check it out. what genre is it?

Currently reading Twilight because of all the hype about it.... Utter shite may I sa

Ya, that is what I heard. In fact I heard that Steven King himself read the books and called the author a horrible writer in an interview.

Edited by pensivedragon

Actually looking for a good autobiography to read at the moment.

You should read "Chris Farley: A Life in Three Acts." Great book and gives you a better sense of who he was. Written more from a collection of interviews with friends, family, and co-workers but was a pretty great read.

I'm reading Moonraker, going through the Bond novels in order. I want to read a biography on Tesla after this because he sounds like a pretty wild and crazy guy.

I just re-read the wheel of time books 1-10 for the same reason (#12 is coming out this year at some point) I couldnt get my hands on book 11 at the time though.

I'm actually reading the Wheel of Time books at the moment. Only onto the 2nd but absolutely loved the first. Robert Jordan is an amazing writer.

I never read non-fiction books. See enough of the real world day to day. Don't need to read about it.:p

I wonder, would most video game players be more inclined to read fiction books?

I'm actually reading the Wheel of Time books at the moment. Only onto the 2nd but absolutely loved the first. Robert Jordan is an amazing writer.

I never read non-fiction books. See enough of the real world day to day. Don't need to read about it.:p

I wonder, would most video game players be more inclined to read fiction books?

To be perfectly frank I read the wheel of time series because it is a pillar of the fantasy comunity. I did not like it much, and at time outright hated it (I actually threw various volumes of it across the room at times)

It's a fictional autobiography of a psychologist who decides to live his entire life based upon decsions of a dice. It's by Luke Rhinehart.

That sounds pretty cool actually. I wil keep my eye out for that.

Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology

It sucks, but it's required.

I feel your pain. required reading can be a real annoyance. but often enough it made me read some good books that I would never have otherwise picked up so that balance all teh crap I had to read ('The Crysalids' *shudder*)

still reading making money by Terry Pratchett

Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors. I was so sad when I heard he had early onset Alziemers.

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I'm trying to read it in my English class but it's not too successful. It's like a graphic novel.

I think I have heard of that, was it not made into a movie? And is your reading of it not going well, or do you feel the book itself is unsuccessful?

To be perfectly frank I read the wheel of time series because it is a pillar of the fantasy comunity. I did not like it much, and at time outright hated it (I actually threw various volumes of it across the room at times)

Why would you continue to read it? I do find it humorous that you would literally throw the books (In disgust I imagine).

I was reading the Lord of the Rings book (1400 pages or so), half way through I found it to be quite boring. Loved how detailed it was but it was very slow.

Sure I could have kept going to say "Yes I have read this book, which is a favourite among the fantasy community" However I considered it to be a waste of my time.

Have you grown to enjoy the Wheel of Time series?

I think I have heard of that, was it not made into a movie? And is your reading of it not going well, or do you feel the book itself is unsuccessful?

It has been turned into a movie. Haven't seen it yet though and the English teacher might make us watch it.

The reading of it is not going well because every time in my English class when we are reading it we only get a least 4 pages of reading done before it turns into an argument or debate. (Some of the people in my class are from Iran and that so it turns into an argument between the teacher and students)