Easy Gill Exploits?

Major Bones

Does anybody know of any methods to earn gill easily early in the game? I am trying to follow the walkthrough for the 8 hour achievement, but he comes to a point early on where he uses the 15 puzzle to earn 10K gill each time he solves it, and that doesnt work on this version, and grinding 40k gill this early would take a very long time.

That wont help. In the speed run video linked from wpcentral the guy uses the 10k gil exploit to set up his characters as soon as he reaches elfheim. He solves the puzzle about 4 times breaking his record each time. Doing this he gets about 40-50k gil. I guess it is just a matter of trying to do what he does with much lower level equipment and see how far we get.

Well this wont be that bad after all. You dont really need the 40k gil at the start like he did in the video. If you bump your guys up a couple of levels it balances out for not having the equipment he does. Also some of the spells names have changed but the positions of the spells are still there. I am just kinda figuring it out as I go. Doesnt seem that bad since he did his in 3 hours and we have 8, but I am finding that it is taking about twice as long. I think its harder to make the commands and movements as quickly and as acurately as he does. I wish we had more than 3 save slots.

Well this wont be that bad after all. You dont really need the 40k gil at the start like he did in the video. If you bump your guys up a couple of levels it balances out for not having the equipment he does. Also some of the spells names have changed but the positions of the spells are still there. I am just kinda figuring it out as I go. Doesnt seem that bad since he did his in 3 hours and we have 8, but I am finding that it is taking about twice as long. I think its harder to make the commands and movements as quickly and as acurately as he does. I wish we had more than 3 save slots.

good to know..I played this game long ago on PSX, but now I am enjoying it and playing without using any guide or so but when I start my 8h run I'll definatelly use the video guide ;)

I'm actually two boss fights away from finishing the game and getting the 8 hour achievement, so I'll post some tips about how I went about it.

For the second hour I started by farming enough gil to get Fira for my black mage (assuming you have a black or red mage). Then I went to the peninsula east of Pravoka (go east, a little south, further east, then north - it juts out as a 2x3). The four squares farthest north have some hard guys that you can take down with Fira and some hits, or else back out to the menu screen if you aren't successful. You also level up faster with those guys.

Yeah, I got to Chaos with my 3 fighters and 1 Red Wizard and couldn't beat him at lvl 30. Luckily I had two hours left to power level my guys up to 43 and beat him my first try at that level. I think next time I would use a different party. Maybe 2 fighters, a white wizard and a red wizard. Those credits and ending is like 7 or 8 minutes so if your close on time watch out. The achievement didn't pop until the end of the credits.

Yeah, I got to Chaos with my 3 fighters and 1 Red Wizard and couldn't beat him at lvl 30. Luckily I had two hours left to power level my guys up to 43 and beat him my first try at that level. I think next time I would use a different party. Maybe 2 fighters, a white wizard and a red wizard. Those credits and ending is like 7 or 8 minutes so if your close on time watch out. The achievement didn't pop until the end of the credits.

Thanks. It's good to know that the credit is included in the 8 hour time limit. Seems unfair though.

And congrats for getting the achievement :-)

Edited by vintai

If anyone else needs to power level a bit go to the ice cave. Get to the spot where the levistone was and walk balk and forth on the Evil eye spawn its a quick 825 EXP and 3225 Gil. It only has 162 HP so it should only take a hit or two at level 30.

which are the recommended spots to level up in the 8h run?

like where should I lvl up from 1-10, then from 10-20 and so on..

that would be a good help..

I am using this method:

I'm actually two boss fights away from finishing the game and getting the 8 hour achievement, so I'll post some tips about how I went about it.

For the second hour I started by farming enough gil to get Fira for my black mage (assuming you have a black or red mage). Then I went to the peninsula east of Pravoka (go east, a little south, further east, then north - it juts out as a 2x3). The four squares farthest north have some hard guys that you can take down with Fira and some hits, or else back out to the menu screen if you aren't successful. You also level up faster with those guys.

but I don't know if there are better spots to do so at higher levels..

I'm looking for this too, Achiever. I had to start my 8 hour run over because, as with Major Bones, my characters were too weak to beat Chaos at Level 33. :(

I'm going to try and put together a tips page for doing the 8 hour run later this weekend. But what I'm trying right now is to find areas in dungeons where you are guaranteed a fight on a particular square (like the Hall of Giants in the Earth Cave). That way you're cutting out the time on looking for random encounters.

So my list so far is:

1. Peninsula NE of Pravoka

2. Hall of Giants in Earth Cave

I recommend the maps at Retro Walkthroughs since most of them show where the guaranteed encounters are, as well as who you encounter there.

http://www.retrowalkthroughs.com/final-fantasy-1/map-index

I'm looking for this too, Achiever. I had to start my 8 hour run over because, as with Major Bones, my characters were too weak to beat Chaos at Level 33. :(

I'm going to try and put together a tips page for doing the 8 hour run later this weekend. But what I'm trying right now is to find areas in dungeons where you are guaranteed a fight on a particular square (like the Hall of Giants in the Earth Cave). That way you're cutting out the time on looking for random encounters.

So my list so far is:

1. Peninsula NE of Pravoka

2. Hall of Giants in Earth Cave

I recommend the maps at Retro Walkthroughs since most of them show where the guaranteed encounters are, as well as who you encounter there.

http://www.retrowalkthroughs.com/final-fantasy-1/map-index

I found this on a gamefaqs walkthrough:

[Q] Where would be the best places to train later in the game? [A] The Chimeras of the Mirage Tower give a very hefty amount of EXP. Likewise, the Ochus and Neochus of the rivers (canoe required) also provide a lot of EXP. The best area to train is the Flying Fortress. Almost every battle will net you more than 1000 EXP.

it may be helpful :p

I found this on a gamefaqs walkthrough:

[Q] Where would be the best places to train later in the game? [A] The Chimeras of the Mirage Tower give a very hefty amount of EXP. Likewise, the Ochus and Neochus of the rivers (canoe required) also provide a lot of EXP. The best area to train is the Flying Fortress. Almost every battle will net you more than 1000 EXP.

it may be helpful :p

The spot where you get the levistone is great. if I could go back I would of grinded a lot more levels there. A square that spawns a 1 hit monster worth over 800 XP is nice. Just be careful you don't fall through the cracked floor. I would try to get to around lvl 42 by the end of the game, and that's with 3 fighters and 1 ref wizard.

The spot where you get the levistone is great. if I could go back I would of grinded a lot more levels there. A square that spawns a 1 hit monster worth over 800 XP is nice. Just be careful you don't fall through the cracked floor. I would try to get to around lvl 42 by the end of the game, and that's with 3 fighters and 1 ref wizard.

Dude. Yes. I got to level 36 before I hit 4:00 on the timer. That spot is perfect for leveling up, it goes sooo quickly.

I would have gone further, but was low on magic / life and accidentally fell through the cracks. :(

I just got the 8 hour achievement. Phew! Like Major Bones, it took me about 6 hours.

I was too lazy to watch the speed run video. I just used the phone's back button to get out of any fights that would take too long (any ambushes, any time when my guys got poisoned / killed) and leveled up at the three points mentioned (Peninsula NE of Pravoka, Hall of Giants in Earth Cavern, Evil Eye in Ice Cavern). There's a similar battle on 3F of Mirage tower, where a Blue Dragon gives ~800 xp and only appears solo... but he's a bit tougher than the Evil Eye. Finally, I used dungeon maps to skip treasures I didn't need (but still pick up good equipment) and speed run the dungeons.

I was Level 40 by the time I reached Chaos and it was pretty smooth sailing through the whole dungeon.