F*** Hardcore

Diablo Himself

Spending all night getting to chapter 6 and dying after killing the two big belly monsters and dying to the 'swarm' + 6 leapers. =[

Sad day.

I used the chapter 1 dupe trick and I didn't want to have my time wasted so I used save 1 of 3 after duping. Having 2 saves leftover I hope to get to disc 2 and then save somewhere around chapter 10 for save 2. And then Idk where for save 3.

Anyone have any tips to give me. Every time I die I turn off my xbox in anger.

Spending all night getting to chapter 6 and dying after killing the two big belly monsters and dying to the 'swarm' + 6 leapers. =[

Sad day.

I used the chapter 1 dupe trick and I didn't want to have my time wasted so I used save 1 of 3 after duping. Having 2 saves leftover I hope to get to disc 2 and then save somewhere around chapter 10 for save 2. And then Idk where for save 3.

Anyone have any tips to give me. Every time I die I turn off my xbox in anger.

first tip is not to waste a save so early. i know you want to save your dupe progress, but trying to go from the beginning to around chapter 10 without dying is a huge task. i would make my first save in chapter 5 before the huge tripod monster, then at least if you die before disc 2 you dont have to redo too much.

second save would be at the beginning of the ishimura, as that ship kicked my ass a lot.

third save for me was chapter 13 i think, just before the eye poke machine.

if you dont want your time wasted by doing the dupe glitch, you could just not do it. you dont really need it. this difficulty is deceiving and its not hard at all, its just peoples nerves get to them because of how much progress you lose. just take your time, and maybe consider watching a youtube guide as you're playing, so you can watch what is in a certain room in the video before doing it yourself in your game.

also, consider that i managed to complete this game on hardcore, and i suck at hard difficulties, so if i can do it, anyone can:p

good luck!

I used the dupe glitch and saved after it. I fully levelled my rig, stasis, plasma cutter and force gun. I got around 100,000cr also. At every store I stocked up on ammo and med packs. I really only used the force gun. I barely ever used the plasma cutter. I force gunned pretty much everything. My last 2 saves were at the beginning of chapter 11 and at the end of 13 right before the eye poke machine.

Using the fully upgraded Force Gun I only died once in the whole playthrough at the beginning of chapter 7, losing about 20 minutes. I also stopped for the night at the chapter 11 save and finished it the next day.

Obviously to have the force gun at chapter 2 I had to buy some DLC. I purchased the Martial Law and Supanova Packs. It was well worth the 800msp.

Also the suit I wore was the one that gave 15% med pack bonus (DLC suit) until I got the advanced suit in chapter 11.

Pretty much filled my inventory with medium med packs and force gun ammo. A couple of stacks of plasma cutter ammo just in case.

I hope this helps and good luck. The foam finger is 100% worth it!

*pissed off rant time* ok so im playing dead space 2 right? and ive played through the other campaigns multiple times so im doing pretty good on hardcore. i get to chapter 2, walk across that moving walkway and open the door, see a save point but skip it because i was planning on saving on chapter 4. I see all the people getting f'd up and i go the elevator, im going down, the door opens and i see the guy get messed up, the dead girlfriend is in the corner of the elevator, then FOR SOME REASON!!! my guy likes drops into a black abyss, Literally all black nothing in sight, my guy keeps falling for a couple seconds then BOOM im dead, Like wtf? i die because of a stupid ass glitch? bs

Just beat the game for the first time tonight and was planning on doing hardcore asap with the same plan of attack as you. I know this sucks for you but this thread has already helped me to not have the same thing happen to me so thanks for that and dont give up man especially after going through the duping process. Scotty has excellent suggestions and maybe its best to take a breather and read more tips then give it another shot. I wish you luck.

Imo, it's not worth the headache. Just walk away from it. No one cares if you don't max it. It's a stupid achievement that was meant to frustrate more than challenge.

Hmmm... why am I not surprised.

Frankly found it a worthy challenge. I stink at shooters for the most part and had trouble with it true, but had a hell of a lot of fun too. It was a great experience to feel that level of paranoid stress, very immersive even after having played the game twice before already.

There are quite a few tips and tactics threads for hardcore in here OP, give them a read through as they do help immensely. :)

In a nutshell: Patience! Go slow and never rush, it's always the little things that kill you, and stick to only 2-3 weapons at most. Dump and sell everything else. Contact Beam, Plasma Cutter and Force Gun are pretty much all you'll need, max them and your RIG, and you should be okay.

For my Hardcore run, I basically locked myself away for the weekend with a stocked kitchen and a case of beer. Totally worth it. :drunk

Edited by Opiate42
Spelling

LOL.

Just died in Chapter 6 for no good reason. In a room I previously cleared with full health and I just died. Basically dropped dead. I think it was a glitch, I really don't know what happened and I was looking at the screen.

Oh well, seems I have decided it was more funny than irritating, in a move that has surprised me. I think I'm gonna restart on Thursday and use the glitch to get infinite power nodes in Chapter 1. Then I'll push my luck to Chapter 3 or 4 then save. Saturday I'll do from there to the Switch, then Switch to 11 (Save 2) then Saturdy or Sunday do 11 to 13 or 14 and make my final save. We'll see...

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, the first save should be made either before you meet Diana, or the beginning of chapter 5. Most people I have helped before have saved later than I and that is fine. However, a precaution I need to add before continuing is the Force Gun(Limited Edition) and Zealot Suit(Limited Edition) was at my disposable. The Force Gun schematic is on Chapter 9 and is the only other gun you need,however, until then you need a gun that can take out multiple targets.

What I would advise is tell me your setup. What guns are you using? Are you focusing more on leveling up your Rig, or Guns first? Remember, the difficulty is below Zealot and should take account that a Plasma Cutter will not do much damage to limbs if not leveled up properly.

Hard Core is not as difficult [if the saves(3) are used at the right places] as many people may think. Taking baby steps is the ideal way of staying alive. Think ahead!! The game is exactly the same in terms of enemy locations! They pop out of the same location. Find a safe spot and let them come to you. Also, Statis is your friend. If scared and having anxiety, take a break and refer to the forums, or even play another game that will help you calm down or until you feel confident enough for round 2(or 8)!

My saves were: Before Diana(Chapter 5), Chapter 10(I died at this part, thank God I did not let my Ego get the best of me), and before the Rotating half-made Red Maker(Chapter 14).

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by x410xDragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Think it's ridiculous that they included only 3 saves within this achievement. I am planing to use my first save hopefully on disk two as i hear that is the best place to start.

Any advice would be much helpful.

I'm currently in the process of doing hardcore myself (I've gotten to chapter 9 where I made my second save). I've died once in chapter 2 in the laundry room because I panicked, and I nearly got killed by the last pregnant in chapter 8 as it ripped itself open while I wasn't paying attention (swarmers dropped my health to the last bar!). The very best advice I can give is to watch walkthrough videos on YouTube, preferably several of them so that you can see different tactics to each area and choose your own.

Here are some YouTube videos of the beginning of some playthroughs that I found very useful

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj8SCm7EQL0]Ⓦ Dead Space 2 Walkthrough ▪ Hard Core - Chapters 1, 2, 3, and 4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcUdmMuce4M]Dead Space 2 Hard Core Walkthrough Chapter1.2.3.4 - YouTube[/ame]

Also, there are several other videos available for each chapter on hardcore if you simply search for it (f.e. dead space 2 chapter 7 hardcore).

If you can spare the extra dime, get a DLC for the suits and the weapons, as it does come in handy. Although I did buy the Martial Law pack a while ago as I thought it was the achievement DLC, I rarely ever used any of the DLC weapons. I went with the PC for the most part, but I had a Force Gun in my inventory for safety, but it wasn't really needed. I did the Detonator glitch right after the disc switch because I knew the tripod elevator was coming up and I couldn't afford ammo for it. Glitching for cash is pointless, it takes AGES and you'll just be bored out of your mind.

Do not freak out during the events where you have to shoot glowing points or canisters or else you die, you have more time than you think so you can really take it easy (although not too easy!) The church grab and the tormentor was a couple of my most feared events, but I didn't have much problem with them at all.

Take it slow, watch videos so you know where to anticipate enemies and make sure you have enough health and ammo (I always keep 4 health packs and 50 PC ammo).

But as I said, learn from videos! I breezed through several areas because of that. I'm going to try to make a run for chapter 13 up to the eye poking machine. I'm not even nervous about it like I was before starting my HC run because now I know it's not really THAT bad, as long as I stay focused!

Ah, finally completed it. I actually saved right after getting to chapter 13 because I didn't want to risk it. I can't believe how easy this actually was. Every area I was afraid of wasn't too much of a problem, even with me being all tense and stuff. My heart was racing at the final flight and I almost crashed. Now for zealot and the foam finger!

My load out: Plasma Cutter, Detonator, Force Gun, Contact Beam (starting at the mining elevator).

To everyone going for this achievement: It isn't that hard! Just keep your cool, stock up on health and ammo, and watch videos (preferably several) and you should be fine. :)

waiting til the second disc to save is not needed. i created a few headaches by meeting this condition and it turned i really only needed 2 saves. word of advice about the detonator glitch: only farm whats necesssary in the beginning. dont overdue it.

do the glitch for 2 hours and then die 5 hours in and you will understand

• 1 month later...
second save would be at the beginning of the ishimura, as that ship kicked my ass a lot.

third save for me was chapter 13 i think, just before the eye poke machine.

My first save was at the beginning of Ishimura (chapter 10). Second save was meant to be just before the eye poke machine in chapter 13, but I died just a few rooms away. Got swarmed by enemies, and the Force Gun wasn't really helping much. Ended up getting grabbed. Couldn't break out of it. Great, have to go through all of that shit again... :( Another day.

• 2 weeks later...

i was pissed for a little while because i did the node glitch to get some nodes to max out my suit and plasmacutter and then i made it to the room in ch2 where the door malfunctions and the problem was no enemies spawned so i just ended up sitting there for 15 minutes looking online trying to figure out the problem and then all of a sudden its like power restored :D and the door opened by itself, and then again when i was hanging upside down

Edited by Doc Lolly

• 2 months later...
I used the dupe glitch and saved after it. I fully levelled my rig, stasis, plasma cutter and force gun. I got around 100,000cr also. At every store I stocked up on ammo and med packs. I really only used the force gun. I barely ever used the plasma cutter. I force gunned pretty much everything. My last 2 saves were at the beginning of chapter 11 and at the end of 13 right before the eye poke machine.

Using the fully upgraded Force Gun I only died once in the whole playthrough at the beginning of chapter 7, losing about 20 minutes. I also stopped for the night at the chapter 11 save and finished it the next day.

Obviously to have the force gun at chapter 2 I had to buy some DLC. I purchased the Martial Law and Supanova Packs. It was well worth the 800msp.

Also the suit I wore was the one that gave 15% med pack bonus (DLC suit) until I got the advanced suit in chapter 11.

Pretty much filled my inventory with medium med packs and force gun ammo. A couple of stacks of plasma cutter ammo just in case.

I hope this helps and good luck. The foam finger is 100% worth it!

trusting you and im buying the DLC Bond! thanks for the tip.