black screen

ok i'm playing el shaddai and I got through the shadow side mission/game and when i went back to the main area of the level the screen went totally black and I can't see anything. on top of that I can't pause, I can't hit back to bring up the option menus and there apparently are a bunch of enemies trying to kill me. somehow by the grace of god I managed to beat the enemies trying to kill me and now the ambient music is back, however, the screen hasn't returned back, nor can I hit pause or even bring up the menu using the back button. I hit the guide button on my controller and it brought up the guide that I can see so I know it's not my tv or my connection to the tv.

sorry for the long post, any ideas anyone? has this happened to anyone?

Sorry to hear that you got a weird glitch like that. I didn't have that happen to me at all, however, in Chapter 8 of the game it froze a couple of times resulting in a complete reboot of the 360. Only thing I could suggest is something you probably already tried, which is simply to go back to the dashboard and load your most recent save. What might've happened is that it 'soft locked' on you keeping the transitional black screen swipe screwing everything up.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a loading issue. When it happens have you skipped a cutscene or popped an achievement? If it keeps up try not skipping cutscenes and see if that fixes anything.

I tried it myself this morning and it seems to work, but there's still that small FPS hiccup. I really hope they patch this :(

I've had problems on chapter 4. Suddenly now when i kill enemies a black loading screen flashes for a minute before returning to the action. It's done that several times. I've now installed to the hard drive to see if that helps. Otherwise, other than some minor technical things its been a pretty fun game so far. Anybody else have this issue??

• 2 weeks later...
I've had problems on chapter 4. Suddenly now when i kill enemies a black loading screen flashes for a minute before returning to the action. It's done that several times. I've now installed to the hard drive to see if that helps. Otherwise, other than some minor technical things its been a pretty fun game so far. Anybody else have this issue??

to my me passes when mato an enemy is frozen for 1 second, to go shit

i get a secound freeze with every enemy kill. Happend around chapter 6 . shame as i was really enjoying it.

Same thing here, happened around Ch 8 but only with every 3rd kill or so but after beating the game and using chapter select the game became completely unplayable, even breaking a pot turned the game into a slide show.

I've had a look around and found this thread on gamespot and it seems to be caused by the Rest in Peace achievement, I've deleted my save file and started a new game only this time I avoided killing any of the Beloved Souls on Ch 4. Almost at the end of Ch 5 and so far so good, just hoping it doesn't kick in again when I reach Ch 8 or this game is getting binned. :(

I assume by your tag youre also on a pal copy? Iv just cleared my cache but noticed the game didnt even patch so thats wasted my time. Hope they do patch it soon though looking at it it seems only about 6 of us bought it!

7. :)

This is my most anticipated game of the year (along with Catherine), so I am really looking forward to starting it this weekend. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you guys are having, I hope that the game does not continue to cause you pain. I always install games, and I will try not killing any beloved. Whatever they are. :)

I assume by your tag youre also on a pal copy?

Yep, PAL game. So far so good on this playthrough, now playing through Ch 8 and not a single frame drop/black screen so far.

Edit:

Ok, I reached the point in Ch 8 where it happened originally, only for the same thing to happen again. By the time I reached Ch 10 the game was unplayable so as a last ditch solution I deleted my profile from the HDD and recovered my gamertag.

Picked up again on Ch 10 and finished the game and it was fine, I've now used chapter select and replayed Ch 8 and everything is as it should be. It was a long shot but recovering my acct seems to have fixed it, anyone else having the black screen/freezing issue should give it a try, hopefully it'll work for you too.

Edited by Shigurui

Yep, PAL game. So far so good on this playthrough, now playing through Ch 8 and not a single frame drop/black screen so far.

Edit:

Ok, I reached the point in Ch 8 where it happened originally, only for the same thing to happen again. By the time I reached Ch 10 the game was unplayable so as a last ditch solution I deleted my profile from the HDD and recovered my gamertag.

Picked up again on Ch 10 and finished the game and it was fine, I've now used chapter select and replayed Ch 8 and everything is as it should be. It was a long shot but recovering my acct seems to have fixed it, anyone else having the black screen/freezing issue should give it a try, hopefully it'll work for you too.

This worked for me as well. Recoving my gamertag. No idea why it would but it did! Bravo matey.

Im having this stupid glitch too and its RUINING the game for me. I get a freeze and a black screen for 2 seocnds every kill and every time a new sound is loaded..GRRRRRRRR!

I hope recovering my gamertag works but whenever I recover it takes 4-5 HOURS. Thats right cos of all my played games my gameratag is over 200MB so it takes 5 hours to recover.

Why can I download a 1GB DLC file in a few minutes but hours to recover a 200MB profile.

Edited by The Dauntless

Edit:

This worked for me as well. Recoving my gamertag. No idea why it would but it did! Bravo matey.

This is great news that I am just reading here.

I was one of the more pissed off posters in that gamespot thread (hint: gaijinplus1,) so if recovering my profile works, you will have made an oldster EXTREMELY happy. :D

It looks like it worked!

I restored my profile this morning and gave the game a quick whirl around Chapter 7. Killed a few mobs with no lag whatsoever. Had to stop though because I was already late for work.

I'll edit this post tomorrow (good or bad) with a definitive answer. But things are definitely looking good!

EDIT: Restoring my profile totally worked. :D

Edited by Dude Rain

• 2 years later...

So I started getting this glitch in chapter 5 and I just kept playing thinking it was something wrong with that level. Played through chapter 6 too. When it happened again in chapter 7 I checked in here to see what the deal was.

So I signed out, redownloaded my profile and that seems to have fixed it for now. What an odd glitch.