IGN = Complete Biased Rock Band Fanboys

CRAZYCJ20

http://music.ign.com/articles/892/892035p1.html

Look at how out of their way they went just to discuss Rock Band 2 tracks. I like Rock Band, but come on, the way IGN praises this game is rediculous. They even gave Rock Band 2 best of E3 for music games over Guitar Hero World Tour, which clearly showed more innovation and a bigger step forward than Rock Band 2 did. Their excuse was "We got to play Rock Band 2, but didn't get to play Guitar Hero World Tour." Funny thing is, Rock Band 2's gameplay is not different at all for the orignal, so how is this even logical? I just truelly believe that IGN has ruined their credibility this past year in nearly everything. Listen to the Geometry Wars 2 review for a great example. they get so off basis it's rediculous.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitar Hero world tour might be better when it is released, but Rock Band clearly had a better E3. They released are their songs and they had playable demos. The only people who play Guitar Hero were the people are making the game. Rock Band had a better E3 hands down.

Well it all depends at how you look at it. For me, E3 is more of an announcement event where innovation and a good showing of that innovation should win the "best of" awards. Rock Band 2 had a playable demo, but honestly, I could play Rock Band 1 here at home and get the exact same experience just with different songs. Guitar Hero World released details that completely innovate this genre of gaming, which is much more impressive than just some playable demo of a game that shouldnt even be considered a sequel. I just find it ironic that IGN goes out of their way to pretty much give us a few paragraphs on all the songs of the game in an article while they barely write a few sentences for GH3 DLC if they even mention it. I just find IGN turning into a community of lost credibility and immaturity. I dont even bother to take them seriously anymore. I just want the facts rather than some in-depth look at something that really isnt necessary. They'll probably give GHWT an 8.5 and then Rock Band 2 at least a 9.0. Just watch them pull something like that off.

That article you posted is just about the music of RB2... in the music.ign.com section, by 2 guys, Scott Collura & Spence D. Is something wrong with that? How does that make IGN fanboys? I'm sure they will do the exact same thing for Guitar Hero: World Tour... once the official song list is released.

Also, saying they liked RB2 over GH:WT @ E3 is perfectly legit. They didn't get to play GH:WT.

That's like going to a party and drinking Bud Light. If someone asked you later which you thought was the best beer at the party "Bud Light or Coors Light" and your response was "Bud Light, because they didn't have any Coors Light to drink"... how is that bias?

Honestly, all your comments make you sound like a GH:WT fanboy, which also makes you a hypocrite for bashing IGN.

That article you posted is just about the music of RB2... in the music.ign.com section, by 2 guys, Scott Collura & Spence D. Is something wrong with that? How does that make IGN fanboys? I'm sure they will do the exact same thing for Guitar Hero: World Tour... once the official song list is released.

Also, saying they liked RB2 over GH:WT @ E3 is perfectly legit. They didn't get to play GH:WT.

That's like going to a party and drinking Bud Light. If someone asked you later which you thought was the best beer at the party "Bud Light or Coors Light" and your response was "Bud Light, because they didn't have any Coors Light to drink"... how is that bias?

Honestly, all your comments make you sound like a GH:WT fanboy, which also makes you a hypocrite for bashing IGN.

There are many reasons for one to believe that IGN share very biased opinions towards Rock Band over the Guitar Hero franchise. They overexaggerate every little feature that Rock Band 2 puts out (such as the "challenges" each DLC comes with). There have been multiple GH3 DLCs that I never saw an article for on IGN, and I usually check whenever I'm online. However, I see every DLC item Rock Band puts out being announced. IGN's credibility has gone down the drain. 10/10 in GTA IV? So you're telling me that GTA IV is a better game for its time than Goldeneye was for its time? I dont think so. Who even plays GTA anymore? A 10/10 game usually has a lasting appeal, which GTA's lasted maybe a month or two for the majority of gamers. This is only one example of their terrible reliance on reviews. Have you seen their movie reviews or their music reviews? Those are an absolute joke. Babe of the week? I dont think anyone on that staff has any credibility with women to be honest. That site has lost its touch and now it's on the same level as gamespot. I guess with the big push gaming has gotten with the media definently throws it down on the same level as other pop culture media as far as just reporting the news goes. Full of biased garbage.

And how am I a GHWT fanboy? I own Rock Band and I plan on at least renting Rock Band 2. If anything, my opinion is very credible considering I've given both games a large amount of my time and my gamerscore on each of my Guitar Hero games and Rock Band games can prove that. I've experienced what each game has to offer and have my opinions on them. To call me a fanboy is completely childish. Judging by the Rock Band songs of the week you flooded your signature with, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that you're a Rock Band fanboy. Funny, it's always the ones who call others hypocrites that really are the hypocrites.

As for your beer example, it's not very creative or relevant. E3 is about learning what new software and hardware the gaming industry will offer in the future. If being able to play a demo of a game with the exact same gameplay will win over an award for people, then those people think like children who dont appreciate announcements of innovation. More people overall were impressed with GHWT's showing considering they released valuable news that changes the face of this genre (I mentioned this before but i guess no one who has responded in here cares about change).

Edited by CRAZYCJ20

The problem with announcements is that they are just words. Look at Fable. Lots of words and very little of that came to fruition. Until GH:WT shows something innovative they are still just words. Playability will always win over announcements since it's tangible.

Uh hello? They had a trailer showing all these new features I was talking about. With games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, a demo is pretty much worthless considering the base gameplay will stay the same. Rock Band and its sequel are exactly the same as far as playing a song goes. Therefore, saying "We got to play it" is just some stupid cover up of their biased opinions. Go and look at their list for most anticipated games of 2008 and look what they said about Rock Band 2, it's completely laughable. What's next? Are they going to overexaggerate new colors on the menu screen? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that you're a Rock Band fanboy. Funny, it's always the ones who call others hypocrites that really are the hypocrites.

Yes, I'm a RB fanboy. I never claimed I wasn't.

How does that make me a hypocrite? Do you know what the word hypocrite means?

Back on topic, I'm not defending IGN at all (or claiming that they aren't biased) I'm just saying your anger is misplaced. My point again - the official setlist was announced for RB2, so IGN is going over the different music from that setlist in their MUSIC section (hint: not game section). I'm sure that when GH:WT announces it's official setlist, IGN will do the exact same thing. They've done it before with other GH games.

It's quite obvious that you are firmly grounded in your opinion, regardless of how illogical it might be. I'm tired of trying to say otherwise, so I'm done.

Have fun bashing IGN. And welcome to the site; I'm sure your positive attitude and good sense of humor will fit in nice around here.

Uh hello? They had a trailer showing all these new features I was talking about.

O RLY? A trailer? I had no idea. If they had a trailer, all must be right with the world because we all know how accurate trailers are *cough*Killzone*cough*. Trailers are like statistics. You can make them say anything you want and 87% percent of them are made up on the spot.

With games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, a demo is pretty much worthless considering the base gameplay will stay the same.

A demo shows that the game is playable. It also allows people to see and use the new features. Not allowing others, not even the press who will be talking about the games, to play GH:WT this close to release shows that there may be something wrong with it and the release date may slip/features may get cut. However, if GH:WT is as innovative as you say then a demo would be most definately be benificial since you are claiming they are changing the face of this genre.

We all know that RB2 is more of an expansion than a true sequel. One thing we also know that Activision is not well known for innovation, so I wouldn't count on these new "features" being anything other than minor tweaks to the gameplay that really aren't groundbreaking. For example, adding a extra drum pad to the kit is not really innovation. It's one-upmanship.

You came into the RB2 forum, not to talk about RB2, but just to bash on IGN. That's ridiculous. We don't care about your feelings on IGN enough to warrant an entire thread dedicated to your rantings. If you want to discuss RB2, good or bad, then feel free to discuss the game all you want, but this thread is just stupid as is.

Edited by TwistedFate

They even gave Rock Band 2 best of E3 for music games over Guitar Hero World Tour, which clearly showed more innovation and a bigger step forward than Rock Band 2 did.
Ok, I could be missing something but what exactly is GH:WT innovating anyways? I mean, sure, the drums and vocals are new to GH, but they're a blatant rip-off of Rock Band in the first place. And for the potential that these changes might be fantastic even though no one could try them, IGN shouldn't post a story about Rock Band 2's track list? I know GH is adding that make a track feature, but other than that and the instruments nothing much is confirmed, not even the full track list. Once again, I could be off base and missing something and if I am, I apologize, but I'm really failing to see the big innovations that haven't, you know, already been done by Harmonix.

And besides, Activision didn't even attend E3, so how could their game have won best rhythm game from IGN or whatever? :p They did do a press conference during the time of E3, but they weren't at the show.

And how am I a GHWT fanboy? I own Rock Band and I plan on at least renting Rock Band 2. If anything, my opinion is very credible considering I've given both games a large amount of my time and my gamerscore on each of my Guitar Hero games and Rock Band games can prove that. I've experienced what each game has to offer and have my opinions on them. To call me a fanboy is completely childish.
I own both Rock Band and GH2 and GH3, as do many posters here. I've also beat all three games on expert (guitar track at least) and as such I've certainly put plenty of time and earned plenty of gamerscore from both franchises and I'm *definitely* a Rock Band fangirl. To come in to the Rock Band forum, bash on IGN and extol the virtues of the as-yet-unplayed GH:WT smacks of fanboy-ism. It's not an insult, though. It's ok to be a fanboy. :p It also doesn't make your opinion less credible. It just means you show a preference toward one or the other and really, that's fine. Most of us do.

And as to the general point of bias. Yes, they are biased. All magazines/websites are. It's the nature of the beast. Reviews cannot by their nature be objective since each person experiences the subject of the review in their own way. I found Goldeneye to be fun, but I wouldn't give it a 10 out of 10. You would. We each have our biases and so does each staffer at IGN. Wait and see how they react to the GH:WT tracklist before passing judgement on their bias or lack thereof.

The Rock Band DLC is mentioned because it is a weekly regular news story that people are accustomed to visiting sites like IGN to read about. The ocassional crumb Activision throws us? Not so much press since it doesn't happen as often. I don't check IGN much, but the sites I check do give equal press to both. Thing is, if you happen to miss the random day a GH DLC pack comes out, there may not be a similar story for a while, so it'll seem like an even bigger lag.

Edited by Matrarch

Okay... I don't have the patience to make a long post. Playing a game and seeing it in action makes it easier to say good things about it. GH:WT only possible innovation is the music creation and that has already been hinted on by HMX in Amplitude and Frequency. Don't use a game thread to bash a gaming website, because, it's impossible not to have a biased gaming website. Yes, before you start picking apart this post, I'm a RB fanboy, but I still play GH3, I enjoy it.

I just find it ironic that IGN goes out of their way to pretty much give us a few paragraphs on all the songs of the game in an article while they barely write a few sentences for GH3 DLC if they even mention it.

GH3 DLC is a joke. Released mainly in packs and not both packs and singles is a terrible idea. Granted they did give away a pack of Dropkick Murphys for free, and all of them have been master tracks; that doesn't change that it can be done a lot better. If they are now getting a full band into the picture for their games thanks to Rock Band, they should also take note of DLC.

a blatant rip-off of Rock Band in the first place.

Exactly. Do you think Activision would be coming out with GH:WT if Harmonix hadn't made Rock Band last year? Rock Band was the real innovator adding the whole band, and GH took their idea. And don't say Harmonix took the idea for a guitar game from GH because they made GH I and II. I'm pretty sure that if Harmonix had just taken the easy way out and made a guitar game last year, GH would just be spawning the same old guitar game again this year.

Exactly. Do you think Activision would be coming out with GH:WT if Harmonix hadn't made Rock Band last year? Rock Band was the real innovator adding the whole band, and GH took their idea. And don't say Harmonix took the idea for a guitar game from GH because they made GH I and II. I'm pretty sure that if Harmonix had just taken the easy way out and made a guitar game last year, GH would just be spawning the same old guitar game again this year.

Wrong! Rock Band ripped it off from Konami, hence the lawsuit. So Rock Band is not the real innovator, Konami is. At least that's what Konami states.

Both GH:WT and RB 2 have their own good features and own flaws. No need to bash the other game when they're both worth the money you spend on them. Just play whichever one you want and leave it at that.

Edited by BBallFBallFan24

Wrong! Rock Band ripped it off from Konami, hence the lawsuit. So Rock Band is not the real innovator, Konami is.

Both GH:WT and RB 2 have their own good features and own flaws. No need to bash the other game when they're both worth the money you spend on them. Just play whichever one you want and leave it at that.

What GuitarFreaks and Drum Mania? That's like saying every first person shooter featuring a space marine ripped of the first FPS. I'm talking about the whole band experience in one game. And those were arcade games, couldn't play them in the comfort of your own home that easily.

What GuitarFreaks and Drum Mania? That's like saying every first person shooter featuring a space marine ripped of the first FPS. I'm talking about the whole band experience in one game. And those were arcade games, couldn't play them in the comfort of your own home that easily.

I'm just saying if you want to blame GH: WT for ripping off Rock Band, you need to say that Rock Band ripped off Konami. Doesn't matter if you could play them in your house or not, Konami patented that idea so it's their idea. Now if Konami will win the lawsuit I don't know as I'm not keeping up with it.

Doesn't really matter to me who started the whole thing. I'm more and likely gonna end up playing all three, GH: WT, Rock Band 2, Rock Revolution. Who cares who started it first. Just enjoy the games.

Doesn't really matter to me who started the whole thing. I'm more and likely gonna end up playing all three, GH: WT, Rock Band 2, Rock Revolution. Who cares who started it first. Just enjoy the games.

You are my hero:drunkThis is exactly how I see things. I could care less if a website bashes or praises a game. It doesnt effect me...AT ALL...honestly just drop it and enjoy the games...if you don't like it, don't play it. It's THAT SIMPLE!;)

Sorry to not post anything important or constuctive here, but its 3 a.m. and I'm too tired to do that....just thought this was funny....

Funny, it's always the ones who call others hypocrites that really are the hypocrites.

Seeing as how you said that, you just inadvertantly called Dex a hypocrite, which, acording to your logic, makes Dex's state about you being a hypocrite 100% agreeable.....as you called yourself one:p

God I love my illogical way of seeing things logically....

And if you didn't understand that.....well, you're boned, cuz I ain't gonna bother explaining the illogically logical to the logical.:woop:

GH:WT is hardly innovative!

A poor replica of Rock Band by a company with no musical sense whatsoever. This make-your-own song bullshit looks awful, again proving that they shouldn't make music games if they're musically inept. They're trying too hard because they're afraid of losing out money to Rock Band, which is clearly the better game. I'm sorry, i've been fans of both, and RB > GH.

I'm normally much more accepting of people's opinions, and maybe this is the two hours sleep and medication talking, but it's clearly just superior. Everything i've seen about people preferring GH it's mainly crap reasons. The only semi-legitimate reason is that people want more of a challenge and can get that with GH. But that's because they ridiculously overchart - because for some reason every effect that they cannot replicate should just be more notes yeah?! - and make musically illogical note changes, &c.

If you want to play a music game, RB > *

GH:WT is hardly innovative!

A poor replica of Rock Band by a company with no musical sense whatsoever. This make-your-own song bullshit looks awful, again proving that they shouldn't make music games if they're musically inept. They're trying too hard because they're afraid of losing out money to Rock Band, which is clearly the better game. I'm sorry, i've been fans of both, and RB > GH.

I'm normally much more accepting of people's opinions, and maybe this is the two hours sleep and medication talking, but it's clearly just superior. Everything i've seen about people preferring GH it's mainly crap reasons. The only semi-legitimate reason is that people want more of a challenge and can get that with GH. But that's because they ridiculously overchart - because for some reason every effect that they cannot replicate should just be more notes yeah?! - and make musically illogical note changes, &c.

If you want to play a music game, RB > *

Sounds like a fanboy opinion.

But unbiased, I do believe IGN is a biased website. Not only towards the music games, but towards everything. But I do agree that E3 is about innovation, but GHWT didn't show much. Even though rockband is the same gameplay, they confirmed there setlist, so everyone is giving RB the music E3 votes. GHWT is showing there setlist little by little, and with Linkin Park, SoaD, Ozzy, Zakk Wylde, Sammy Hagar, Ted Nugent, Lenny Kravitz (it was in the trailer, so it is 99% most likely to be in the game), Michael Jackson, and Jimi Hendrix confirmed, it isn't looking bad. But they didn't confirm these artists at E3 so nobody had anything to go by, and that isn't opinion, it's fact. I personally think the drums will be better for GHWT than RB, nut without play, no one knows how fragile they are or if they are sensitive or not.

And for GHWT copying off of RB, who did they copy off of. They both designed the music game, then split. Both took the idea of vocals from games like KR and singstar. Then GH was just gonna have a drumming game, but decided to make a band game instead. And RB took the idea of symbols from GHWT.

And remember GH came out with the Green, Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange noted guitar that RB started using. So neither are copies of each other necessarily because they were both working on the same game then split up.

Also no one knows exactly how the music creation feature will work, so don't call it crap until you have seen it yourself, not from some made up video.

BTW fanboys quit posting because you have no right to dog on someone else calling them biased for calling ign biased when you are down-right biased yourself.

Edited by BAD BLOOD BIGGY

Also no one knows exactly how the music creation feature will work, so don't call it crap until you have seen it yourself, not from some made up video.

will probably reply to the rest of this tomorrow but im pretty tired. Anyway!

There was a video from E3 of a guy from Neversoft showing EXACTLY how the music creation works.

And yes, it looks pretty poor. It's not really music creation so much as laptop DJ'ing. As a musician, i want to be able to create music, and these games aren't close enough to getting there yet, especially on the guitars.

Activision and Neversoft are trying too hard. And what's with this create-a-song shit? Picking scales? Setting measures? This is fucking Guitar Hero, not music class. Just make it easier for the GH community to manually input custom songs like we were before and everything's all good!

Sure, Rock Band 2 doesn't bring anything new to the table, but GH:WT is an obvious rip-off, and I'm far more excited to play Rock Band 2. No new peripherals, 100+ songs, completely revamped game modes... September 14th can't come fast enough

I've completely lost my faith in the Guitar Hero franchise. First, a shittacular DS game that gives you carpal tunnel, and now drums and vocals? What game are you trying to play, guys? It's called GUITAR HERO FOR A REASON.

Activision and Neversoft are trying too hard. And what's with this create-a-song shit? Picking scales? Setting measures? This is fucking Guitar Hero, not music class. Just make it easier for the GH community to manually input custom songs like we were before and everything's all good!

Sure, Rock Band 2 doesn't bring anything new to the table, but GH:WT is an obvious rip-off, and I'm far more excited to play Rock Band 2. No new peripherals, 100+ songs, completely revamped game modes... September 14th can't come fast enough

I've completely lost my faith in the Guitar Hero franchise. First, a shittacular DS game that gives you carpal tunnel, and now drums and vocals? What game are you trying to play, guys? It's called GUITAR HERO FOR A REASON.

I really don't know how you can make create a song mode easy, with the option of making a song almost identical to a real life song. Now if you want to just make some cool song like a garageband song, I understand. But that is how you create a real song (pitch, flats, sharps) and that's what Guitar Hero is going for. I play real guitar and I can read music. So I'm looking forward to it.