The Official: " I need help with a fighter" Thread

Lavindathar

Welcome to the 'I need help with a fighter' thread, your place to ask for tips, strategies, matchup guides, combo help, ANYTHING at all relating to the fighter of your choice in Killer Instinct.

I'll go first....

I started off using Jago, and did really well with him. Offline, Ranked and Exhibition, I seemed to dominate.

I've started using SW now, and even despite landing massive combos, his damage just isn't there. I'll land 20 hit combos and do relatively little damage, and get countered with a small combo from another character and get nailed.

Also, why is SW so easy to counter. His run moves are too easy, I get countered every combo involving run as you know if its light/medium/heavy, where as other characters are more disguised.

I dunno, I'm just really struggling with this guy. I land more hits, I land bigger combos, yet I'm being beaten by smaller combos and the fact Im always countered (yet hardly countered with Jago).

What confuses me more, is I jumped in practice, and my combos are doing between 40-80% damage, but this just isn't happening online.

And I can only use the moves at my disposable, they're just all too easy to read and do little damage.

Anyway, you can't help the game mechanics, so how do you guys play as SW?

Edited by Lavindathar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...

1. Sabre's through-dash is one of his best tools. Use it.

2. Use manuals in your combos to avoid getting broken.

3. If you are getting broken a lot, use Counter Breakers when you think your combo will get broke.

4. Sabrewuld has multiple 1 frame juggles that should always be attempted as the opponent is defenceless.

5. Sabrewulf is pure rush-down. No point in trying to keep away or "win the fight in the long run." You need to smother your opponent and not give them time to think.

6. Abuse the throw mechanic.

7. Slide under fireballs.

8. Always end combos with an Ender.

He's actually making me want to abandon the game. I honestly cba, and I rarely say that.

He's completely useless compared to the other characters. I can rush down all I like, but I always getting countered. And then sure, I can try to counter-breaker, but predicting that is futile, as I know the other guy is just mashing his counter buttons, Ive no idea when its going to go through.

The dash is awesome, but his run is pretty useless, and Eclipse only seems good as an Ender. Fighting against people who use Sadira, and spam her tram, hes useless.

Edited by Lavindathar

He's actually making me want to abandon the game. I honestly cba, and I rarely say that.

He's completely useless compared to the other characters. I can rush down all I like, but I always getting countered. And then sure, I can try to counter-breaker, but predicting that is futile, as I know the other guy is just mashing his counter buttons, Ive no idea when its going to go through.

The dash is awesome, but his run is pretty useless, and Eclipse only seems good as an Ender. Fighting against people who use Sadira, and spam her tram, hes useless.

You gotta get a combo going and make sure to use your linkers. I managed a 42% damage in the 1st round however I did have to plan on a counter breaker.....

If any character is gonna make you quit it should be Glacius as I don't get him at all.... damn ice attacks are ranged yet you use them up close idk I just suck.

The trick to beating a good Glacius player is to stay out of his unblockable openers. Which is very possible when you learn the 3 ranges. I can reduce a skilled Glacius player to nothing using a simple keep away approach with Jago. Got some serious hate mail over it too.

Remember, Glacius can't dash and has slow as fuck walk speed, but is an incredible zoner if you know what you're doing.

You gotta get a combo going and make sure to use your linkers. I managed a 42% damage in the 1st round however I did have to plan on a counter breaker.....

If any character is gonna make you quit it should be Glacius as I don't get him at all.... damn ice attacks are ranged yet you use them up close idk I just suck.

Thats the thing, I am using the combos properly, and my best so far is 83% in ranked. However, most of the time they just break them, and its too hard to predict.

Yet, I seem to be countered everytime. Like seriously, every combo. However, when I playing and go for a counter, I always make the wrong choice and get locked out.

I'm playing mainly low ranks, as my rank tanked when I started using SW and I went from 7 to 1. I geniunely think they are just button mashing, but hey, who knows.

The problem is his double auto, thats usually what gets broken, but stopping using that is a major pain to my damage output. But, I've only been playing the game for about 4hrs total, so I don't know how to use manuals instead of autos.

I'm getting better, back up to Rank 3 now. And as usual, only person I can't beat/find is Sadira.

Edited by Lavindathar

Remember a Manual is also harder to break. Seeing as how the majority button mash they'll almost always get lockedout

The trick to beating a good Glacius player is to stay out of his unblockable openers. Which is very possible when you learn the 3 ranges. I can reduce a skilled Glacius player to nothing using a simple keep away approach with Jago. Got some serious hate mail over it too.

Remember, Glacius can't dash and has slow as fuck walk speed, but is an incredible zoner if you know what you're doing.

Thanks so much for that.

Edited by Teh Paralyzer

Remember a Manual is also harder to break. Seeing as how the majority button mash they'll almost always get lockedout

But how do you manual as opposed to auto when you've done an opener/linker?

One button then becomes an auto.

All done with Sabrewulf now, bar 200 matches and 150 titles. I actually got better towards the end, but still. he sucks compared to Jago.

Edited by Lavindathar

But how do you manual as opposed to auto when you've done an opener/linker?

One button then becomes an auto.

All done with Sabrewulf now, bar 200 matches and 150 titles. I actually got better towards the end, but still. he sucks compared to Jago.

That's the problem you gotta stick to moves than can end in one. I totally get your frustration with him. Glad to see you're done with him.

I started Glacius tonight. I like him. Funny thing is, I ended up quite good with Sabrewulf by the time I finished last night.

Problem with that, is the unblockable has a massive lead-in time, its too easy to spot. That, and 90% of players dont stand still long enough for it to connect. I much prefer Hail for keeping them at bay, then letting them charge me and be ready for it.

I'm actually having trouble with Glacius, but unlike Sabrewulf I'm pretty darn good with Glacius. The trouble I'm having, is it seems you have to input his moves a lot slower than all the others. I've never had this trouble with Jago or SW, but far too many of my moves are not registering. Probably more than is registering. If I slow it down, its fine, but I cant afford to slow it down in ranked online.

Jago has the same moveset with his Wind Kick, and the speed I input is fine with him, just not with Glacius. It's costing me dear atm.

OK, the thing with Glacius' unblockables is not to catch and opponent standing still, but to force your opponent unknowingly into the correct range for it to hit. Use hail combined with unblockables is the way to go. Once in a unblockable, you can draw your opponent towards you. When in close enough (half screen) initiate a shoulder charge and let the chaos begin. Glasius is a lot of fun to zone with. Really.

OK, the thing with Glacius' unblockables is not to catch and opponent standing still, but to force your opponent unknowingly into the correct range for it to hit. Use hail combined with unblockables is the way to go. Once in a unblockable, you can draw your opponent towards you. When in close enough (half screen) initiate a shoulder charge and let the chaos begin. Glasius is a lot of fun to zone with. Really.

I started to get good by the end, although I did have a bad streak. I got too high in rank, and started meeting the high level pros, who kinda owned me. After a tanking and dropping rank, I started to climb pretty quick again.

I do use his unblockables like you said, but I don't use hail as you described. My general tactic is to use hail to keep them at full screen. I don't want them coming close, until I want them too. Characters like Sabre and Orchid get impatient, and will attempt the slide. I just cancel hail into his puddle punch, and usually always catches them. Jagos windkick however seems to beat this method.

For the guys who like to close over hail from full to mid, thats ok for me as well, I go with the ->MP,MP,MP into a massive combo...the range is insane. The only problem I have is when I get cornered. Puddle punch cancelled into hail is ok, but apart from that, Glacius can be locked down really easy.

Oh well, start on Thunder tomorrow. Not that excited. can't wait to get to Orchid, and espcially Sahira though!

probably been said but if you do not use an ender on your combo it does very little to no damage. I learned this the hard way with glacius. at one point I have 30 hits and it did 10% damage.

I always use an ender, it won't be that. Only time I don't is when I have to cancel/backdash to avoid what I thinks coming.

Another thing I noticed with Sabrewulf is that if you use the slide under form the run your blowout meter fills up in like 6 hit and even with an ender you do almost zero damage.

This however, is possible. I didn't notice this. Is it caused by the slide or the run? Run is a big opener for me with SW, alternating between all three. Maybe if im getting cut very short on the combos, this could be the reason.

I'm also asking a mod to change the title of the thread, and maybe we can discuss tips for ALL fighters etc. I'll ask to change to something like -

The official "I need help with a fighter" thread

This however, is possible. I didn't notice this. Is it caused by the slide or the run? Run is a big opener for me with SW, alternating between all three. Maybe if im getting cut very short on the combos, this could be the reason.

I'm also asking a mod to change the title of the thread, and maybe we can discuss tips for ALL fighters etc. I'll ask to change to something like -

The official "I need help with a fighter" thread

In my experience it is just the slide that causes your meter to skyrocket, even using in the middle of a combo it will increase more than almost any other linker I have seen.

Another thing I noticed with Sabrewulf is that if you use the slide under form the run your blowout meter fills up in like 6 hit and even with an ender you do almost zero damage.

And so it should. It's a very fast, low hitting opener/cross up that can be spammed hard. Lets not even get started on his 'through dash'.

Glacius can be locked down really easy.

Yes. Yes he can be locked down, but.. His throw has huge reset.

Not disputing it, just pointing out IMO that is why people think they do so little damage with SW when they first start out.

Oh no, not arguing or even debating it. Just saying.. I too noticed exactly what you were saying, but I think there is good reasoning behind it :)

True, though. By the time you use the slide move, any other damage you do won't be much before your Blow Out meter fills. It's a strong part of his arsenal, but can be (combo) broken with ease. I think the trick is don't spam it so your opponent expects it and never do it twice in the one combo because you'll find it will probably get broken.

Mixing it up with SW's dash through and you have yourself a very hard to hit mutt!

Lav, with each new character I would think the same thing, but then would eventually get on a hot streak with literally every character. If you're goingin a certain order your mind gets used to one player so the adjustment can bejarring. The combination of de-ranking/practice against good players, pluslearning a character's strengths will lead to victory.

Sadira was the most lop-sided for me. I won my first match, lost the nextseven or so, and then won consistently up to 20 wins (with a 7 win streakthrown in there). Stay calm and stay confident (hypocritical statement comingfrom me since I always get very angry and very pessimistic while playing)

Lav, with each new character I would think the same thing, but then would eventually get on a hot streak with literally every character. If you're goingin a certain order your mind gets used to one player so the adjustment can bejarring. The combination of de-ranking/practice against good players, pluslearning a character's strengths will lead to victory.

Sadira was the most lop-sided for me. I won my first match, lost the nextseven or so, and then won consistently up to 20 wins (with a 7 win streakthrown in there). Stay calm and stay confident (hypocritical statement comingfrom me since I always get very angry and very pessimistic while playing)

Same thing for me. First few wins would take a while and then I'd go on a roll and knock them out. Funny thing is I had a similar experience with sadira. Won my first, lost 16 of next 20. Then won 8 in a row, then the last 7 took about 10-12 matches. All I have is sabrewulf left and need 16 wins. Don't think it'll be too difficult with him.