Gamers choice:Console/VS achievements/ VS optimum quality/ VS loyalty

BTroxell

I will be getting it for the 360 since I get all o my Multi-Platform games on the 360. I use the PS3 just for exclusives.

FF13 has been the only time I have had to actually think about what system I am getting a game on.

P.S. I have nothing against the PS3, I play it all the time.

Yeah I usually do the same on that too, but seeing that FF13 Versus is planned to be PS3-exclusive, I might tend towards PS3 on this one. Plus, the achievements/trophies look hard, so I wouldn't really mind missing on the achievements since I wouldn't have to worry about them, thus enjoying the game for the story rather than thinking about not missing any chievos.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get FF13 for the PS3. There are only 2 reasons to get it for 360 and they are achievements and to talk to your friends on xbox live. Why would you surpass quality for these reasons? Granted Pants has an excellent point and I agree with him, I think FF13 will sell great on 360 regardless looking at the replies to this thread. I only own a 360 so I am obviously going to buy it on the 360 but this game has almost convinced me to buy a PS3. (If they release the special edition FF13 PS3 in the US then it's a done deal)

Unfortunately for my 360, my neglected PS3 will be getting the love on this one. But allow me to break it down by things I don't care about:

1)Multiple discs (didn't bother me much on PS1 or with Lost Odyssey, so it shouldn't bother now unless there is that backtracking issue)

2)Achievements.

-Blasphemy, I know as I am an achiv whore myself (Avatar TBE as proof). But achievements for JRPG's are just grueling for the most part and I think in this case it actually may take some enjoyment away from me when I try and go for them. I will feel less obligated to do something incredibly difficult and be allowed to just enjoy the experience. I personally am not a huge fan of trophies but they will at least give me bragging rights if I just happen to kill Ozma (FF9 players know this assh*le globe in chocobo heaven) as proof. I think this is the first multiplatform game im getting for PS3

3) Party Chat: I really wouldn't be down for this because I don't want my friend screaming in my ear about how he was just nuked in MW2 while im trying to listen to important story dialogue. Xbox Live doesn't win this round.

4)Brand loyalty: You buy a game to enjoy it on some degree. If you get more enjoyment by getting achivs and whatnot, then 360 is your flavor of choice. Whereas myself, a connoisseur of fine Final Fantasy games, would prefer a more quality experience that will be offered on the PS3. (A port is a port).

5) Controller Familiarity: Yeah the triggers on PS3 suck BUT check out THIS, these things are awesome and are only $4.99 USD. This isn't a shooter game so this controller will do just fine and the d-pad is far superior which will prolly have some significant control (import players can comment on that). If you play it enough, you'll get used to it. Think about the first time some of you played the N64 when it first came out, I had no clue where my hands went, but by playing it enough it becomes 2nd nature.

Anyways, supposedly, which most likely a huge fat lie of a rumor, but PS3 is getting exclusive DLC. I heard that through word of mouth so I don;t know its validity, if any. But I refuse to take the risk. I know it seems like im all over the PS3 trying to make it sound better, but I honestly prefer my 360 in pretty much every aspect, with the exception that it was built by blind monkeys...that are dumb, but a better put together game or still at least a well one with a few additions.

Either way at least get this on any system.

And you know that secret small club that enjoyed FF12 alot, yeah im in there like swimwear. Haters gotta adapt son.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad this thread exists because I came into this section of the forum to see if there was any discussion going on about this.

I've had the 360 for a little over two years now. I'm approaching 100,000 gamerscore. I've had the PS3 for a little over one year. So far I own over 100 Xbox 360 games and only about 20 PS3 exclusives. I've had FFXIII preordered for 360 for at least six months, thinking it was a no-brainer for the achievements.

That said however, the last year has really changed my opinions of this generation. I'm seriously contemplating getting FFXIII for the PS3 now, and that would make it my first multiplatform game purchase for the system. A number of things have got me considering it, but here's a brief synopsis;

1. I Truly believe that at this exact point in time, the PS3 is the better console. I was hardcore Xbox360 for a long time. I defended it not necessarily like a fanboy, but I certainly applied copious skepticism to everything Sony did. However I must say that despite being one of the biggest Mass Effect and Left 4 Dead fans on the planet, the PS3's exclusives are better than Xbox 360's. I don't need to list them all, but in my opinion, they certainly beat Fable, Halo, and Gears. PSN is very quickly catching up to Live. MAG is an awesome game for which 360 has no answer. The Playstation Store is lightyears ahead of XBLA. Add Blu Ray and soon-to-come cross-game chat and it's my new favoured system.

2. I can do without achievements just this once I think. The primary reason I get games for Xbox and not PS3 is achievements, obviously. I also prefer the Xbox controller, but the top reason is I have a much larger investment in achievements than I do trophies (to which I am addicted, albeit only for those PS3 exclusives). My Gamerscore at the time of this post is about 94,000. I think I can miss one game that I likely won't 1000 anyways.

3. Quality, compression, and mulitple discs. While the compression debate likely has negligible impact on the game overall, games with multiple discs really irk me. Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect 2, etc. I dealt with it, but I didn't like it. Multiple install discs are fine with me (Forza 3, Oblivion GOTY), but swapping them during play is not my cup of tea. I'll take the nice gorgeous Blu Ray single disc, thanks. The overall quality of the game however is still to be discovered. The PS3 usually gets the worse copy of multiplat games (texture issues, bugs, etc), but this game was made for the PS3 and is uncompressed.

4. Series continuity on a single platform. I'm a collector-gamer. I have hundreds of games, and they're all organized alphabetically. It annoys me that I have Metal Gear Solid in a PS1 jewel case, 2 and 3 in PS2 DVD cases, and then 4 in a smaller PS3 case. I'm that guy, yeah. I will obviously be buying Final Fantasy Versus XIII for the PS3 (no choice) so the collector in me says it would be better to just own both on the same platform. Granted I own FFXI for 360, but we're going to ignore that.

At the end of the day I think this game is just, for me personally, finally admitting to myself that in my eyes (certainly not everyone's) the PS3 has become the better system. When FFXIII was announced for 360 at E3 2008 I was watching Live. I was just as stunned as the audience. At that time it certainly seemed like a nail in the proverbial Sony coffin. But they've quickly caught up, and in my opinion, surpassed. I never would have guessed, now 20 months later, that I'd end up getting it on PS3 anyways.

Vendetta, you should've at least posted a link to it. I'll save you the trouble, though. While these may be blurry as heck, the guy from Digital Foundry breaks it down for the 360 version:

1024x576

That thread on Gaf has been locked but they put up a comparison thread

Ooops kinda forgot to do that lol. :p

Here is the link to the kotaku article as well. They even make a comment on it at the end lol.

http://kotaku.com/5475017/these-are-the-xbox-360-final-fantasy-xiii-shots-you-were-looking-for

...all my friwends will be on 360. i prefer the integration of all the 360's features than that of PS3. On PS3, chatting and gaming is harder than on 360.

achievements. i prefer them to trophies.

Mostly what it is for me. On achievements, they actually give out a number value which, imo, helps to determine how hard it actually was to get, while a gold trophy could be hard for one game, and something easy on another (though it's considered hard in that game). I do try to keep achievements out the decision though, I even got FFXI for the pc instead of 360. I also, personally don't care about multi-discs, if anything though, it reminds me of the good old days on games like Tales of Symphonia

(ps. Sheena (from ToS) was hot. I don't care what you say, you can't deny that.)