Started out fun, but...

BlackDragon

Feels like this game is losing appeal fast. I had great fun with it at first, but the deeper into the dungeon I get, the more dull it gets. It's mostly the 'scaling enemies'. By now, every random Skeleton has 250-300 HP, and I'm not all THAT much faster at removing it that I used to be back when that was boss-level HP. Every battle becomes a 50-turn slog as I wear them down bit by bit, mostly with my 9-hp-per-turn Poison. And there's very little difference between one battle and the next. None of them have a prayer of beating me, it just takes FOREVER to win, and when I have to fight 5 times on the way to my next destination, it just feels like a long, dull, grind, rather than actual entertainment.

Worse, I've come to dread every level-up - I don't feel appreciably stronger, but I know every enemy will bulk up with even MORE HP, making every battle even MORE of an endless slog. :(

So yeah... this game had a lot of promise, and I'd probably play it all the way through to 100% completion if it wasn't for that damn enemy-scaling. Instead, I'm moving on to something less dull. Crackdown 2 just came out, and my copy should be in the mail tomorrow. Best of luck to the rest of you - may you reach your ultimate goal, if your patience reach that far...

Feels like this game is losing appeal fast. I had great fun with it at first, but the deeper into the dungeon I get, the more dull it gets. It's mostly the 'scaling enemies'. By now, every random Skeleton has 250-300 HP, and I'm not all THAT much faster at removing it that I used to be back when that was boss-level HP. Every battle becomes a 50-turn slog as I wear them down bit by bit, mostly with my 9-hp-per-turn Poison. And there's very little difference between one battle and the next. None of them have a prayer of beating me, it just takes FOREVER to win, and when I have to fight 5 times on the way to my next destination, it just feels like a long, dull, grind, rather than actual entertainment.

Worse, I've come to dread every level-up - I don't feel appreciably stronger, but I know every enemy will bulk up with even MORE HP, making every battle even MORE of an endless slog. :(

So yeah... this game had a lot of promise, and I'd probably play it all the way through to 100% completion if it wasn't for that damn enemy-scaling. Instead, I'm moving on to something less dull. Crackdown 2 just came out, and my copy should be in the mail tomorrow. Best of luck to the rest of you - may you reach your ultimate goal, if your patience reach that far...

I think that is the general consensus for most who have played the game. I found it getting dull myself after the second dungeon which is the same thing with different enemies and backgrounds with longer drawn out battles. They took out a lot of the variety that was in the first game which broke up the monotony.

I had to play the game in bursts. When I first started I had no issues putting in 4 hours at a time. Now I'm lucky to get two without doing something else. I found playing another game in between definitely helps you come back to the game...eventually heh. Good luck to all indeed.

I also have to agree. There's no denying it's a cracking little game, but it really does grind into tedium fast, mainly, as you say, due to the enemy scaling. I do however find that the "just one more fight" mentality that gripped me in the original is still prevelant in this one. I put it on to do a few battles and it's 2 hours later and I'm still saying "just one more more". A double edged sword I think this game.

Aye, pretty much the same experience here. Later on in the game I have found it to swing back again when I was able to deal with enemies much quicker and had fun maximising the items/equipment but like yourself I just dread going into a connecting corridor and seeing some easy boring-samey 400HP battle in the way. Still look forward to when the new enemies pop up though.

Saying that I do find myself looking forward to picking it up when I haven't played for a few hours and I'll be trying out all the classes once I'm done with my Barbarian for a bit of variety. Doesn't quite have the 'wow' factor of the first game but is head and shoulders above Galactrix and many other arcade games IMO.

Yeah, the game has definately gotten grindy. However, I just finished up FFXIII hunting for Platinum Ingots for 20 hours. This, by comparison, is entertaning. :-p

But there's no way I can do more than 5-7 battles in one sitting. My sorcerer just can't damage enough to avoid it being a 10 minute match each time. Thank god for Poison daggers...

But I think that's the main problem. In the first one, it was a damned slugfest. Doing 200 damage in a series of turns by either player be it AI or Human was completely possible, if not probable.

Now, not so much. Game is really toned down in that method. Makes it boring...

Heh, and here I thought it was just me! At the start, the game seemed to have the potential to be totally awesome. I liked the new feel, and upgrading my gear gave me something to work towards. But yeah, when random fight mobs start to have more than 2x my hp, and take forever to chip away at... it does seem like it could become very tedious. I will try to finish it out tho, just may have to play it sparringly between other games.

At least it isn't as boring as PQ: Galactrix

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if it was just me, as well. I came out of the gate strong, but can only play in relatively short sessions. I'll eventually slog through the full 200, it it will be across many sessions and in between several games!

as with after playing final fantasy 13,

once i finish pq2...

never again

I wanted to disagree, but... yeah. I still need to get the last couple of achievements. I beat it as a lvl50 Assassin, and I dreaded each fight I got into. Not because I may have lost, but because I could NEVER loose.

I was kinda annoyed with FFXIII, but I could see me going back to finish up things there too.

• 4 weeks later...
I also have to agree. There's no denying it's a cracking little game, but it really does grind into tedium fast, mainly, as you say, due to the enemy scaling. I do however find that the "just one more fight" mentality that gripped me in the original is still prevelant in this one. I put it on to do a few battles and it's 2 hours later and I'm still saying "just one more more". A double edged sword I think this game.
The "just one more fight" mentality, as you call it, does work for me.:) But i still think the first game was better and more addictive.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Feels like this game is losing appeal fast. I had great fun with it at first, but the deeper into the dungeon I get, the more dull it gets. It's mostly the 'scaling enemies'. By now, every random Skeleton has 250-300 HP, and I'm not all THAT much faster at removing it that I used to be back when that was boss-level HP. Every battle becomes a 50-turn slog as I wear them down bit by bit, ... , it just feels like a long, dull, grind, rather than actual entertainment.

I came here to post something similar to the op's post but thought I would reply and say this thread and the comments within it really took the words right out of my mouth. This has been one of the most regrettable purchases I have made on Xbox Live so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
The first game was so much fun, but this one just takes forever. I play for a while, then play a new game, then come back to this one. I don't think I could just play this one through without a break.

im starting to feel the same way:( puzzle quest 1 far surpasses this in terms of entertainment:uzi:

• 4 years later...

I had to play the game in bursts. When I first started I had no issues putting in 4 hours at a time. Now I'm lucky to get two without doing something else. I found playing another game in between definitely helps you come back to the game...eventually heh. Good luck to all indeed.

It was definitely fun in short periods. I think you nailed it.

Play for an hour or 2 at a time, then stop for a few days. Spread out your gaming on this and it never really loses the appeal