Achievement Guide & Roadmap - All 3 Episodes

GREETINGS PARTY PEOPLE AND THE PLACE TO BE!!! Welcome to another Achievement Guide & Roadmap. The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief is a console adaptation of a PC point and click adventure published by The Adventure Company in the vein of the classic Sierra and Lucas Arts games of the early to mid ‘90s. If you grew up with the genre and appreciate the point and click, it’s always a treat to play a good new adventure game because they are so few and far between these days.

And The Raven is...a pretty decent adventure game. The story, setting, and characters are well done. If you like Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, or that sort of classic whodunit, you’ll enjoy the plot. The puzzles are well thought out, challenging, but still ground in common sense.

On the downside the controls are extremely and unnecessarily clunky. Instead of having the analog sticks sub for a mouse pointer, your left stick will control your characters’ movement and the right stick lets you cycle through hotspots. Hotspot detection is extremely persnickety and uneven. Sometimes you can interact with an object from clear across a room. Other times you can run right into an object without it triggering. Using your inventory items is also a lot more cumbersome than it needs to be. It’s not an excuse for lousy controls, but at least with an adventure game things are usually relaxed. There’s only a few timed sequences where the lack of precision will actually kill you. Also there is an annoying 5-10 second load time every time you enter a new screen.

Sorry I’m just about done babbling and we’ll start the guide in earnest. The price point for The Raven is a bit unusual. It’s divided up into 3 episodes at 10 bucks a pop. The points are spread unevenly throughout the episodes but you’ll end up spending $30 bucks for 400 points. I can understand that being too steep for a lot of people. If you’re starved for a good adventure game or easy points, by all means go ahead and download all 3 episodes. Otherwise wait until this is a deal of the week or on sale.

Most importantly MaGtRo has been good enough to write an excellent walkthrough and has given us permission to link it here.

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcRr/Raven/TheRaven.htm

He's already done all the heavy lifting for you, so cheers. But as with any adventure game, try not to abuse the walkthrough. With these types of games you get a nice feeling of accomplishment after solving a well designed puzzle all on your own. Originally this guide had really longwinded walkthroughs of the story related puzzles, but lazygammer13 and Ievil Imonkey were correct to point out that I risked ruining that great "A-ha!" moment that makes adventure games so enjoyable. I trimmed back most of the achievement descriptions for the stuff you can't miss. However, this roadmap is going to still contain some spoilers for the missable achievements. I've done my best to give you a heads up with red text when we get to these sections. At any rate I hope you will find my ramblings useful and all of your feedback and criticism is most welcome. And as always if the effects of this roadmap last more than four hours please consult your doctor.

Roadmap

= Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10

= Offline: 28 (400)

= Online: 0

= Approximate amount of time to 400: 10 Hours +/- if you try to do this legit. If you want to be a total achievement mercenary and follow the walkthrough to the letter and not worry about enjoying yourself than you can knock it out in less than 2 hours

= Minimum number of playthroughs: 1

= Number of missable achievements: There are a lot of secret achievements that have to done in certain spots, but you can save and load at your leisure. Just follow roadmap to get a general idea of where the achievements are and what can be missed and you're golden...GOLDEN!!!

= Glitched achievements: Crime Scene Investigator and a few other achievements may become glitchy if you download and play the demo before installing the full game. To be on the safe side, if you ever try a demo for an XBLA game, make sure you delete the demo and clear your cache before installing and playing the full game. This is a common problem with XBLA demos. (Thanks kinjoking!)

= Does difficulty affect achievements: There is no difficulty setting

= Do cheat codes disable achievements: Yes. This game does have a few hint/cheat features you can use if you get stuck. Pressing X will display all the hotspots on the screen and there's a secrets section in your notebook that will give you puzzle solutions. However using these features will subtract from your adventure score which you earn by progressing through the game. Your adventure score is what unlocks bonus materials and you need a high enough score to unlock everything to pop Completionist. If you're desperate for help use MaGtRo's walkthrough instead.

= Extra equipment needed: None!

Step 1: Everything is obtainable in one playthrough if you don't use any of the in game hint systems. The achievements are listed below in the order you will unlock them in. Just be mindful of what's missable. Like any adventure game, save often in multiple save locations as a precaution.

Step 2: Any mop up you might need.

Achievement Guide

CHAPTER 1: THE EYE OF THE SPHINX

The first chapter takes place aboard the Orient Express. You control the paunchy and aging Swiss Constable Anton Jakob Zellner. Zellner is a likeable and capable policeman who unfortunately has had a pretty dull and undistingued career so far. Zellner is also a fan of mystery novels.

14CLiGJhbC9HFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzMAAAAA5+fn+O+S7g==.jpg

Music Lover - 10

You have switched on the radio in the saloon car.

THIS IS MISSABLE! - You can get this right after you take control of Constable Zellner if you like. The saloon car is directly behind where you start out. The radio is behind the bar on the right side. If you wait too long in the chapter to do this, someone will steal the radio antenna and you won't be able to use the radio anymore.

1oCLiGJhbC9GFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzIAAAAA5+fn+Q9qfQ==.jpg

Accurate Detective - 20

You have analyzed the fingerprints on the window.

THIS IS MISSABLE! - While you are behind the bar, use the pencil you can pick up on the scissors laying on the bar. This will make some graphite shavings you can pick up. When you are finally able to get into Professor Lucien's compartment, use these shaving on the left window to dust for prints. Whoever made these marks was wearing gloves so that's not very useful for our investigation but yay! Achievement!

1ICLiGJhbC9FFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzEAAAAA5+fn+y5jyA==.jpg

Humble Helper - 20

You have found the baroness' purse.

***SPOILER ALERT***

THIS IS MISSABLE! (Thanks URK Show!) - David Kreutzer, the violinist, is the thief and the purse is in his instrument case. Grab a toothpick from a table in the saloon car and use it to jerry rig the window near Kreutzer open. This will make him get up to try to shut it and you can open the case and swipe the purse when he leaves his seat. Be sure to examine the Barnoess' papers before you give the purse back to her.

***END OF SPOILERS***

0oCLiGJhbC9AFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzQAAAAA5+fn-U15Fw==.jpg

Survivor - 10

You have survived the explosion in the freight car.

Story related and cannot be missed!

Edited by Ace Attorney 86

0YCLiGJhbC9CFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzYAAAAA5+fn-oyIMQ==.jpg

Pyromaniac - 10

You have lit 5 matches.

THIS IS MISSABLE! - After the train is stuck in the tunnel cave in head back to the saloon car. Dr. Gebhardt will give you a book of matches to help you see what you are doing in the dark. Picking up something heavy like the axe or fire extinguisher will make Zellner blow out the match he is holding. Also if you try to head to the back of the train to uncouple the cars your match will go out due to the draft in the tunnels. If you efficiently solve this puzzle you won't get the achievement. You somehow have a magical supply of regenerating matches so don't worry about running out.

04CLiGJhbC9BFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn-K2BhA==.jpg

Prometheus - 10

You have built a functioning torch!

0ICLiGJhbC9DFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzcAAAAA5+fn-2xwog==.jpg

Sprinter - 10

You have caught the runaway train!

04CLiGJhbC9MFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wLzgAAAAA5+fn-EtkrA==.jpg

Hero of the Hour - 10

You have saved Matt. You're a hero!

Zellner is all done with the Orient Express and will be following the Eye of the Sphinx abroad the MS Lydia.

14CLiGJhbC8QCxoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzFkAAAAAOfn5-hrOr0=.jpg

Houdini - 10

You have freed yourself from the bonds.

0YCLiGJhbC8VFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wL2EAAAAA5+fn-oTDkw==.jpg

Crime Scene Investigator - 20

You have examined all objects in the baroness' cabin.

THIS IS MISSABLE AND GLITCHY! - Sometimes this will not unlock even if you examine everything you are supposed to. To be on the safe side, save your game right before you go into the Baroness's cabin and do not leave to report your findings to Inspector Legrand until the achievement pops. Some players have reported having better luck popping the achievement the second time if it glitches up on your first attempt by clearing your 360's cache, loading your save game, and going in this exact order kinjoking suggests:

- examine the portholes until exhausted

- examine the drawer and tape (pick up tape)

- picked up feathers under bed

- examine the painting and mannequin

- examine portable bar until exhausted

- examine the alarm

- examine vent until exhausted

- examine luggage and handbag until exhausted

- read diary, did not attempt to pick up but instead pressed B to examine

- took letter.

- got feathers from vase, pressed A to try and put hand down there, then pressed B

- examine bed and blood until Zellner repeats himself

- looked at all items in inventory

- examine door and lock until exhausted

cheevo popped after lock.

14CLiGJhbC9ECBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzIwAAAAAOfn5-hQSAM=.jpg

Forensic Officer - 20

You have exercised care and analyzed the bullets.

04CLiGJhbC8WFQUXXFJQGzBhL2FjaC8wL2IAAAAA5+fn-KXKJg==.jpg

Master Detective (Episode 1) - 50

You've finished episode 1.

CHAPTER 2: ANCESTORY OF LIES

1ICLiGJhbC9GCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzIyAAAAAOfn5-uRuSU=.jpg

Brilliant Mind - 10

You have correctly reconstructed the murder's course of events .

***SPOILER ALERT***

THIS IS MISSABLE! - To get this achievement you have to answer all of Investigator Legrand's questions correctly after you wake up after escaping from Dr. Gebhardt;

1. The shot came from the tape.

2. Audiotape in the medical facility.

3. The doctor in the cabin.

4. I can only speculate.

***END OF SPOILERS***

Zellner has done just about everything he needs to do onboard the MS Lydia now. Next you'll be heading to the Cairo Museum.

1YCLiGJhbC9HCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzIzAAAAAOfn5-pxQbY=.jpg

History Fan - 10

You have examined all the exhibits in the museum's main hall.

THIS IS MISSABLE! - Make sure that you look at all everything in the exhibit hall before you talk to Matt. You have one more chance to pick this up later after the Eye of the Sphinx is stolen, but go ahead and knock it out as soon as you can. The clunky hotspot detector is not going to be doing you any favors with this. Here's what all you need to click on;

- the showcase at bottom left about desert glass

- the pharaoh's dagger display behind Lady Westmacott (look at it twice)

- the showcase to the right of Lady Westmacott re: how the pyramids where built (look at it twice)

- the statue of Akhenaten in the top left corner (look at it twice)

- the figure of Imhotep to the right of the last statue (mire dos veces!)

***SPOILER ALERT***

THE NEXT ACHIEVEMENT IS MISSABLE BUT ALSO CONCERNS NAMING WHO IS THE REAL CULPRIT. CRAP EVEN THE ACHIEVEMENT DESCRIPTION IS A SPOILER. BE CAREFUL READING FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL THE PLOT. YOU GET ONE GUESS BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS LOAD A SAVED GAME OF COURSE. YOU GET TO MAKE YOUR CHOICE WHEN YOU CLIMB UP INTO THE SECRET MUSUEM ATTIC AFTER SOLVING THE DOOR PUZZLE IN THE BASEMENT.

0ICLiGJhbC9ACBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzI0AAAAAOfn5--Tqk8=.jpg

Snooper - 10

You have correctly guessed that the butler is the villain.

THIS IS MISSABLE! - Once you've climbed up into the secret attic of the museum by solving the door mechanism in the basement, examine the chair and handcuffs up in here. You'll be confronted by the Raven and see only a bit of his leg. Zellner will now have one chance to guess who the Raven is. If you've been paying attention to the case so far and realize who has been maintaining a convenient cover to get in proximity of big museum exhibits for the last six months in order to steal the Eyes of the Sphinx, or recognize who has been wearing pinstriped trousers you'll realize that Alfred Inch, the butler, was the culprit along!...DUHHH DUUUH DUUUUHHHHHH!!!

***END OF SPOILERS***

Now you'll be playing as two new characters You'll see the events on the Orient Express, MS Lydia, and Cairo Museum through their point of view. You could accuse The Adventure Company of lazy programming by reusing the same assets, but eh it's pretty interesting to see how the thefts were carried out. One of the new voice actors is pretty terrible though.

0YCLiGJhbC9BCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzI1AAAAAOfn5-4zUtw=.jpg

Master of Disguise - 10

You have disguised as a conductor.

04CLiGJhbC9CCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzI2AAAAAOfn5-wSW2k=.jpg

Good Boy - 10

You have served coffee to the doctor.

0oCLiGJhbC9DCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzI3AAAAAOfn5-3yo-o=.jpg

Traveler - 10

You have found a way to board the ship.

0YCLiGJhbC9MCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzI4AAAAAOfn5-7Vt-Q=.jpg

Master Detective (Episode 2) - 20

You've finished episode 2.

CHAPTER 3: A MURDER OF RAVENS

1oCLiGJhbC9ACRoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzM0AAAAAOfn5-lcUw0=.jpg

Explorer - 10

You have found the baroness' secret compartment.

04CLiGJhbC8VCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzJhAAAAAOfn5-waEMs=.jpg

Know-it-all - 15

You have found out all four animal symbols.

THIS IS MISSABLE - Alex has the option of trying to open the secret compartment knowing only three of four symbols. Make sure you figure out all four before returning to the barnoness's cabin.

- talk to Adil in your cabin, exhaust all of the dialogue tree

- talk to Doctor Gebhardt in the hallway before the saloon, exhaust all of the dialogue tree

- head to the lower deck and read the magazine on the table

- talk to Captain DiConti in the saloon, exhaust all of the dialogue tree

- talk to Lady Westmacott in the saloon, exhaust all of the dialogue tree

- look at the New York poster in the hallway before the saloon

- talk to Adil in your cabin again, exhaust all of the dialogue tree

- Alex will now automatically deduce the animal symbol code and the achievement will unlock

0YCLiGJhbC8WCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzJiAAAAAOfn5-47GX4=.jpg

Witness - 10

You have witnessed Dr. Gebhardt's end.

Now you'll be outside of the Cairo Museum again.

0ICLiGJhbC8XCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzJjAAAAAOfn5--b4e0=.jpg

Animal Lover - 10

You have played with the dog three times.

THIS IS MISSABLE - Use the tennis ball on the little dachshund three times before you start throwing it into the museum to distract the guard. You're almost done with the game now. The remaining achievements are going to come pretty rapid fire.

1YCLiGJhbC8QCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzJkAAAAAOfn5-p5ChQ=.jpg

Discoverer - 10

You have found the entrance to the secret basement!

1ICLiGJhbC8RCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzJlAAAAAOfn5-uZ8oc=.jpg

Climber - 10

You have abseiled to the treasure chamber!

Also abseiled is an outstanding word that is not used nearly enough these days.

1oCLiGJhbC8SCBoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzJmAAAAAOfn5-m4+zI=.jpg

Walking Dead - 10

You have survived the explosion in the treasure chamber!

0YCLiGJhbC9ECRoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzMwAAAAAOfn5-7fsUE=.jpg

Master Detective (Episode 3) - 25

You've finished episode 3.

Pretty good twist at the end huh? I don't think anyone saw that coming.

0oCLiGJhbC9GCRoIG1lSVTBhL2FjaC8wLzMyAAAAAOfn5-0eQGc=.jpg

Completionist - 20

You have unlocked all bonus material!

THIS IS MISSABLE - The bonus materials are unlocked by you solving puzzles and advancing the story via your adventure score. Using the show hotspot (X button) and hint features will cause you to lose adventure score. If you need any help on a puzzle use the walkthrough and roadmap instead. This should pop as you finish the game.

Nice guide and all, but is there any way you can hide some of the spoiler-y parts? I basically figured out half the game from the achievements and achievement guide, and just wanted to know which achievements were missable.

Was going to say the same thing. You can put the solution WITHOUT spoiling the game for people who are looking to get past one particular section.

One example is the Master Detective achievements for Chapter One and Two where you give away the ending to the chapters instead of just saying you get them for completing the chapter after the final scene in the Medical Bay/Cargo Hold or something of that nature.

Are you sure that the Humble Helper achievement in ep1 is unmissable and story related? I got to the cruise section, and the baroness has stated I didn't find her purse, and let's just say, I don't think I will be giving a pure to her anytime soon. I might be wrong and I don't find the purse yet, but that objective was on the train, and I'm no where near that anymore. Thanks in advance.

You are absolutely right. Yes you should have returned the purse on the train. Thanks for the addition. It looked like you had to do this to advance the story but apparently not. I will update the walkthrough and give you a shout out.

> don't think I will be giving a pure to her anytime soon.

bwhaha! yes. yes indeed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

>The Crime Scene Investigator achievement glitched for me as well, despite never having downloaded/tried the demo.

The specific order kinjoking listed somehow worked though, so wanted to say thanks :)

I'll change the description I had for that and give kinjoking credit. Very glad you were able to work through this.

>I know you have 10 hours in the roadmap but about how long would this take if I followed the walkthrough?

If you just follow it to the letter probably no more than 2 hours. MaGtRo did a very good job writing it and I don't think you will miss any achievements following it to the letter.

• 2 weeks later...

so basically what i did was right as i entered her room saved it first then

1.examined portholes fully

2.examined drawer with the audio tape in it fully then picked up the tape

3.picked up feathers under the bed

4.examined painting fully then mannequin then the portable bar fully

5.examined alarm fully

6.examined vent fully

7.examined luggage and handbag fully

8.read the diary do NOT attempt to pick it up yet just press B to examine

9.take the letter with the message about the murderer

10.examine the vase fully then try to put ur hand down it once that doesnt work press B to examine

11.examine the blood on the bed fully until zellnar repeats the same thing over and over again

12.View all items in ur inventory so press B on all of them to hear zellnars thoughs on them

13.examine lock on the door fully

14.attempt to take the diary

15.take the pillowcase out of the vase with the tongs then examine the pillowcase in ur inventory and it should pop up

also i also have no idea if this affects the achievement pop in anyway but i didnt press A to fast forward the dialogue at all while doing this so if u wanna be sure itll work dont speed the dialogue up

• 6 months later...
Great guide but this game takes way longer than 2 hours even with a guide and I have been skipping all dialogue.

I havent finished the first episode yet and im already at 3,5 hour. Im playing with the guide but everything is so damn slow in this game. It will probably take around 12 hours with a guide and maybe 15-16 without guide.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know the exact minimum number of adventure points (or whatever they're called) required for the Completionest Achievement?

Edit: Nevermind, I'll just never use hints and I should be fine, right?

Also, I just unlocked Crime Scene Investigator on my first try. I think either the glitch ahs been patched or I'm just one of the lucky few. Nevertheless, here is the order I went in (it's more or less the same as the one Ace Attorney mentioned in the guide). I:

- examined the portholes until exhausted

- examined luggage (only once)

- examined the drawer and tape (pick up tape)

- picked up feathers under bed

- examined the painting and mannequin

- examined portable bar until exhausted

- examined the alarm

- examined vent until exhausted

- returned to luggage and handbag and examined until exhausted

- read diary, did not attempt to pick up but instead pressed B to examine

- took letter

- examined bed and blood until Zellner repeats himself

- got feathers from vase, pressed A to try and put hand down there, then pressed B

- looked at all items in inventory

- examined door and lock until exhausted

Edited by Knaussenheimer

• 2 months later...

Already in the first minutes of the game. I followed everything as literal as possible.

But when I want to pick the butterscotch in the bar I only can go outside. The man with the newspaper and the butterscotch shortly have a magnifying glass over them, but nothing else happens. Seriously. This is so annoying....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This guide/roadmap has been copied over to the Greenbook. This means that it is unfinished/unready to be published, and anybody is welcome to sign up to finish it off!

Each guide will have a brief paragraph describing what is needed to get it done and published.

If you can, please help us get this guide published to the site, and get your name eternally imprinted on the site!

If you are the OP, this doesn't mean you can't finish it off on your own, do that and we will remove it from the Greenbook :)

More information on Greenbook practices can be found in the Greenbook FAQ, here.