Main Characters Dying (Spoilers)

Aceman417

sometimes it works really well, the first game that comes to mi mind is The Walkind Dead, with Lee dying at the end but showing Clementine how to survive in this world by making sure Lee won't be a threat.. that was awesome

I thought Cole Phelps in L.A Noir, and John Marston in Red Dead Redemption was pretty cool, but the best for me has to be Booker DeWitt in Bioshock Infinite.

His death really wrapped up the story in a satisfying way; I feel like if they'd killed him in any other way, I would have felt cheated, and yet at the same time it was completely unexpected. Hands down one of the best endings in a game I've ever seen.

Lee from TWD. The game really loves pulling you're heart strings.

Dom dying was completely spoiled for me last year. (Picked up a copy last month.)

Cole Phelps. Now that death took me by surpise. I was disappointed that he was killed but it was unavoidable.

Some of the main characters, in my opinion, actually deserve to die because of the way they have mistreated others. And some that didn't deserve to die but their deaths was unavoidable and completely depressing.

Got to disagree with BiggD on killing the main character at the end of a trilogy, that's super predictable.

I jokingly changed my motto to 'Isaac Clarke Dies' earlier this year and wasn't sure if I was accidentally ruining it for myself.

And he did.....until he didn't.

The 'Press this button to save the world, but YOU'LL DIE THO' is rather trite too. Whoa heavy moral choice. But it gets easier the second, third, fourth, etc time.

It's not good writing, it's just cheap short cuts. The easy heart string pullers. Plus bellends tend to boil the story down to 'Yeah XXX dies at the end, don't buy it' when that happens.

Max Payne 3 could have well ended with him dying at the end on the beach, but it didn't. It's about a bodyguard who can't protect those in charge due to insurmountable odds, put into play by a 'bad' family member and takes on a conspiracy that involves Brazilian culture, but Max keeps at it 'til the end to give these pieces of shit their comeuppance even though anyone who can pay him is either dead or at the wrong end of his gun.

Everything that can go wrong does and he gets deeper into shit as the story progresses. The sense of 'Oh shit! There's no way he'll come out of this smelling of roses' is what makes it.

Had the ending of Halo: Reach described to me and that sounds like a pretty excellent finish for a game. But if everything that leads up to that moment is dull as shit then the story just becomes 'Yeah, they die' as mentioned above.

Bizarre example alert: Transporter 2 has the baddies get some contagious airbourne poison and Jason Statham is dealing with it, as you'd expect. But at some point they release just a tiny bit of it and a guy starts coughing, more and more and someone comes up to him and asks "Are you okay?". Oh shit. He's obviously not. Statham will save the day no doubt but I got an immense feeling of dread from that part as it felt like a few hundred/thousand innocents would still die in spite of his excellent roundhouse kicks.

Dom could have left a brick on the accelerator. What an idiot.

EDIT: Crysis 3 had a great story that would have made a better movie than a game. Shit just constantly getting worse when you thought you were doping what's best, escalating to stratospheric heights. You can fail the very final bit of the game to see a 'What If?' scenario which is arguably way worse than your character simply dying.

Man C3 was such a missed opportunity. It had all the pieces to rule but was just sort of Pfft.

Edited by Hurricane Of 87

Got to disagree with BiggD on killing the main character at the end of a trilogy, that's super predictable.

I jokingly changed my motto to 'Isaac Clarke Dies' earlier this year and wasn't sure if I was accidentally ruining it for myself.

And he did.....until he didn't.

The 'Press this button to save the world, but YOU'LL DIE THO' is rather trite too. Whoa heavy moral choice. But it gets easier the second, third, fourth, etc time.

It's not good writing, it's just cheap short cuts. The easy heart string pullers. Plus bellends tend to boil the story down to 'Yeah XXX dies at the end, don't buy it' when that happens.

Max Payne 3 could have well ended with him dying at the end on the beach, but it didn't. It's about a bodyguard who can't protect those in charge due to insurmountable odds, put into play by a 'bad' family member and takes on a conspiracy that involves Brazilian culture, but Max keeps at it 'til the end to give these pieces of shit their comeuppance even though anyone who can pay him is either dead or at the wrong end of his gun.

Everything that can go wrong does and he gets deeper into shit as the story progresses. The sense of 'Oh shit! There's no way he'll come out of this smelling of roses' is what makes it.

Had the ending of Halo: Reach described to me and that sounds like a pretty excellent finish for a game. But if everything that leads up to that moment is dull as shit then the story just becomes 'Yeah, they die' as mentioned above.

Bizarre example alert: Transporter 2 has the baddies get some contagious airbourne poison and Jason Statham is dealing with it, as you'd expect. But at some point they release just a tiny bit of it and a guy starts coughing, more and more and someone comes up to him and asks "Are you okay?". Oh shit. He's obviously not. Statham will save the day no doubt but I got an immense feeling of dread from that part as it felt like a few hundred/thousand innocents would still die in spite of his excellent roundhouse kicks.

Dom could have left a brick on the accelerator. What an idiot.

EDIT: Crysis 3 had a great story that would have made a better movie than a game. Shit just constantly getting worse when you thought you were doping what's best, escalating to stratospheric heights. You can fail the very final bit of the game to see a 'What If?' scenario which is arguably way worse than your character simply dying.

Man C3 was such a missed opportunity. It had all the pieces to rule but was just sort of Pfft.

Your whole post reminds me of Dishonoured, where if you aren't quick enough you let the princess die. Happened to me first ending and I just thought, seriously going through all that shit for nothing?

Love it. It's kind of like Game of Thrones. It's nice when a story isn't so predictable and peachy where the good guys always win and survive till the end. I loved Dom's death in Gears 3, Aerith's in FFVII, even Cole Phelps in LA Noire. It's always made better when they throw in some leitmotif where music kicks in and sends a few chills down the spine (the Mad World tune for Dom, for example). I wish more games did it.

You are the first person that thought Cole dying in LA Noir was a good thing. I thought it was lazy and a letdown,plus the way he died,he might as well be in the next Final Destination movie. I thought it was BS and I have yet to touch that game in months since I got that ending. I was cussing at the TV and saying FU Team Bondi.

I liked how John Marston died in RDR. People forget there was no way for him ever starting ''new''. He tried that but the Government came for his family again. I thought his ending was epic how no matter what one man cannot kill an army alone. Then playing as his son Jack that was awesome.

I was crying when Dom was commiting suicide. I was like ''No Don't you do it you son of a bitch'' He was with me since Gears 1. He was a robot kinda,hes not real but look at Cast away Tom Hanks being best friends with the volley ball cause it was his companion for 3 years. Dom was kinda like that lol.

It can be good depends on the story. It can also be bad.

Edited by Deadsea 1993

You are the first person that thought Cole dying in LA Noir was a good thing. I thought it was lazy and a letdown,plus the way he died,he might as well be in the next Final Destination movie. I thought it was BS and I have yet to touch that game in months since I got that ending. I was cussing at the TV and saying FU Team Bondi.

Yeah I just thought after his whole downfall it was a break for the guy. And I enjoy games where the person you've been playing as for 90% of the time dies.

And I agree with everyone saying the way Dom died was silly. My friend wouldn't stop asking why he didn't just throw a few grenades or something.

Yeah I just thought after his whole downfall it was a break for the guy. And I enjoy games where the person you've been playing as for 90% of the time dies.

And I agree with everyone saying the way Dom died was silly. My friend wouldn't stop asking why he didn't just throw a few grenades or something.

Naw DOM was already in the vehicle and the place was swarming with Locusts. I thought the way he died was EPIC. GEARS 3 was my GOTY 2011 ;)

Cole didn't have too much of a downfall. If you rember he was framed by the Vice Partner. After he was framed he went into deppresion cause he was demoted and his wife kicked him out and then he had sex with the Jazz hooker. SO basically instead of facing his problems like a man he fucks a hooker. I lost all respect for Cole at the end. What a pussy Cole was for doing that. He bitches at his partners the whole game about ''Rigeousness and Justice'' but he has an affair,nice job hippocrite.

Edited by Deadsea 1993

I guess just expecting that "good will prevail," I'm either shocked, or even saddened when a main character dies...

I think I cried when Aerith died... Hell, I remember being sad when one of the characters died in Phantasy Star 4.

http://global3.memecdn.com/cloud-strife_o_196587.jpg

With Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire I was shocked at how they each died... Red Dead I was shocked. LA Noire, I figured maybe that's how all Rockstar games end -- they're the only two I've played... kinda scared to play their table tennis game...

I'm pretty sure main characters die a lot when players make mistakes.

On point though I don't see why it's not a bad thing. I mean if it's done in a stupid way then it'll suck, or more to the point it causes a paradox in a trilogy or anything. Like if a main charcter dies in a game as a plot point but in the next game is alive is stupid.

I think Army of Two did this.

I guess just expecting that "good will prevail," I'm either shocked, or even saddened when a main character dies...

I think I cried when Aerith died... Hell, I remember being sad when one of the characters died in Phantasy Star 4.

http://global3.memecdn.com/cloud-strife_o_196587.jpg

With Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire I was shocked at how they each died... Red Dead I was shocked. LA Noire, I figured maybe that's how all Rockstar games end -- they're the only two I've played... kinda scared to play their table tennis game...

RDR shocked me quite a bit. I honestly thought I was going to be able to kill them all...

I'm going to re-post and build off my earlier idea.

I think it can be "good" when the main character dies, but it cannot be predictable, and it can't be a slow death because then there's no shock value.

So before I said if the main character died at the end of a trilogy, it could be good. Well now I'm going to say that the main character dying at any point of a video game series or movie is great when done with a huge surprise or twist.

Two movie examples I always use in this topic are The Departed and Shutter Island (even though he didn't die in the end, only lobotomized).

Enjoying the story is what I look for, regardless if the main character of the story lives or not. If I feel his doings throughout the movie makes the character deserving to be alive, such as not having the plot just "magically" set something up so he can survive an impossible encounter or obstacle, but instead do everything by his or her self, then I'm fine.

Kinda hard for me to hit the point here, but I hope I'm understandable. xD

• 2 weeks later...

Someone said Dom could have left a brick on the accelerator in Gears 3 ?

@ That person. Please play Gears 1-3 again. By Gears 3 Dom was already emotionaly disturbed from Maria and his child's death. He wanted an honorable death and he saw a selfless sacrafice as the best way to do it.

What did you want ?

Dom goes into a room behind a curtain,puts the lancer to his head blows his brains out ?

If you think about it there would be no ''good ending'' for DOM even if he got a new woman,he would never forget his wife or child.

Who else cried when Tai commited suicide in Gears 2. I said ''Tai NO''. Then I screamed (I'm laughing right now at this)

''I'm gonna kill ALL of you Locust Fuckers You hear me. I'm sending you all to Hell !''

I think everyone was shocked outside of my room ha ha

Edited by Deadsea 1993